Topics

TS-890S FT-8 issue

K4PX K4PX

So I went through the 890S FT-8 setup video.  It is working normally except for one thing.  When I click on a station that I want to call, the 890 goes into transmit but puts out zero power.  The 890S and WSJT working fine in all other respects.  Using DX Lab.  Thoughts?
Thanks,
Joe
K4PX

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Oct 26, 2019 at 08:17 AM, K4PX K4PX wrote:
So I went through the 890S FT-8 setup video.  It is working normally except for one thing.  When I click on a station that I want to call, the 890 goes into transmit but puts out zero power.  The 890S and WSJT working fine in all other respects.  Using DX Lab.  Thoughts?
+ In WSJT-X, do you have the correct output soundcard selected?

+ In the Windows Mixer, is the output (playback) soundcard un-muted and set to a reasonable level?

Dave, AA6YQ

K4PX K4PX

Hi Dave,
Yes the 890S internal soundard is selected and not muted and set on 60...was originally set on 100.
Thanks,
Joe

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 12:31 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Oct 26, 2019 at 08:17 AM, K4PX K4PX wrote:
+ In WSJT-X, do you have the correct output soundcard selected?

+ In the Windows Mixer, is the output (playback) soundcard un-muted and set to a reasonable level?

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Yes the 890S internal soundard is selected and not muted and set on 60...was originally set on 100.

+ Are you certain that the TS-890S internal soundcard works?

+ Note that the audio path from your TS-890S to WSJT-X does not involve any DXLab application.

Dave, AA6YQ

_._,_._,_

K4PX K4PX

Hi Dave,
Well I am not sure I know how to test the internal soundcard!  Thanks for jumping in to help even though as you say DX Lab is not in the transmit chain. 
Best,
Joe

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 1:32 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ Are you certain that the TS-890S internal soundcard works?

+ Note that the audio path from your TS-890S to WSJT-X does not involve any DXLab application.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Well I am not sure I know how to test the internal soundcard!

+ I assume that the transceiver produces full power on CW and SSB, so this isn’t an “unadjusted RF power output” problem. Check the transceiver’s instruction manual to see if there are menu items that enable or attenuate the audio to be transmitted. If that doesn’t get you going, I’d contact Kenwood Technical Support and ask them how to verify that the internal soundcard is working correctly.

Dave, AA6YQ

K4PX K4PX

Hi Dave,
Yes it works great on CW and SSB with full output.  So I will call Kenwood on Monday and see if they have any ideas how to troubleshoot this.  Thanks Dave!
Joe
K4PX

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 1:58 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Well I am not sure I know how to test the internal soundcard! 

+ I assume that the transceiver produces full power on CW and SSB, so this isn’t an “unadjusted RF power output” problem. Check the transceiver’s instruction manual to see if there are menu items that enable or attenuate the audio to be transmitted. If that doesn’t get you going, I’d contact Kenwood Technical Support and ask them how to verify that the internal soundcard is working correctly.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 11:06 AM, K4PX K4PX wrote:

Yes it works great on CW and SSB with full output.  So I will call Kenwood on Monday and see if they have any ideas how to troubleshoot this.

+ Please post the resolution here.

Dave, AA6YQ

K4PX K4PX

Hi Dave,
Well it looks like my problem was in DX Lab Commander/Configuration.  The box titled "Data transmission from USB interface or ANI input" was not checked.  I guess that bx did not need to be checked when using a Flex radio which I just replaced.  Once I checked that box, transmission works just tine.  Thanks for your time and help!
Joe
K4PX

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 2:10 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Yes it works great on CW and SSB with full output.  So I will call Kenwood on Monday and see if they have any ideas how to troubleshoot this.

Dave, AA6YQ

Sidney Shusterman

Hi Joe. I am somewhat relieved to see this 
73 Sid

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/27/19 07:23 (GMT-05:00)
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] TS-890S FT-8 issue

Hi Dave,
Well it looks like my problem was in DX Lab Commander/Configuration.  The box titled "Data transmission from USB interface or ANI input" was not checked.  I guess that bx did not need to be checked when using a Flex radio which I just replaced.  Once I checked that box, transmission works just tine.  Thanks for your time and help!
Joe
K4PX

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 2:10 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Well it looks like my problem was in DX Lab Commander/Configuration. The box titled "Data transmission from USB interface or ANI input" was not checked. I guess that box did not need to be checked when using a Flex radio which I just replaced.

+ That’s correct; the "Data transmission from USB interface or ANI input" option is only required by some Kenwood transceivers. The list of specific Kenwood models in step 3.a of

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/TranceiverControlKenwood

+ did not include the TS-890S; it does now.

Dave, AA6YQ

K4PX K4PX

Thanks a lot Dave.  It is a real blessing to have smart guys like you out there to help us duffers.  Take care.
Best,
Joe
K4PX

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 11:39 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Well it looks like my problem was in DX Lab Commander/Configuration.  The box titled "Data transmission from USB interface or ANI input" was not checked.  I guess that box did not need to be checked when using a Flex radio which I just replaced. 

+ That’s correct; the "Data transmission from USB interface or ANI input" option is only required by some Kenwood transceivers. The list of specific Kenwood models in step  3.a of

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/TranceiverControlKenwood

+ did not include the TS-890S; it does now.

Dave, AA6YQ