Topics

User Defined Controls for Kenwood TS-890S

Jim McPhee

I just received my TS-890S a couple of days ago, taking the place of a TS-590S. Commander and SpotCollector are communicating quite nicely with the 890S. However, I've found that some of the Command Sequences and Slider Controls that worked with the TS-590S work with the 890S, and some don't. Here is a list of those that do and those that don't. Have any 890S users modified their controls so that those that are not working for me are working for you? If so, would you share them by posting them in the appropriate folder in the Files section of this group.

Work
Power control On/Off
Pre Amp On/Off
Antenna Tune
Noise Reduction Off/NR1/NR2
RF Gain Slider
Mic Gain Slider
RF Output Slider

Don't Work
Mute
RX Equalization profile selection
TX Equalization profile selection
Antenna Switch Ant1/Ant2
Processor On/Off
Processor Soft/Hard
Audio Gain Slider
Processor Input Slider
Noise Reduction Level Slider

Thanks,

--
Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM

Joe Subich, W4TV

Jim,

The best way to debug the non-working commands is to download
the PC Command manuals for both the TS-590 and TS-890. You can
then compare the command used for the TS-590 with the same or
a replacement command for the TS-890.

For example - the Audio Gain command in the TS-590 is AG P1 P2 P2 P2;
where P1 is 0 and P2 varies from 000 - 255. However, in the TS-890
the command is AG P1 P1 P1; where P1 varies from 000 - 255. In other
words, the TS-890 *removes* the leading 0 following the AG.

Similarly, the Processor ON/OFF command is PR P1; in the TS-590
but PR0 P1; in TS-890 (P1 is 0 for Off, 1 for On).

It only takes a little time with the appropriate manuals.

On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 09:55 AM, Jim McPhee wrote:

[...]

+ That's because Kenwood made changes to the TX-890S's CAT instruction set relative to the TS-590S.

+ So far, no one has posted user-defined sequences of sliders to this discussion group's Files area:

https://groups.io/g/DXLab/files/Command%20Sequences%20and%20Sliders/Kenwood/TS890

Jim McPhee

Thanks Joe,

I was hoping that someone here had already done that, but just hadn't shared the instructions. I had checked for a TS-890S folder, but there wasn't one. I just checked again and there is. I think Dave probably just created it.

The next step is to do as you suggested. I will upload the files as I modify  them and ensure they are working correctly.

Jim McPhee W5ABA
Placitas, NM
W5ABA

Jim McPhee

Thanks Dave,

I'll have a go at modifying them and will upload them as I am able to.

Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM
W5ABA

I was hoping that someone here had already done that, but just hadn't shared the instructions. I had checked for a TS-890S folder, but there wasn't one. I just checked again and there is. I think Dave probably just created it.

+ Correct.

The next step is to do as you suggested. I will upload the files as I modify them and ensure they are working correctly.

+ Thanks, Jim! If you run into trouble with a specific function or CAT command, don't hesitate to post a question here.

Jim McPhee

Thank you Dave,

I recall you were a great help when I worked on the commands for the 590s.
--
Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM

Jim McPhee

Dave,

How do I move Command Sequences from one button to another? This would just be within the first bank of 12 buttons.

--
Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM

How do I move Command Sequences from one button to another? This would just be within the first bank of 12 buttons.

+ In the sequence now associated with the "from" button", click the "Save" button and save the sequence to a file.

+ Then in the sequence associated with eh "to" button, click the Load" button, and load from the file you just saved.

+ Now you have two buttons that invoke the same sequence. You can repurpose the sequence associated with the "to" button by loading another file, or by clearing its commands and replacing them with something else.

Jim McPhee

Dave,

Thanks for the instructions. I thought there might be a "button location identifier" in the file that I could modify to point the Command Sequence toward a different specific button. I'
d already begun doing as you suggested. I've made good progress, and will post my results tomorrow. Only surprise so far is with the antenna 1/antenna 2 command;
The "PC Control command reference guide" for the TS-890S shows:
AN Antenna Selection Parameters:
P1 (Antenna selection)
1: ANT1
2: ANT2

But following that syntax, as I did successfully with other modifications, does not cause the Command Sequence to take effect. Not sure why.
--
Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM

Thanks for the instructions. I thought there might be a "button location identifier" in the file that I could modify to point the Command Sequence toward a different specific button. I'
d already begun doing as you suggested. I've made good progress, and will post my results tomorrow. Only surprise so far is with the antenna 1/antenna 2 command; The "PC Control command reference guide" for the TS-890S shows:
AN Antenna Selection Parameters:
P1 (Antenna selection)
1: ANT1
2: ANT2

But following that syntax, as I did successfully with other modifications, does not cause the Command Sequence to take effect. Not sure why.

+ You can use the "Execute CAT Command" panel on Commander's Messages window to issue a specific CAT command so you can determine if it's behaving as expected, or experiment with parameters:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/Help/MonitoringMessages.htm>

+ Don’t forget to proceed Kenwood CAT commands with a single apostrophe (so Commander knows to send them as ASCII) and end them with a semicolon (as required by your transceiver.

+ You may find it convenient to uncheck the Interrogation panel's Continuous box so the received messages display isn't constantly scrolling with frequency reports, mode reports, S-meter readings, and bandwidth reports. Don't forget to restore this setting when you're done experimenting.

Jim McPhee

Thanks Dave,

I appreciate the additional guidance. Its a bit late for me (later for you!), so I'll take a closer look at in the am.

In the meantime, I just uploaded 12 Command Sequence files that I think will be of value to other users of Commander with the TS-890S, and that are working successfully for me. I have made the file names as clear and intuitive as possible.

I'll work on the Sliders tomorrow!

All the best,
--
Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM

Jim McPhee

In the Files section, under Command Sequences and Sliders, TS-890S, I have created two folders:

Command Sequences, which contains 13 files.
and
Sliders, which contains 4 files.

All are working properly on my computer and radio.

There are other sliders that worked on the TS-590S that I was not able to get working on the TS-890S, but I realized that they were controls that I rarely need to change, and the return on my time investment just wasn't significant enough.

Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM
W5ABA

Inbody, Don

Pardon my ignorance, but I know little about sliders. You have awakened my curiosity though. I presently run a TS-2000 and a TS-480. Are sliders appropriate for those models. Still, glad to know about the TS-590 as that is likely my next radio, although I would love to get my hands on a TS-890. BTW, is there any advantage to the TS-990 over the 890?

73 es Merry Christmas to all

Don, AD0K

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019, 18:16 Jim McPhee <jmcphee@...> wrote:
[...]

+ Thanks, Jim!

Pardon my ignorance, but I know little about sliders. You have awakened my curiosity though. I presently run a TS-2000 and a TS-480. Are sliders appropriate for those models?

+ Yes. There are 8 slider files available via

<https://groups.io/g/DXLab/files/Command%20Sequences%20and%20Sliders/Kenwood/TS2000>

- AF Gain

- AGC

- Keyer speed

- Mic Gain

- Noise Reduction level

- RF Gain

- RF Output

- Squelch level

+ Instructions for deploying them are here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SetupUserSlider>

Jim McPhee

And thank you Dave, for all the time and effort you have put into the DX Lab Suite, including the massive help database that is there for all of us to avail ourselves of!

Dave, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family, local and extended, including the thousands of users of your great application.

Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM
W5ABA

Inbody, Don