Topics

VHF Mode - dxkeeper

Tom Melvin <tom@...>

Been looking at a replacement logger and few people raved about dxkeeper mainly for the award tracking and QSL uploads.

I operate 99% of the time on VHF - I added a few 'dummy' entries and found I cannot get rid of the HF frequencies in check progress - I can't even see the VHF ones (other than 2/6m). Filtering seems to skip 13 cms (and others).

Bug? -- Fresh install the 'Reports' folder was not created so had lots of 'File Not Found' errors - selecting Maidenhead (or was or wab any options really I get 'Cannot find the file c:\program files (x86)\dxkeeper\reports\gm8mjv 'xxxxxx.txt file.' Where xxxxx is name of award.  The Reports button shows no files in Reports folder.  Imported an adi file from old logger - QSO's came over - still nothing in reports.

How do I set the software to show the bands I want to track/chase?
How can I get the reports side working?
Is this software only aimed at HF operators

Tom
GM8MJV = IO85

Been looking at a replacement logger and few people raved about dxkeeper mainly for the award tracking and QSL uploads.

I operate 99% of the time on VHF - I added a few 'dummy' entries and found I cannot get rid of the HF frequencies in check progress - I can't even see the VHF ones (other than 2/6m).

+ For each award, bands are tracked as required by its rules. VUCC, for example, is tracked on 6M, 2M, 1.25M, 70 CM, 33 CM, 23 CM, and "13 CM and up".

Filtering seems to skip 13 cms (and others).

+ The "Band Filter" panel on the "Advanced Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window provides checkboxes for popular bands. You can filter the Log Page Display for any band -- or for combinations of bands -- using SQL expressions. You can associate user-defined SQL filters with buttons, making it easy to quickly invoke them.

Bug? -- Fresh install the 'Reports' folder was not created so had lots of 'File Not Found' errors - selecting Maidenhead (or was or wab any options really I get 'Cannot find the file c:\program files (x86)\dxkeeper\reports\gm8mjv 'xxxxxx.txt file.' Where xxxxx is name of award. The Reports button shows no files in Reports folder. Imported an adi file from old logger - QSO's came over - still nothing in reports.

+ By default, the Launcher installs itself and DXKeeper in

C:\DXLab

+ The error message you report above implied that you have DXKeeper installed in

c:\program files (x86)\dxkeeper\

+ As stated in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/InstallLauncher>

+ Windows considers c:\program files (x86)\ to be a "protected folder", and requires applications installed there to have Administrative Privileges. If DXKeeper could not create the Reports folder, it likely the result of insufficient privileges given your choice of installation folder.

How do I set the software to show the bands I want to track/chase?

+ What awards are you pursuing for which bands are not being shown?

How can I get the reports side working?

+ I suggest that you start by determining why DXKeeper is being prevented from creating a Results folder. Until that impediment is removed, many functions will fail to operate correctly.

Is this software only aimed at HF operators

+ DXLab's primary audience is DXers; it provides strong support for pursing the DXCC, IOTA, Marathon, VUCC, WAS, WAZ, and WPX awards, interoperating with Club Log, eQSL, and LoTW. DXLab's secondary audience is general operation, with strong support for the K1JT modes (via its direct interoperation with WSJT-X) and satellite tracking (via its direction interoperation with SatPC32).

+ So no, DXLab is not aimed only at HF operators.

Tom Melvin <tom@...>

| + I suggest that you start by determining why DXKeeper is being prevented from creating a
|  Results folder. Until that impediment is removed, many functions will fail to operate correctly.

Dave

Found where it came from, following the manual steps in:

Step 3 - Click ‘here' to …. - downloaded ok but for some reason when selected appears in Italian - see attachment.

Step 5 of the download instructions do not make any reference to changing the default install location running setup all the defaults are for Program Files (x86) see attachment.

That was where it went wrong initially.

I over-ride the defaults and install in C:\DXLAB then yes the reports folder is created, yes maidenhead squares (and others) are updated.

|| How do I set the software to show the bands I want to track/chase?
|| + What awards are you pursuing for which bands are not being shown?

I just want to see which bands I have worked an entity on, looking at the attachment I can see I have worked GM but on what band?

If I am doing for example DXCC on say 4m I can’t check progress - I would like to remove all the HF bands and replace them with 4,6,2,70,23,13 etc.  While ARRL DXCC does not specifically mention 4m it does cover 70cms - no sign of it as a band in 'check progress'.

Even with the Maidenhead option, looks like an issue with filtering

GM8MJV Maidenhead Gridsquares Report 09-Jan-2020
Log Filter: Band = 13CM

Grids worked or confirmed: 2
Grids Confirmed:           0

Count   Grid    Callsign     Date and Time     Band   Mode
1 IO85 GM8MNG 09-Jan-2020 11:47 13CM SSB
2 IO86 GM8TSI 09-Jan-2020 11:39  4M SSB

How come with a 'Log filter' of 13CM set I am getting 4m QSO’s - I could not see an easy option to specify SQL for reports so it may be I have cocked that up.

DXKeeper does certainly seem to work for it’s primary market HF DX chasing but it does seem a bit of a guddle for anything other than that.

