Topics

VE7CC - Spot Source

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 6:15 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Contesters make extensive use of the CC User model (inserted infront of their context logging software) - or at least they did when I was involved a while back. If anyone's more sensitive to spot latency than DXers, it'd be contesters.

+ Have they measured the added latency and decided it was acceptable, or do they just employ CC User because they have no alternative?
I'm fairly sure that N1MM Logger[+] has/had its own spot filtering
capabilities too... but I haven't been in that world for a while.

I see no reason to suspect that CC User would add more than a fraction
of a second of latency. Do you have reason to believe that it would?

I doubt that anyone would attempt to measure it unless there was some
perception of it being a problem. I've never heard of such a
perception.

~iain / N6ML

Dave AA6YQ

$ AA6YQ comments below

+ AA6YQ comments below

Contesters make extensive use of the CC User model (inserted infront of their context logging software) - or at least they did when I was involved a while back. If anyone's more sensitive to spot latency than DXers, it'd be contesters.

+ Have they measured the added latency and decided it was acceptable, or do they just employ CC User because they have no alternative?
I'm fairly sure that N1MM Logger[+] has/had its own spot filtering capabilities too... but I haven't been in that world for a while.

I see no reason to suspect that CC User would add more than a fraction of a second of latency. Do you have reason to believe that it would?

$ 50 years of professional hardware and software engineering have taught me that "guilty until proven innocent" is the appropriate outlook.

$ My concern with the unnecessary use of CC User is not latency, but rather unnecessary CPU and memory consumption, and "one more thing to break".

Dave, AA6YQ

Henk Remijn PA5KT

It also has a nice gui which works better then spotcollector, at least for me.

During contests I dont run spotcollector.

73 Henk PA5KT

Op 17-10-2020 om 03:34 schreef Dave AA6YQ:

$ AA6YQ comments below

+ AA6YQ comments below

I'm fairly sure that N1MM Logger[+] has/had its own spot filtering capabilities too... but I haven't been in that world for a while.

I see no reason to suspect that CC User would add more than a fraction of a second of latency. Do you have reason to believe that it would?

$ 50 years of professional hardware and software engineering have taught me that "guilty until proven innocent" is the appropriate outlook.

$ My concern with the unnecessary use of CC User is not latency, but rather unnecessary CPU and memory consumption, and "one more thing to break".

Dave, AA6YQ