Topics

US states and DXlabs

Ted Boerkamp

Hi guys.....I am busy importing paper logs into DXlabs and I am wondering when I log a US station,

where can I input the state abbreviation so that I can see it in the “state” column of the DXkeeper

Screen?? How does DXlab determine a stations state for the purpose of the WAS report if its not entered anywhere?

There is no actual State input line on the DXkeeper screen.

If I worked W3ABC/W7, How does the WAS report determine which state in zone 7 he is in?

Any help in understanding this is most welcome.

Thanks for a great program!!

73  Ted VE3SS

ND9G Mike

Hello Ted,

The state is stored in the primary subdivision field (pri sub). The display will change the field label based on the DXCC entity of the call entered. The secondary subdivision would be used for county.

If you're using the capture window, you can click the lookup button and it will use the configured lookup database to populate the state and county. If you're working on the log page display, then you can click the CBA button to pull the information from configured callbooks. It may also pull information from LoTW if you sync with that.

If you want to see the state field in the log page display, you can edit that to display the column you see fit. You can select state to add them to the field you've elected to display.

73,
Mike ND9G

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 6:27 PM Ted Boerkamp <tboerkamp@...> wrote:

Hi guys.....I am busy importing paper logs into DXlabs and I am wondering when I log a US station,

where can I input the state abbreviation so that I can see it in the “state” column of the DXkeeper

Screen?? How does DXlab determine a stations state for the purpose of the WAS report if its not entered anywhere?

There is no actual State input line on the DXkeeper screen.

If I worked W3ABC/W7, How does the WAS report determine which state in zone 7 he is in?

Any help in understanding this is most welcome.

Thanks for a great program!!

73  Ted VE3SS

Gilbert Baron W0MN

All true but it could be very wrong. If you are entering manually and especially if old contacts you had better enter this information actually since the lookup is the current or  latest updated data which often is not even close. People move and call signs often do not change.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Hi guys.....I am busy importing paper logs into DXlabs and I am wondering when I log a US station,

where can I input the state abbreviation so that I can see it in the "state" column of the DXkeeper Screen??

+ If you're manually entering "already completed" QSOs from a paper log, then should be using the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab, as
described in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/LogCompletedMain.htm>

+ To be able to specify a US state when logging QSOs from the "Log QSOs" tab, make the Award panel visible by checking the Award
box in the "Log Panels" panel on the Configuration window's Log tab.

+ On the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab, when you click the New button to create an empty new QSO, the Award panel will display a pair
of items labeled "pri sub" and "sec sub", abbreviations for "primary administrative subdivision" and "secondary administrative
subdivision" respectively. When you type a callsign into the QSO panel's call item and then strike the Tab or Enter key, DXKeeper
will analyze the callsign to determine its DXCC entity. If the callsign is located in the continental US, Alaska, or Hawaii, the
labels on the "pri sub" and "sec sub" items will change to state and county respectively; both will provide a down-facing black
triangle that lets you choose a valid state for the callsign's DXCC entity, and a valid county for the callsign's DXCC entity and
selected state.

How does DXlab determine a stations state for the purpose of the WAS report if its not entered anywhere?

+ Just because you haven't made the Award panel visible doesn't mean that the State has not been entered by one of DXkeeper's
automatic mechanisms that you have enabled:

1. In DXView, you can define an override for a callsign, specifying the details of its current location -- including its US State:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateEntityOverride>

2. DXView can install the USAP database, which knows the state each US callsign has specified to the FCC as its current station
location:

< https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/Help/Operation.htm#Databases>

3. DXKeeper can be configured to query online or local callbooks that report a US station's state:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CallbookLookup>

There is no actual State input line on the DXkeeper screen.

+ That's because you haven't made the Award panel visible. I suggest that you review

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/Logging>

+ and then take a look at this table

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Items.htm>

+ which lists and describes the 119 items of information that DXKeeper can record with each QSOs, and shows which "Log panel" to
enable so you can specify/view each item of information.

If I worked W3ABC/W7, How does the WAS report determine which state in zone 7 he is in?

+ See my explanation above.

+ As Gil W0MN noted, relying on the USAP database or a callbook lookup to determine the location of your QSO partner in QSO
completed long ago may not produce an accurate result, as the op may have subsequently moved, or may have been temporarily operating
from a location other than home when you had your QSO. Asking your QSO partner is one way to know for sure. An LoTW confirmation
with a US station will generally include your QSO partner's specification of their location; DXKeeper's "Sync LoTW QSLs" function
will inform you if what you logged and what your QSO partner specified are different; see

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/DownloadLotW>