Topics

unable to FILL DX Marathon Score sheet

Anthony W. DePrato

At 03:06 PM 1/9/2021, you wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
I have tried a number of times to get my 2020 score sheet to populate i followed the directions by N6ML in the DXLAB wiki. (which may need a few wording changes ) all goes well till i get to the click ok in the special paste window when i click it i get an error (protected cells can not be modified)
i know i must be doing something wrong. have wasted 3 days trying to figure this out and now i am well pasted the submission deadline. so i may just junk the files and forget about doing the dx matathon as i always seem to have problems getting the score sheet to populate. i figure it is op error. even thought i read the directions every time really gets tiring

+ I assume that you are referring to the "Submission Scoresheet Generation using Using Open Office" section in

YES

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GenerateMarathonSubmission

Opened and followed the above

+ I don't use Open Office, but the "protected cells can not be modified" error message implies that you either didn't select the data correctly (steps 1b and 1c), or you didn't select the destination cell correctly (step 2a).

Went and followed 1b and 1c again. yes only two were checked per steps. and yes 2a destination cell was selected. tried again same error.

+ Life would have been easier for everyone had CQ DX Marathon simply accepted an ADIF file, but we're forced to deal with the added complexity of spreadsheets with protected cells. If you had Microsoft Excel installed, DXKeeper would populate the spreadsheet directly, with no manual cutting and pasting.

Dave man are you correct on the above. this is the ONLY contest i have trouble with. been contesting since the 60's using computers since they came out and ham software was written. a cabellis or adif file would have been the correct way to go. Excell costs are out of reach for some of us old guys. my last suit was office 2010. guess i need to set up an old computer just to complete the score sheet for one contest. or just forget about this one completely. Thank you for your reply have a great weekend.

Outstanding software you have written
73 Tony WA4JQS / VP8SSI / 3Y0PI

a cabrillo or adif file would have been the correct way to go.

+ Cabrillo is an abomination, with different formats for different contests. Cabrillo is inferior to ADIF in every relevant dimension. Why it was developed when ADIF was already available, I have no idea.

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 1:25 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

a cabrillo or adif file would have been the correct way to go.

+ Cabrillo is an abomination, with different formats for different contests. Cabrillo is inferior to ADIF in every relevant dimension. Why it was developed when ADIF was already available, I have no idea.
A quick Google search finds that the first version of ADIF came into
being in 1997, and also finds evidence of Cabrillo existing in 1997. I
haven't found anything that states when Cabrillo was created, but it
certainly wasn't long after ADIF - I suspect they were developed
around the same time.

I agree that Cabrillo is pretty awful as an "interchange" format, but
it wasn't really designed for that - rather for submitting contest
logs, which have a well-defined fixed format (or at least they did in
those days).

By today's standards, ADIF is "kindof icky" too, IMO (having to deal
with the length for each field, etc.).

73,

~iain / N6ML

Joe Subich, W4TV

Why it was developed when ADIF was already available, I have no idea.
There is debate over which came first.

ARRL adopted Cabrillo v 2.0 for ARRL contest reporting in 1999. <https://www.eham.net/article/131>. The original cabrillo v 1.0 (aka
"ARRL Format "V1") dates to 1993. See:
Slide 12: <https://www.contestuniversity.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/K5ZD_CTU_2015_Why_Cabrillo_is_Important_to_you.pptx>

The adoption date for ADIF 1.0 - as shown at
<https://adif.org/100/adif_100.htm>
is 11 July 2003.

On 2021-01-09 4:25 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ ADIF 1.0 was developed and introduced in early 1996:

http://adif.org/100/adif_100.htm

I agree that Cabrillo is pretty awful as an "interchange" format, but it wasn't really designed for that - rather for submitting contest logs, which have a well-defined fixed format (or at least they did in those days).

By today's standards, ADIF is "kindof icky" too, IMO (having to deal with the length for each field, etc.).

+ Having a length specifier for each field is far superior to using escape characters for transparency; it eliminates the need for the parser to inspect each of a field's characters one-by-one. Yes, length specifiers make manual changes by humans more difficult, but good logging applications reduce if not eliminate the need to do that.

Jim K2JL

Not sure if I saw a definitive answer to Anthony's question. I know when I have had this issue it was because I forgot to save the scoresheet I downloaded from the DX Marathon website as "K2JL DX Marathon Scoresheet 2020.xls" or something similar. The original file is downloaded as read-only and needs to be opened and saved as a unique file. Then, the scoresheet fills beautifully when invoking the Submission command.
Jim K2JL

Not sure if I saw a definitive answer to Anthony's question. I know when I have had this issue it was because I forgot to save the scoresheet I downloaded from the DX Marathon website as "K2JL DX Marathon Scoresheet 2020.xls" or something similar. The original file is downloaded as read-only and needs to be opened and saved as a unique file. Then, the scoresheet fills beautifully when invoking the Submission command.

+ Tony is using Open Office rather than Excel, which means he must manually copy and paste from a .csv file generated by DXKeeper into the Marathon scoresheet .Tony reports in

https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/198886

+ that he succeeded when he right-clicked rather than left-clicked in step 2.a of the

"Submission Scoresheet Generation Using Open Office"

+ section of

"Generating a CQ DX Marathon Submission"

+ in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GenerateMarathonSubmission

+ If a change to step 2.a is needed, Iain N6ML will let me know.

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 2:36 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

The procedure that I documented, includes these steps:

* Click in the cell for the Day column of the first entity in the table
* From the Edit menu, select Paste Special...

I tested this again, and it still works for me - I left-clicked in
cell D17 (the "DAY" column for the "1A0" entity row), then selected
"Paste Special..." from the "Edit" menu in the menu bar at the top.
Note that I deliberately avoided mentioning specific cells (e.g.
"D17") in the instructions, since I felt that that could easily change
from year to year (there's a new template for each year).

It is possible to accomplish the same thing by right-clicking in that
cell and selecting "Paste Special..." from the context menu, but the
documented procedure does work (for me), and I feel that
right-clicking is more error-prone, since your pointer must be placed
correctly when you click, and it may be less obvious if you "miss".

I'm not really sure where Tony was going wrong. It may or may not help
to replace steps 2a, 2b in the instructions with something like:

* Ensure that the spreadsheet is scrolled all the way to the top,
such that the row for the first entity ("1A0" or similar) is visible
* Select the "DAY" cell within that row, by left-clicking it (it
should become highlighted with a heavier border). In the 2021
template, this is cell D17, but it may vary from year to year.
* From the "Edit" menu (in the menu bar at the top of the window),
select "Paste Special..."

Tony, would you be willing to go through the procedure again, and see
if the above helps?

73,

~iain / N6ML