Topics

TS-480 Rig Control

Don Inbody AD0K

Just got a used TS-480. Cannot get it to connect to the computer/Commander. Using same cables and USB-RS-232 connectors that work on the TS-2000. Recommendations?
73, Don AD0K

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 09:22 AM, Don Inbody wrote:

Just got a used TS-480. Cannot get it to connect to the computer/Commander. Using same cables and USB-RS-232 connectors that work on the TS-2000. Recommendations?

+ Are the TS-480's serial port settings (baud rate, word length, # stop bits, parity) set to the same values as those of your TS-2000?

+ Do you know that the TS-480's serial port works?

Don Inbody AD0K

All port settings the same as the TS-2000. I presume the port on the radio works as the person I bought the rig from said it worked for him. How can I check that?

All port settings the same as the TS-2000. I presume the port on the radio works as the person I bought the rig from said it worked for him. How can I check that?

+ You are checking that. You know that Commander works with your TS-2000, and you know that your TS-480's serial port is configured identically to that of your TS-2000, with Commander's "RTS Selector" set to "On". Both radios require a "straight-through female 9-pin RS232 to female RS232 cable". Assuming that you're using the same cable to connect either radio to your PC, there is only one variable left in the equation: the TS-480's serial port.

+ Reviewing the Menu options on pages 23-25 of the TS-480 manual, I don’t see any item other than "COM port" (#56) that would prevent the TS-480's serial port from working correctly.

+ You could enable Commander's Messages window to see if Commander is receiving any data from the TS-480; if so, the data received might provide a clue:

1. click the Msgs button beneath the Mode panel on Commander's Main window

2. in the "Commander Messages" window that appears,

2a. set the "Message Display" panel in the lower-left corner to "Ascii"

2b. check he "Capture and display Primary CAT Port message" box in the window's upper-left corner

2c. commands sent to the radio are indicated with a > between timestamp and the outgoing command

2d. data from the radio are indicated with a < between the timestamp and the incoming data

Don Inbody AD0K

Got it working. Main problem was the cable provided with the rig. It was a Null Modem cable and it requires a straight through cable. I used the same cable and USB-serial adaptor that works on the TS-2000. I had to restart Commander and the rig, but it finally worked.

Now to find a combination that will permit setting it up as a secondary rig.

Got it working. Main problem was the cable provided with the rig. It was a Null Modem cable and it requires a straight through cable. I used the same cable and USB-serial adaptor that works on the TS-2000. I had to restart Commander and the rig, but it finally worked.

Now to find a combination that will permit setting it up as a secondary rig.

+ Should be straightforward with a straight-through cable. See the "Setting up a Secondary Radio" via

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ControlMultipleRadios>

+ Take care to protect the secondary transceiver's antenna input when your primary transceiver is transmitting...

Don Inbody AD0K

Good point. My main trouble is rf interfering with the serial connection. No issues with the TS-2000, but transmitting will interrupt the serial connection between Commander and THE TS-480.