Topics

VP8PJ

g wightman

The DX Expedition VP8PJ to the South Orkney Island shows that it is in the Falkland Islands. How do I fix this so the correct entity  and beam heading is shown?

Gary WA8MCD

The DX Expedition VP8PJ to the South Orkney Island shows that it is in the Falkland Islands. How do I fix this so the correct entity and beam heading is shown?

+ Define an override that specifies the correct entity and location, as described in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateEntityOverride>

+ You can test it by entering VP8PJ in DXView's Main window and striking the Enter key.

* AA6YQ comments below

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 01:36 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

The DX Expedition VP8PJ to the South Orkney Island shows that it is in the Falkland Islands. How do I fix this so the correct entity and beam heading is shown?

+ Define an override that specifies the correct entity and location, as described in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateEntityOverride>

+ You can test it by entering VP8PJ in DXView's Main window and striking the Enter key.

* To see if Club Log and/or BigCTY would provide an accurate override for VP8PJ, I directed DXView to update its Override List from those two sources. The result leaves an Override from BigCTY that defines VP8PJ as being in Antarctica.

* I manually corrected this Override to specify South Orkney, and then directed SpotCollector to recompute.

Barry Murrell ZS2EZ

Incidentally, the ClubLog override list correctly gives an override for VP8PJ as South Orkney – the BigCTY list then reverts it to Antarctica!

I simply then ran the Clublog list AFTER the BigCTY list, and VP8PJ is showing correctly!

73 de BARRY MURRELL ZS2EZ

KF26ta - Port Elizabeth, South Africa

EPC#0558 DMC#1690  30MDG#4081

DXCC HONOR ROLL (332/340)

DXCC(mixed)#41,146  DXCC(RTTY)#1,916

DXCC(phone)#34,990  DXCC(CW)#11,714

DXCC 80m,40m,30m,20m,17m,15m,12m,10m   5BDXCC#8,916

WAS Triple Play #492  WAS(RTTY)#538  WAS(Digital)#163-Endorsements JT65,FT8

WAZ(RTTY)#185  WAE-I(mixed)#72  WAZS(mixed)#214  AAA#1569

AS ZR6DXB: VUCC(50MHZ)#1,334  UKSMG WAE(Silver)#75  UKSMG AFRICA#22  WAC (Satellite)

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 01:36 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

The DX Expedition VP8PJ to the South Orkney Island shows that it is in the Falkland Islands. How do I fix this so the correct entity and beam heading is shown?

+ Define an override that specifies the correct entity and location, as described in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateEntityOverride>

+ You can test it by entering VP8PJ in DXView's Main window and striking the Enter key.

* To see if Club Log and/or BigCTY would provide an accurate override for VP8PJ, I directed DXView to update its Override List from those two sources. The result leaves an Override from BigCTY that defines VP8PJ as being in Antarctica.

* I manually corrected this Override to specify South Orkney, and then directed SpotCollector to recompute.

Jim Denneny

Hi Dave

Followed your directions above (or least thought I did) for So Orkney but VP8PJ still coming up Falklands.  Here are my exception entries:
Callsign: VP8PJ
Entity: South Orkney Islands
Location: South Orkney Islands
CQ 13
ITU: 73
Grid 1,2,3,4: Empty
Continent: AN
TimeZone:3
Source: User
StartDate: 2020-02-20
EndDate: 2020-03-10
Override Filter: None
Overrides; 1/1
User, ClubLog, BigCTY, Unexpired boxes are checked.

What am I missing?
73, Jim K7EG

Björn Ekelund, SM7IUN

You do not have to do this manually. Just download Club Log's exception list.

In DXView's config panel, select the Override List tab. Ctrl-Click on Club Log. Done.

Björn SM7IUN

Den lör 22 feb. 2020 kl 13:37 skrev Jim Denneny <57JNDenneny@...>:

Hi Dave

Followed your directions above (or least thought I did) for So Orkney but VP8PJ still coming up Falklands.  Here are my exception entries:
Callsign: VP8PJ
Entity: South Orkney Islands
Location: South Orkney Islands
CQ 13
ITU: 73
Grid 1,2,3,4: Empty
Continent: AN
TimeZone:3
Source: User
StartDate: 2020-02-20
EndDate: 2020-03-10
Override Filter: None
Overrides; 1/1
User, ClubLog, BigCTY, Unexpired boxes are checked.