Regards

--
73’s

Tom
GM8MJV (IO85)

On 9 Jan 2020, at 09:54, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ I suggest that you start by determining why DXKeeper is being prevented from creating a Results folder. Until that impediment is removed, many functions will fail to operate correctly.

Dave AA6YQ

* more AA6YQ comments below

| + I suggest that you start by determining why DXKeeper is being
| + prevented from creating a
| Results folder. Until that impediment is removed, many functions will fail to operate correctly.

Found where it came from, following the manual steps in:

dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/download.htm

* The first sentenced in those instructions informs you that the DXLab Launcher will automate the process of downloading and
installing DXLab applications, and hyperlinks to the instructions:

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/InstallingDXLabApplications>

* Following the manual instructions does work correctly.

Step 3 - Click 'here' to .. - downloaded ok but for some reason when selected appears in Italian - see attachment.

* Attachments aren't supported here. Step 3 downloads a zip archive. I just tested it, and it works correctly.

Step 5 of the download instructions do not make any reference to changing the default install location running setup all the
defaults are for Program Files (x86) see attachment.

* The hyperlink entitled Overview at the top of the web page provides that information.

That was where it went wrong initially.

I over-ride the defaults and install in C:\DXLAB then yes the reports folder is created, yes maidenhead squares (and others) are
updated.

|| How do I set the software to show the bands I want to track/chase?
|| + What awards are you pursuing for which bands are not being shown?

I just want to see which bands I have worked an entity on, looking at the attachment I can see I have worked GM but on what band?

* There are three ways to do that:

1. View DXKeeper's "Realtime Award Tracking":

1a. on the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab, click the RAT button to display the "Realtime Award Tracking" window

1b. select the "Realtime Award Tracking" windows DXCC tab

1c. scroll down to row for the entity in question

2. Direct DXKeeper to generated a DXCC Progress Report: on the Main window's "Check Progress" tab, click the "DXCC, Challenge, &
TopList" panel's "Progress" button

3. Type the entity's prefix (or a callsign from the entity) into DXView's Main window, which will then display the DXCC award
progress for the entity; selecting a logged QSO in DXKeeper will automatically update DXView's Main window to display progress.

If I am doing for example DXCC on say 4m I can't check progress - I would like to remove all the HF bands and replace them with
4,6,2,70,23,13 etc. While ARRL DXCC does not specifically mention 4m it does cover 70cms - no sign of it as a band in 'check
progress'.

* As described in section 1 of

<http://www.arrl.org/dxcc-rules>

* the DXCC award program applies to QSOs made on the 160m, 80m, 40m, 30m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, 10m, 6m, 2m, and 70cm. DXKeeper
supports the tracking of DXCC on all of those bands except 70cm. When I started developing DXKeeper back in 2001, I did not include
support for 70cm because so few ops were pursue DXCC on that band; as you can see in the standings, only 10 ops worldwide have
achieved DXCC:

<http://www.arrl.org/system/dxcc/view/DXCC-70CM-20200109-USLetter.pdf>

* Since then, there has been little interest expressed in 70cm DXCC support.

Even with the Maidenhead option, looks like an issue with filtering

GM8MJV Maidenhead Gridsquares Report 09-Jan-2020 Log Filter: Band = 13CM

Grids worked or confirmed: 2
Grids Confirmed: 0

Count Grid Callsign Date and Time Band Mode
1 IO85 GM8MNG 09-Jan-2020 11:47 13CM SSB
2 IO86 GM8TSI 09-Jan-2020 11:39 4M SSB

* This is what the header of the Maidenhead Gridsquare Report looks like when invoked on DXKeeper version 15.3.1 with the Log Page
Display filtered for 13cm only:

AA6YQ Maidenhead Gridsquares Report 09-Jan-2020
Log Filter: band='13cm'

How come with a 'Log filter' of 13CM set I am getting 4m QSO's

* My first guess, given your use of the manual installation procedure, is that you may not be running the current version of
DXKeeper. What version number appears in the title bar of DXKeeper's Main window?

I could not see an easy option to specify SQL for reports so it may be I have cocked that up.

* type the following in the Filter panel's textbox at the bottom of the Main window's "Log QSOs" panel

band = '13cm'

* and then depress the CTRL key while clicking the S button. The Log Page Display should show only QSOs whose band items are set to
13cm

* An introduction to filtering the Log Page Display is here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSOFiltering>

* The Reference Documentation for filtering the Log Page Display is here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/FilterLog.htm>

* and filtering with SQL expressions is described here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/SQL.htm>

DXKeeper does certainly seem to work for it's primary market HF DX chasing but it does seem a bit of a guddle for anything other
than that.

* DXKeeper provides full support for DXCC awards on 6m, 2m, and satellites, and for VUCC awards on 6m, 2m, 1.25m, 70 cm, 33cm, 23cm,
"13 cm and up", and satellites. You can generate a Maidenhead grid square progress report for the 6m, 2m, 1.25m, 70 cm, 33cm, 23cm,
13cm, 9cm, 6cm, 3cm, 1.25cm, 6mm, 4mm, 2.5mm, 2mm, 1mm, or submm bands.

* If more than a handful of ops worldwide were pursuing DXCC on 70cm, I would extend DXKeeper to support it.