Undocumented updates

k6xt

Hi Dave

Reading the update notes for Commander 15.4.4 I see an undocumented feature on a Yaesu rig that wasn't ignored..

Referring to our recent IC7300 XFC discussion how can I help you implement the discussed undocumented feature, should you decide to add it to your todo list? If you need one I'll send you my IC7300.

Incidentally my statement that the capability is undocumented referred to the user manual. Not a programmer, I don't know what assets are made available by Icom.

73 Art K6XT/W7NTA

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below
Reading the update notes for Commander 15.4.4 I see an undocumented feature on a Yaesu rig that wasn't ignored..

Referring to our recent IC7300 XFC discussion how can I help you implement the discussed undocumented feature, should you decide to add it to your todo list? If you need one I'll send you my IC7300.

Incidentally my statement that the capability is undocumented referred to the user manual. Not a programmer, I don't know what assets are made available by Icom.

+ "Supports the undocumented FT-757GXII meter reading CAT command" in Commander 15.4.4 was low risk: that radio's functionality cannot be changed via a firmware update, and the change supports a capability that isn't already present. If it were to fail due to a future action by Yaesu, users would be in no worse shape than they were before Commander 15.4.4.

+ Icom radios provide a Split mechanism that works well for working DX stations operating split. Exploiting undocumented commands in an Icom radio that is under active development with firmware updates to replicate functionality that already exists would be risky, and would not be a good use of my development time compared to alternative uses of that time.

Dvae, AA6YQ

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 3:02 PM k6xt <k6xt@...> wrote:

I am an Icom fanboy and I will be the first to say that the company
does not document CI-V well.

On my IC-910H, the CI-V command table is poorly rendered in the docs
and makes it appear that you can't turn on the transmitter via CI-V
... but you can ... and now Commander knows about this feature under
the name "IC-910HA". A fake ID because it's not clear which of the
versions of that radio supports it (910A, 910D, 910H, 911, etc) so
doing it like that is probably the best way to handle it.

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net | Travel by Train!

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ Icom is better at documenting its CAT commands than most. Recall that I had to write the initial documentation for the Flex Signature's ethernet API by asking questions of Flex engineers.

+ Until recently, I would have said that Yaesu is the worst at it - but then  I encountered Thetis, which is unbelievable poor.

+ Recall the FT-817/857/897 disaster, in which an undocumented command that writes to non-volatile memory addresses was used to modify radio parameters not accessible via the documented CAT command set. One logging application took advantage of this, ignoring the point that non-volatile memories have a finite "write budget". Exceed that budget, and the memory stops working, which bricks the radio. Evidently, Yaesu no longer has access to replacement parts, so those radios are not reparable.

de AA6YQ

Peter Laws / N5UWY

n Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 3:49 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ Icom is better at documenting its CAT commands than most.
Well, that's discouraging!!

Thank you for putting in the work to let us use all these command sets.

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net | Travel by Train!