Transferring Paper Logbook

w5ec

I found an old paper logbook that I want to transfer to DXKeeper. What is the quickest way to manually do this?

Bill W5EC

Pit

Hi Bill
DF3CB have FLE program for make a log
Export as ADIF and import it in DXkeeper
GL Pit YO3JW

În vin., 25 nov. 2022 la 15:22, w5ec <bhw5ec@...> a scris:

I found an old paper logbook that I want to transfer to DXKeeper. What is the quickest way to manually do this?

Bill W5EC

Joe Subich, W4TV

Unless you are an Excel wiz, using DF3CB's FLE is probably the easiest
way to convert paper logs to any logger.

FLE generates an ADIF file that can be imported to DXKeeper. Just
make sure you have the correct "substitutions" set in DXK's import
so your call (as used for those QSOs) and the correct "My QTH" get
set for each imported QSO.

On 2022-11-25 8:22 AM, w5ec wrote:
I found an old paper logbook that I want to transfer to DXKeeper. What is the quickest way to manually do this?
Bill W5EC

I found an old paper logbook that I want to transfer to DXKeeper. What is the quickest way to manually do this?

+ There are two good ways to do this:

A. DF3CB's "Fast Log Entry" (FLE) application, as already suggested:

https://df3cb.com/fle/

B. Unchecking the "Optimize for realtime QSO entry" box in the "Main Log QSOs options" panel on the General tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window. This optimizes the operation of the "Log QSOs" tab of DXKeeper's Main window for entering already-completed QSOs, e.g. from a paper logbook.

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/LogCompletedMain.htm

Both approaches work, but using DXKeeper has two advantages over Fast Log Entry:

1. Errors you make while entering QSOs with FLE will only be reported when you import the ADIF file exported from FLE into DXKeeper; DXKeeper immediately reports entry errors.

2. Ops who have employed both approaches report that entering QSOs with DXKeeper is faster -- after they've mastered its keyboard shortcuts:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/KeyboardShortcuts.htm#Main%20window%20shortcuts

If you decide to use FLE, I strongly suggest recording the first 10 QSOs from your paper logbook, directing FLE to generate an ADIF file, and importing that file into DXKeeper to quickly expose any misunderstanding you may have about how to enter QSOs in FLE,

If you decide to use DXKeeper, the Capture window will continue to be optimized for recording QSOs in real time, but it's a good idea to check the "Optimize for realtime QSO entry" box after a session of entering "already completed" QSOs.

w5ec

I did use FLE. Once I got the hang of it, it was a snap. All  my paper logs are now on DXKeeper.
Thanks for the info.
Bill W5EC