Trouble connecting Icom 7000 to Commander

dpyle

I am repurposing an old laptop and Icom 7000 for a remote location I am having trouble get the radio and commander to communicate together.  The frequency in Commander shows all zeros and if I open the Msgs window to see the Commander Messages there are no messages present.  I had used the laptop and DXLab to communicate with my primary radios previously using an Icom IC7100 and Yeasu 1000mp. I had not previously set up the IC7000 to work with Commander.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated? Let me know if there is a setting that is important that I have not mentioned below.

My setup:

Hardware

  • Radio Icom 7000
  • Interface connected to radio: MFJ-5383I (RS-232 female connector)
  • USB to Serial Adaptor, BENFEI USB to RS-232 Male 9-pin DB9 Serial Cable, Prolific Chipset
  • Show up in windows as COM3

Windows

  • Windows 8.1

DX Lab Commander(v 15.2.0) (Only running DXLab Launcher and Commander)

Configuration

  • General Tab
    • Radio
      • Model: IC7000
      • CI-V Address: 70
      • Interrogation: Checked
  • Ports
    • Primary CAT Serial Port
      • Port#: 3
      • Baud: 9600 (Also tried 19200)
      • Word: 8
      • Parity: None
      • Stop: 2
      • DTR: On
      • RTS: Off
  • MultiRadio (Note I was previously using this PC as my main setup and had 4 other radios connected to it. Not sure how to delete them so just changing the first)
    • Control Radio 1 (other 3 radios enable is unchecked)
      • Model: IC7100
      • CI-V Addr: 70
      • Interrogate: Checked
      • Enable: Checked
    • CAT Serial Port – Radio 1
      • Port#: 3
      • Baud: 9600
      • Word: 8
      • Parity: N
      • DTR: Y
      • RTS: N
    • User Defined Control Sets
      • Radio 1: Blank (I had text files for the IC7100 and Yeasu 100mp but not sure where I got them, do not have one for the 7000, not sure if that is a problem or not.

Thanks

Dave – KW1DX

dpyle@...

I am repurposing an old laptop and Icom 7000 for a remote location I am having trouble get the radio and commander to communicate together.  The frequency in Commander shows all zeros and if I open the Msgs window to see the Commander Messages there are no messages present.  I had used the laptop and DXLab to communicate with my primary radios previously using an Icom IC7100 and Yeasu 1000mp. I had not previously set up the IC7000 to work with Commander.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated?

+ Things to check:

1. that the radio's CI-V address, baud rate, and stop bits match your configuration in Commander

2. that your CI-V interface actually works (the Prolific chipset is notorious for not working correctly)

3. that all cables have pins that are intact (not bent over) and are properly seated

4. that CI-V signals are being correctly conveyed from the radio to Commander and back (requires an oscilloscope or serial port analyzer)

dpyle

OK Thanks

Dave KW1DX

[...]

Bruce N7XGR

Dave,  Check these settings in the 7000,
CI-V Baud Rate     19200
CI-V Address        70h
CI-V Transceive    OFF

General Tab,