What am I missing?
73, Jim K7EG

Michael Raskin

Björn – I have been a DXLab user for many years and never knew this!  I have been doing this manually.  Thanks for the tip as this is the best and easiest way to update.  What a robust program DXLab is – much more than just a “logging” program.  Thanks again, Dave, for creating, maintaining, and updating the best “logging” program I have ever used.

73,
Mike, W4UM
FCG
SFDXA

[...]

The feature is actually quite new.

I update my overrides about once a month.

What would ham radio be without Dave? Not the same for me at least.

Björn

Den lör 22 feb. 2020 kl 15:36 skrev Michael Raskin <rask1553@...>:

[...]

+ What actions are you taking that result in "coming up Falklands"?

Björn – I have been a DXLab user for many years and never knew this!

+ The replacement of DXView's 16 fixed overrides with an Override List limited only by available storage with the ability to download overrides from Club Log was publicly released with DXView 4.4.6 in November 2018:

<https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/181818>

You do not have to do this manually. Just download Club Log's exception list.

In DXView's config panel, select the Override List tab. Ctrl-Click on Club Log. Done.

Björn SM7IUN

bill steffey NY9H

I had done this manually, then thought to go do the clublog update.... then I notice

that the update says  continent is SA     I think is is supposed to be AN ??????????

On 2/22/2020 11:26 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Björn – I have been a DXLab user for many years and never knew this!

+ The replacement of DXView's 16 fixed overrides with an Override List limited only by available storage with the ability to download overrides from Club Log was publicly released with DXView 4.4.6 in November 2018:

<https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/181818>

You do not have to do this manually. Just download Club Log's exception list.
In DXView's config panel, select the Override List tab. Ctrl-Click on Club Log. Done.
Björn SM7IUN

iain macdonnell - N6ML

SA is the correct continent (according to the ARRL DXCC list).

Note that an override from Club Log will not include location, so you
may want to add the grid (GC79eh) to get useful headings.

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 11:20 AM bill steffey NY9H <Ny9h@...> wrote:

[...]

+ The ARRL's DXCC List shows South Orkney's continent as South America:

<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/DXCC/2019%20DXCC%20Current.pdf>

ray cathode

Dave,

So which continent  do we use?

The IOTA web site say's AN-008 is Antarctica.

ANTARCTICA

SOUTH ORKNEY ISLANDS AN-008
Various a. SOUTH ORKNEY ISLANDS (=South Orkney Isls [namely
Coronation, Inaccessible Isls, Lars en Isls,
Laurie [Orcadas Base
LU*Z], Powell, Si gny
[Signy Base VP8]])

WIKIPEDIA has this info

The South Orkney Islands are a group of islands in the Southern Ocean, about 604 kilometres (375 mi) north-east of the tip of the Antarctic Peninsula[1] and 844 kilometres (524 mi) south-west of South Georgia Island. They have a total area of about 620 square kilometres (240 sq mi). The islands are claimed both by Britain (as part of the British Antarctic Territory since 1962, previously as a Falkland Islands Dependency), and by Argentina as part of Argentine Antarctica. Under the 1959 Antarctic Treaty, sovereignty claims are held in abeyance.

Could ARRL have it wrong? or not made an update since 1962?

When setting my override it did populate it with SA, but i have since changed it to AN

On Saturday, February 22, 2020, 1:36:03 PM CST, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

I had done this manually, then thought to go do the clublog update....
then I notice

that the update says  continent is SA    I think is is supposed to be AN ??????????

+ The ARRL's DXCC List shows South Orkney's continent as South America:

<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/DXCC/2019%20DXCC%20Current.pdf>

So which continent do we use?

The IOTA web site say's AN-008 is Antarctica.

ANTARCTICA

SOUTH ORKNEY ISLANDS AN-008
Various a. SOUTH ORKNEY ISLANDS (=South Orkney Isls [namely Coronation, Inaccessible Isls, Lars en Isls, Laurie [Orcadas Base LU*Z], Powell, Si gny [Signy Base VP8]])

+ That depends on whether you're pursuing the ARRL's "Worked All Continents" award, or IOTA's Antarctica and South America awards.

Jim Denneny

Gary

I found an easy fix by accident.  Open DXView.  Co to Config > Exception List.  Click Clublog button.  That populates your list with Clublog exceptions.  There is also a BigCty button.  Take your choice and you are done.

73, Jim K7EG

Jim Denneny

Problem Solved