Topics

VE7CC - Spot Source

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 6:15 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Contesters make extensive use of the CC User model (inserted infront of their context logging software) - or at least they did when I was involved a while back. If anyone's more sensitive to spot latency than DXers, it'd be contesters.

+ Have they measured the added latency and decided it was acceptable, or do they just employ CC User because they have no alternative?
I'm fairly sure that N1MM Logger[+] has/had its own spot filtering
capabilities too... but I haven't been in that world for a while.

I see no reason to suspect that CC User would add more than a fraction
of a second of latency. Do you have reason to believe that it would?

I doubt that anyone would attempt to measure it unless there was some
perception of it being a problem. I've never heard of such a
perception.

73,

~iain / N6ML

Dave AA6YQ

$ AA6YQ comments below

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 6:15 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Contesters make extensive use of the CC User model (inserted infront of their context logging software) - or at least they did when I was involved a while back. If anyone's more sensitive to spot latency than DXers, it'd be contesters.

+ Have they measured the added latency and decided it was acceptable, or do they just employ CC User because they have no alternative?
I'm fairly sure that N1MM Logger[+] has/had its own spot filtering capabilities too... but I haven't been in that world for a while.

I see no reason to suspect that CC User would add more than a fraction of a second of latency. Do you have reason to believe that it would?

$ 50 years of professional hardware and software engineering have taught me that "guilty until proven innocent" is the appropriate outlook.

$ My concern with the unnecessary use of CC User is not latency, but rather unnecessary CPU and memory consumption, and "one more thing to break".

Henk Remijn PA5KT

It also has a nice gui which works better then spotcollector, at least for me.

During contests I dont run spotcollector.

73 Henk PA5KT

$ AA6YQ comments below