Two instances of WSJT and Commander?

Jim Miller, AB3CV

Can a second instance of WSJT properly invoked and using the right audio channel use Commander as the rig?

I'd like to have two instances of WSJT monitoring and decoding 50313 and 50.323 at the same time using the main and sub RX on my K4.

I know SC will serve both instances but not sure what Rig I should set for the second instance.

73

jim ab3cv

Can a second instance of WSJT properly invoked and using the right audio channel use Commander as the rig?
+ No. If it could, it would report the same frequency to both WSJT-X instances, which would not be useful. The only way to do what you want is to run the second instance of WSJT-X with a second instance of Commander on a second computer. Alternatively, you can run two instances of WSJT-X on one computer, with one instance using Commander and the other instance using the WSJT-X built-in transceiver control option.
I'd like to have two instances of WSJT monitoring and decoding 50313 and 50.323 at the same time using the main and sub RX on my K4.

+ Can WSJT-X be configured to use a rig's VFO B instead of VFO A?

Joe Subich, W4TV

+ Can WSJT-X be configured to use a rig's VFO B instead of VFO A?
No.

In essence, one needs to run the second instance of WSJTX without
radio control and using the *RIGHT CHANNEL* of the sound card for
receive. There is no way to automatically log the correct frequency
(or switch between VFO A and VFO B for transmit).

On 2022-06-25 8:35 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Can a second instance of WSJT properly invoked and using the right audio
channel use Commander as the rig?
+ No. If it could, it would report the same frequency to both WSJT-X instances, which would not be useful. The only way to do what you want is to run the second instance of WSJT-X with a second instance of Commander on a second computer. Alternatively, you can run two instances of WSJT-X on one computer, with one instance using Commander and the other instance using the WSJT-X built-in transceiver control option.

I'd like to have two instances of WSJT monitoring and decoding 50313 and
50.323 at the same time using the main and sub RX on my K4.
+ Can WSJT-X be configured to use a rig's VFO B instead of VFO A?

Jim Miller, AB3CV

Two instances of WJST on single PC driving K4. I'll only use this on 6m for the time being to work when big EU opening occurs. Spill over from 313 to 323 happens then.

First instance uses Commander.

Commander sets Dual Receive and VFO B to A+10

Second instance uses Radio=None but does use PTT on Com3. First instance uses Audio Left, Second instance uses Audio Right.

All other settings the same as on instance one.

Second instance has no idea what the base freq is but properly issues TX and RX controls.

When something is spotted on 323 I hit Split on commander which moves the TX indicator on K4 to B VFO. Then a double click on the desired station initiates and goes all the way to Log QSO panel.

Just worked a FD station on VFO B and everything worked as desired including logging.

Pan adapter on K4, Hamalert or SpotCollector give me notice of potential activity so I can fire up WSJT second instance then or just leave it running with Dual Receive set.

Not as simple as single instance on VFO A but close enough for me!

73

jim ab3cv