Topics

W1EBM requests help: to get new LookUp calls shown in QRZ.com

Gary Smetana

Hi Dave,

Got the new PC and DXlab's apps working fine, except....I can't remember how to make any new call entered in DXcapture & hit Lookup.... to find the call in QRZ.com.

Couldn't find the Wiki-help file for this.

Think it's one setting; looked across all of the CONFIG's for each app., but couldn't find what to do.

DID find how to make it happen automatically or via a manual request....
but not how to set it to communicate w/QRZ.com

Please send the Wiki.  Thanks.

Gary  de W1EBM

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 06:11 PM, Gary Smetana wrote:

Got the new PC and DXlab's apps working fine, except....I can't remember how to make any new call entered in DXcapture & hit Lookup.... to find the call in QRZ.com.

Couldn't find the Wiki-help file for this.

Think it's one setting; looked across all of the CONFIG's for each app., but couldn't find what to do.

DID find how to make it happen automatically or via a manual request....
but not how to set it to communicate w/QRZ.com

Please send the Wiki.  Thanks.
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CallbookLookup>

Gary Smetana

Dave,

Step 2.a.     below     I can't find where -  in the Pathfinder Config. page  - to enter a URL.
    I can't see where in the Pathfinder Confir. page to enter a URL....a.      below.....

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 06:11 PM, Gary Smetana wrote:

Got the new PC and DXlab's apps working fine, except....I can't remember how to make any new call entered in DXcapture & hit Lookup.... to find the call in QRZ.com.

Couldn't find the Wiki-help file for this.

Think it's one setting; looked across all of the CONFIG's for each app., but couldn't find what to do.

DID find how to make it happen automatically or via a manual request....
but not how to set it to communicate w/QRZ.com

Please send the Wiki.  Thanks.
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CallbookLookup>

Gary Smetana

Hi Dave,

2nd of 2 replies

I typed EA8CN into DXcapture.

Hit LOOKUP

EA8CN appeared in the main window  Log Display

DXview did not change from its previous call lookup.

Pathfinder didn't open EA8CN

Got the error message:  "Not connected to Pathfinder"

Can't  find my error in my set-up per the wiki...

Where to look ?...

73,
Gary

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 06:11 PM, Gary Smetana wrote:

Got the new PC and DXlab's apps working fine, except....I can't remember how to make any new call entered in DXcapture & hit Lookup.... to find the call in QRZ.com.

Couldn't find the Wiki-help file for this.

Think it's one setting; looked across all of the CONFIG's for each app., but couldn't find what to do.

DID find how to make it happen automatically or via a manual request....
but not how to set it to communicate w/QRZ.com

Please send the Wiki.  Thanks.
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CallbookLookup>

Gary Smetana

R E  -  S E N D I N G    W I T H   S N I P P I T this time

Step 2.a.     below     I can't find where -  in the Pathfinder Config. page  - to enter a URL.
    I can't see where in the Pathfinder Config. page to enter a URL..

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 06:58 PM, Gary Smetana wrote:

R E  -  S E N D I N G    W I T H   S N I P P I T this time

+ Screen shots are not conveyed by this group.

Step 2.a.     below     I can't find where -  in the Pathfinder Config. page  - to enter a URL.
    I can't see where in the Pathfinder Config. page to enter a URL..

+ That's an error in the documentation; what was previously step 2.a in the "Configuring DXKeeper to use QRZ.com via Pathfinder" section has been replaced by what is now steps 3, 3a, and 3b in that section.

+ Thanks for reporting this, Gary!

+ I am under the impression from pir previous interactions that you had a subscription to QRZ's XML service. While this service is not free, it is much faster than "QRZ.com via Pathfinder", as using Pathfinder to obtain callbook data from QRZ means waiting for an entire web page with advertising to be rendered, whereas QRZ's XML service just conveys the results of the callbook lookup as text. Also, "QRZ.com via Pathfinder" is rate-limited to one lookup every 4 seconds.

Gary Smetana

Dave,

ACK on No Screen Shots.

I changed to the XML QRZ.com subscription.

I confirmed the correct Password in QRZ.com and in the places in DXkeeper, etc.

I entered AA6YQ in Capture and hit LOOKUP.

DXview brought up AA6YQ
DXkeeper put AA6YQ into Log Display.

