Unable to sync Lotw QSOs or sync Lotw QSLs

Dave Corio

Getting the error message "Unable to download from Lotw: Invalid Request" when I invoke either of the sync commands from the DXKeeper QSL tab.

Worked okay earlier today. Checked my ID & password, as well as Station Location and not finding any discrepancies. TQSL certificate doesn't expire until 2023.

Not a clue what I could have changed or broken. Haven't intentionally changed any parameters.

Any help appreciated
Tnx es 73
Dave - K1DJE

Getting the error message "Unable to download from Lotw: Invalid Request" when I invoke either of the sync commands from the DXKeeper QSL tab.

Worked okay earlier today. Checked my ID & password, as well as Station Location and not finding any discrepancies. TQSL certificate doesn't expire until 2023.

Not a clue what I could have changed or broken. Haven't intentionally changed any parameters.

+ If there's an errorlog.txt file in your DXKeeper folder, please attach it to an email message, and send it to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

+ Then reboot Windows, start the Launcher, direct the Launcher to start DXKeeper, and direct DXKeeper to "Sync LotW QSOs"; any joy?

Dave Corio

Windows reboot took care of it Dave. I thought of trying that AFTER I  posted. Sorry for the wasted bandwidth, but thanks for the fast response!

73 & enjoy the holiday
Dave - K1DJE

Dave Corio

I spoke too soon. Sync worked once, but the second time it gave the same error message.

Had Launcher start DXKeeper with the same results. Rebooted Windows and still get error.

There is no error log. This is with version 16.1.0. Have not yet updated to the newest version.

Tried loading  the log file archived last night but showed the same problem.

Tnx es 73
Dave - K1DJE

I spoke too soon. Sync worked once, but the second time it gave the same error message.

Had Launcher start DXKeeper with the same results. Rebooted Windows and still get error.

There is no error log. This is with version 16.1.0. Have not yet updated to the newest version.

Tried loading  the log file archived last night but showed the same problem.

+ That's likely a networking problem of some kind, not a DXKeeper or log problem. Please do the following:

1. On the Configuration window's General tab, check the "Log debugging info" box

2. Invoke "Sync LoTW QSOs"

3. On the Configuration window's General tab, uncheck the "Log debugging info" box

4. Attach the errorlog.txt file from your DXKeeper folder to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Rick

Dave--I'm having the same issue.  I'm sending my errorlog.txt via email.

73, Rick N0VT

Ellam, Timothy St. J.

I have same issue. I can send a errorlog if you like. This only started yesterday. I also note that Gridtracker is not able to sync with LOTW so I thought it was my Firwall, but all looks good. Is it on the LOTW side?

Tim VE6SH

Jon Gefaell

Undoubtedly, that's why I brought up GT. As of about half an hour ago, both were able to download/sync once again. I always love seeing new confirmations, especially when they indicate I just worked VUCC on 6M like just now(!) Mind you, I already knew from the LoTW website directly and had completed my application. But I'm thoroughly Pavlovian about seeing the map update in GT and getting that yummy LoTW status report from DXK, the keeper of the K6OJ truth.  It was a Good Day. ;)

Is it working for you currently?

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 01:34 PM, Ellam, Timothy St. J. wrote:

Is it on the LOTW side?

Jon Gefaell

Ooops, crossed the streams. I mentioned this issue in another thread and noted that GT was simultaneously having issues.

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 01:43 PM, Jon Gefaell wrote:

Undoubtedly, that's why I brought up GT.

Ellam, Timothy St. J.

No just tried and both DXK and GT are not updating (and I get the same error message with DXK as others). Sounds like it is a networking issue, but has baffled me.

Tim VE6SH

Jim NM1W

I'm seeing this today as well. I enabled debug logging,  copied the url from the log into a browser and it returns:
Error 503
Page Request Limit!
Only one page request per user at a time is allowed.
Please allow sufficient time for the previous page(s) to finish loading before submitting any further requests.

