Topics

Ultra Beam

Chris

Hi All. I have started using DXLabs and am having trouble getting my Ultra Beam to track the radio frequency using dxabs. My setup is an IC-7700 -->> PC and Ultra Beam controller to PC via Serial. I can get it to work using PST Rotator and OmniRig though. I have been talking to my Elmer about it and we tried using VSPE port emulator. In Commander Config we have setup the second CAT port to point to the virtual port. At this point if I double click on a spot the radio will go to the freq but the antenna will not change freq. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks VK3IK Chris

Hi All. I have started using DXLabs and am having trouble getting my Ultra Beam to track the radio frequency using dxabs. My setup is an IC-7700 -->> PC and Ultra Beam controller to PC via Serial. I can get it to work using PST Rotator and OmniRig though. I have been talking to my Elmer about it and we tried using VSPE port emulator. In Commander Config we have setup the second CAT port to point to the virtual port. At this point if I double click on a spot the radio will go to the freq but the antenna will not change freq. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks VK3IK Chris

+ As a first step, please point me at the technical documentation for the "Ultra Beam Controller".

Chris

Hi Dave,
 Thanks for the reply. Here is a link to the manual  https://www.ultrabeam.it/pdf/ultrabeam_OldController_EN.pdf

Regards
Chris Bellmont
VK3AWG
73

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 2:42 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
Hi All. I have started using DXLabs and am having trouble getting my Ultra Beam to track the radio frequency using dxabs. My setup is an IC-7700 -->> PC and Ultra Beam controller to PC via Serial. I can get it to work using PST Rotator and OmniRig though. I have been talking to my Elmer about it and we tried using VSPE port emulator. In Commander Config we have setup the second CAT port to point to the virtual port. At this point if I double click on a spot the radio will go to the freq but the antenna will not change freq. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks VK3IK Chris

+ As a first step, please point me at the technical documentation for the "Ultra Beam Controller".

* more AA6YQ comments below
Thanks for the reply. Here is a link to the manual  https://www.ultrabeam.it/pdf/ultrabeam_OldController_EN.pdf

* Thanks, Chris. Based on the "Radio Interface" description on page 8, you should follow the approach that Joe W4TV documented for enabling a SteppIR controller to follow your transceiver frequency:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SteppIRFrequencyTracking>

* As noted in step 1, you will need a physical serial port (or USB-to-serial-port adaptor) in your computer. The connection to the UltraBeam controller's serial port may involve different pins; I can' tell, because the pinouts aren't documented in the UltraBeam manual. There is no role for a VSPE port emulator; configure the Secondary CAT Port to serial port X at the same baud rate the Ultrabeam controller is configured to use; then connect the the Secondary CAT port's TXD pin to the controller's RXD pin, and connect the two serial ports' grounds. Since the controller is simply monitoring CAT commands, an RXD-to-TXD connection should not be needed.

* I suggest configuring both the Secondary CAT port and the controller to use the Kenwood protocol. Make sure that you configure the Secondary CAT port to "follow" the primary transceiver, and then enable it.

Joe Subich, W4TV

* As noted in step 1, you will need a physical serial port (or
USB-to-serial-port adaptor) in your computer. The connection to the
UltraBeam controller's serial port may involve different pins; I can'
tell, because the pinouts aren't documented in the UltraBeam manual.
The connections are different for UltraBeam and SteppIR. The SteppIR
connections are shown in the referenced article. For UltraBeam,
connect 2-2, 3-3, and 5-5. You must install a jumper between between
pin 4 and pin 8 on the UltraBeam end of the cable.

UltraBeam requires that the serial port data rate beset to 19,200 bps.