But Nothing on Pathfinder.   Get an Error message:  "Unable to Search QRZ.   No target call sign specified"

What setting am I missing ?

Gary

[...]

+ With DXView and Pathfinder running, what letters are present between the square brackets in the title bar of DXKeeper's Main
window?

I changed to the XML QRZ.com subscription.

I confirmed the correct Password in QRZ.com and in the places in DXkeeper, etc.

I entered AA6YQ in Capture and hit LOOKUP.

DXview brought up AA6YQ

DXkeeper put AA6YQ into Log Display.

But Nothing on Pathfinder. Get an Error message: "Unable to Search QRZ. No target call sign specified"

What setting am I missing ?

+ See

<https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/188689>

Gary Smetana

RE: what letters are present between the square brackets in the title bar of DXKeeper's Main
window?

--->  PF, DXV

EA8CN appeared in the main window  Log Display

DXview did not change from its previous call lookup.

Pathfinder didn't open EA8CN

Got the error message:  "Not connected to Pathfinder"

Can't  find my error in my set-up per the wiki...

Where to look ?...

+ With DXView and Pathfinder running, what letters are present between the square brackets in the title bar of DXKeeper's Main
window?

Gary Smetana

Dave,

The link you gave me is the same message as in your previous email ...nothing new in it

<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.io%2Fg%2FDXLab%2Fmessage%2F188689&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C41a9bfce91f043e9d9d808d76014081e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637083511455246877&amp;sdata=Gb4lZUqLc9rcP6FOE5xcaCdxGRTgi2iSLg3rqlEiHz8%3D&amp;reserved=0>

RE: what letters are present between the square brackets in the title bar of DXKeeper's Main window?

---> PF, DXV

+ Good.

+ With DXView and Pathfinder running, please type my callsign into the "call" box in the upper-left corner of DXKeeper's Capture
window, and then strike the Enter or Tab key.

+ Is DXView's Main window populated with my callsign and information about my location?

+ Did my callsign box appear in the textbox near the upper-left corner of Pathfinder's Main window?

+ Does Pathfinder show the results of a QRZ lookup of my callsign?

Gary Smetana

------> See my inserted text below

RE: what letters are present between the square brackets in the title bar of DXKeeper's Main window?

--->  PF, DXV

+ Good.

+ With DXView and Pathfinder running, please type my callsign into the "call" box in the upper-left corner of DXKeeper's Capture
window, and then strike the Enter or Tab key.

+ Is DXView's Main window populated with my callsign and information about my location?
------->  Yes

+ Did my callsign box appear in the textbox near the upper-left corner of Pathfinder's Main window?
----> Yes

+ Does Pathfinder show the results of a QRZ lookup of my callsign?
----->  Yes

---->  I've been hitting the LOOKUP tab at bottom of DXcapture.    (Not the Enter or Tab key).      Been doing it wrong all these years ...?  But it used to work fine...

73,
Gary de W1EBM

Gary Smetana

Dave,

Maybe using ENTER switched something...cuz now it's working fine, via the LOOKUP tab.

All data presentations happen, and look correct..

Is there anything I should do to SAVE the settings ?

Thank you for the close contact support tonight.     Much appreciated.

73 & Good Night.

Gary  de W1EBM   CL

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 09:57 PM, Gary Smetana wrote:

Maybe using ENTER switched something...cuz now it's working fine, via the LOOKUP tab.

+ Using the Enter key makes no change to your settings. One possibility is that your firewall and anti-malware applications are not configured to consider your DXLab applications to be safe, and so initially prevented them from interoperating.

All data presentations happen, and look correct..

Is there anything I should do to SAVE the settings ?

+ The only setting you changed was checking the Auto box in the QRZ search window, but that change was saved when you clicked the QRZ search window's "Save..." button.

Gary Smetana

Dave,

All is well.

LOOKUP's of new calls are operating fine.  All windows update correctly.

RE:  "your firewall and anti-malware applications are not configured to consider your DXLab applications to be safe, and so initially prevented them from interoperating.

I use Windows Defender, and have  "excluded" each of the DXlab application  .exe files.  Plus, for safe measure, also added the DXlab folder as an exclusion.
Maybe these Exclusions - defining them as "safe" -  will stop any anti-malware processing delays ..

Not sure how to do the same to avoid unnecessary Firewall processing.....will do some research.