Topics

USSR and the former Eastern Bloc

Abie Alexander

Hi,

My imports of nearly 16K QSOs into DXKeeper seemed to be working beautifully, until I uploaded an ADIF export file into Club Log.

Club Log came up with long list of error messages relating to former republics of the USSR and to countries of the Eastern Bloc.

I had the entities logged correctly in my previous self-created log. How did they get changed to the post USSR entities? How can I change them back? Or is it something that has to be done manually for each entry? All affected QSOs are pre-1989.

Is there anything in the Config. settings to prevent such automatic resettings?

Will I have to make changes to the LoTW and eQSL.cc logs as well?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

73,

Abie/AB1F

ND9G Mike

You can run the FIX_USSR script to correct these.

73,
Mike ND9G

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 11:26 AM Abie Alexander <ab1f@...> wrote:

Hi,

My imports of nearly 16K QSOs into DXKeeper seemed to be working beautifully, until I uploaded an ADIF export file into Club Log.

Club Log came up with long list of error messages relating to former republics of the USSR and to countries of the Eastern Bloc.

I had the entities logged correctly in my previous self-created log. How did they get changed to the post USSR entities? How can I change them back? Or is it something that has to be done manually for each entry? All affected QSOs are pre-1989.

Is there anything in the Config. settings to prevent such automatic resettings?

Will I have to make changes to the LoTW and eQSL.cc logs as well?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

73,

Abie/AB1F

Joe Subich, W4TV

I had the entities logged correctly in my previous self-created log.
How did they get changed to the post USSR entities?
The ADIF file exported by your previous logger failed to contain the
"country number". DXKeeper imports any QSO without the "country
number" using the current callsign rules.

How can I change them back?
1) BACKUP YOUR LOG!
2) click the "~" button in the lower right until you see a button
labeled "Scripts"
3) Click the "Scripts" button and select/run "FIX_USSR"

That script will reassign country to callsigns from the former USSR
for roughly 1970 - 1989.

You may have issues with Eastern European QSOs in the same time
period (1970's - 2000 +/-). The "FIX_EU" script will repair
those issues. FIX_KH will fix "old" US possessions in the Pacific
(and Canal Zone). FIX_MISC will fix issues in Asia, Indian Ocean
and the Caribbean in the same time frame.

On 2020-10-14 12:26 PM, Abie Alexander wrote:
Hi,
My imports of nearly 16K QSOs into DXKeeper seemed to be working beautifully, until I uploaded an ADIF export file into Club Log.
Club Log came up with long list of error messages relating to former republics of the USSR and to countries of the Eastern Bloc.
I had the entities logged correctly in my previous self-created log. How did they get changed to the post USSR entities? How can I change them back? Or is it something that has to be done manually for each entry? All affected QSOs are pre-1989.
Is there anything in the Config. settings to prevent such automatic resettings?
Will I have to make changes to the LoTW and eQSL.cc logs as well?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
73,
Abie/AB1F

Dave AA6YQ

My imports of nearly 16K QSOs into DXKeeper seemed to be working beautifully, until I uploaded an ADIF export file into Club Log.

Club Log came up with long list of error messages relating to former republics of the USSR and to countries of the Eastern Bloc.

I had the entities logged correctly in my previous self-created log. How did they get changed to the post USSR entities? How can I
change them back? Or is it something that has to be done manually for each entry? All affected QSOs are pre-1989.

+ Without seeing the ADIF QSO records you submitted, I can't say for sure. However, if an imported QSO record specifies a DXCC field
(which specifies a country code), DXKeeper will respect it. If a DXCC field is not present, then DXKeeper will deduce the DXCC
entity from the callsign using current callsign-to-DXCC mapping rules -- which won't be correct for older QSOs.

+ This issue and its resolution are described in the "Recovering each QSO's DXCC entity" section of

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSOImport>;

+ Be sure to backup your log before running any script.

Is there anything in the Config. settings to prevent such automatic resettings?

+ If my "no DXCC fields in imported QSOs" guess is correct, there was no "automatic resetting"; DXKeeper was forced to determine the
DXCC entity from the callsign because no DXCC entity was specified.

Will I have to make changes to the LoTW and eQSL.cc logs as well?

+ No.

Abie Alexander

Many thanks, Dave!

73,

Abie/AB1F.

<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dxlabsuite.com%2Fdxlabwiki%2FQSOImport&;amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C7c4861f7dde04592957c08d870684952%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637382940493736295&amp;sdata=uZGGPMzICYDMjCqmuDyoJ1EOKKZroY1aNJE7y%2FgtIrA%3D&amp;reserved=0>

+ Be sure to backup your log before running any script.

Is there anything in the Config. settings to prevent such automatic resettings?

+ If my "no DXCC fields in imported QSOs" guess is correct, there was no
+ "automatic resetting"; DXKeeper was forced to determine the
DXCC entity from the callsign because no DXCC entity was specified.

Will I have to make changes to the LoTW and eQSL.cc logs as well?

+ No.

Abie Alexander

Thanks a million, Joe!

I have about 500 USSR QSOs and was dreading to do the fixes manually.

73,

Abie/AB1F

On 2020-10-14 12:26 PM, Abie Alexander wrote:
Hi,

My imports of nearly 16K QSOs into DXKeeper seemed to be working beautifully, until I uploaded an ADIF export file into Club Log.

Club Log came up with long list of error messages relating to former republics of the USSR and to countries of the Eastern Bloc.

I had the entities logged correctly in my previous self-created log. How did they get changed to the post USSR entities? How can I change them back? Or is it something that has to be done manually for each entry? All affected QSOs are pre-1989.

Is there anything in the Config. settings to prevent such automatic resettings?

Will I have to make changes to the LoTW and eQSL.cc logs as well?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

73,

Abie/AB1F

Abie Alexander

Hi Dave,

I did not answer your question in my last email.

Your guess is absolutely correct. There was no DXCC entity in the imported ADIF. I had the countries mentioned in the QTH field but that obviously is insufficient. I'm learning!

DXKeeper is a wonderful program! Many thanks for creating it.

73,

Abie/AB1F