-jim NM1W

I'm seeing this today as well. I enabled debug logging, copied the url from the log into a browser and it returns:

Error 503
Page Request Limit!
Only one page request per user at a time is allowed.
Please allow sufficient time for the previous page(s) to finish loading before submitting any further requests.

+ There's been extensive discussion of the "invalid response" failure here. That you can replicate the failure with a web browser is further evidence that these failures are the result of recent changes made to LoTW to prevent "abuse" by ops and organizations that "too frequently" download all QSOs or all QSLs from an LoTW account. To my knowledge, these changes were never announced and never tested with the logging applications affected by them.

+ The rate of failure reports has been increasing. Similar download failures are being reported by users of GridTracker.

+ ARRL staff are investigating.

+ I posted a workaround here

https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/201725

+ but the workaround counts on being able to download information from LoTW via a web browser.

Jacob Derenne

I just got done doing a sync Lotw QSOs using the ctrl key and sync – all went okay here and no issues

Jake – W9BLI

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

FWIW, error messages can be incomplete, or misleading. But on its face, this indicates that the issue is multiple concurrent transactions, not their frequency or scope. My delta downloads typically take seconds, but entire log downloads take a long while. I notice Gridtracker indicator of LoTW download activity takes a similar amount of time. This leads me to the conclusion that it is doing a full download, not a delta. Documentation for the software is virtually non-existent with no apparent roadmap for improvement, so it's unknown how often the automated download occurs, but the user has a button they can invoke a (full?) download at any time.

For my porpoises the only redeeming quality is the map representation and overlays. I'm looking to see how to use it only for that, along with JTAlert as the filter/spotter/alert mechanism.  I opened an issue on the GridTracket Gitlab regarding this and noted it's been observed by multiple DXK users. Hopefully the new open source dev team will devote some resources to remediating this behavior. Note: They just went through this with PSKreporter as well, prompting a new release to address the issue.

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 11:00 AM, Jim NM1W wrote:

Only one page request per user at a time is allowed.

Jon Gefaell

The issue was reviewed and a code change was committed and merged. I'll update here when a new release implements this.

https://gitlab.com/gridtracker.org/gridtracker/-/issues/101

Temporarily disable LoTW full downloads on startup

This temporarily disables LoTW full downloads on start up. This does not stop a user from hitting the button at this time. Additional fixes to come.

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 02:25 PM, Jon Gefaell wrote:

I opened an issue on the GridTracket Gitlab

The issue was reviewed and a code change was committed and merged. I'll update here when a new release implements this.

https://gitlab.com/gridtracker.org/gridtracker/-/issues/101

Temporarily disable LoTW full downloads on startup

This temporarily disables LoTW full downloads on start up. This does not stop a user from hitting the button at this time. Additional fixes to come.

+ Thanks, Jon! At minimum, "explanatory popups" should be added to the relevant settings and buttons so that users can determine what they do.

Jon Gefaell

It's always a thrill, and an honor when I can be of use. I get so much from DXLab.

The issues with Gridtracker are legion, yet it has so much promise. We can hope the team evolves, and the code matures. I have installed the update mentioned in the below update to the issue I filed, referenced in my previous post on this thread.

"We have released v1.21.0613 that partially addresses this issue and provides a temporary relief in that we disabled downloading LoTW logs at startup. This will require users to have to manually download when DX Labs, or whatever other logging program they use, is done. We are working on a more long term and permanent solution."

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 09:10 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ Thanks, Jon! At minimum, "explanatory popups" should be added to the relevant settings and buttons so that users can determine what they do.

Jon Gefaell

Release notes:

"This is a hotfix release to fix an issue that when launching several logging utilities such as GridTracker and other logging programs that may all try to sync their LoTW logs at the same time and cause a trigger of LoTW’s log download abuse mechanism. Downloading of LoTW logs at start-up has been temporarily disabled while a more permanent solution is being worked on."

They go on to say this on the product website. Obviously, they got the message about delta downloads.

"The long term fix is in the works and should also speed up the time it takes to pull down LoTW logs.
"

Obviously, they got the message about delta downloads

+ DXKeeper has relied on "delta downloads" since LoTW was first released. They can be made to work correctly.