Topics

TQSL upload passwords for DXKEEPER

Ed

Hello,

Searching this forum I find many, many questions on how to remove the password requirement for uploading to LOTW.. It's plain to me I don't understand the procedure.or some of the terms.
Here's what I've been doing.

1. start the TQSL application ... OK

2. select TQSL's Callsign Certificates tab ... OK

3.click on the certificate whose password you wish to remove,  (OK) and then click the Save the callsign certificate for button to the right I select the desktop to place the new file W2GHD.p12 (OK)

4. a Certificate Container Password window will prompt you to enter a password, leave both the New password and Enter again to confirm textboxes empty, and click the Ok button  Left the new password line empty. (OK) Another window opens up. "Enter the password for your active W2GHD callsign certificate.What is the active call sign certificate password? Is it the one I use to sign onto the LOTW website? How do I find it?

Thank you,

Ed Machak W2GHD

[...]

+ The correct procedure is documented here in "Using Logbook of the World":

<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/removecertificatepassword/>

+ This procedure was originally documented by Joe W4TV and included in "Getting Started with DXLab" when LoTW first became available; I later incorporated Joe's article into " Using Logbook of the World ", along with most of DXKeeper's "How to use LoTW" documentation.

Ed

Dave,

The steps I put into my previous note are from the referenced documentation. I simply don't understand them

""Enter the password for your active W2GHD callsign certificate." What is the active call sign certificate password?"

What is the definition of  "the active call sign certificate password" ?

Ed W2GHD

Joe Subich, W4TV

What is the definition of "the active call sign certificate password"
?
The "active call sign certificate password" is the password applied to
the "certificate container (.p12)" when you stored the certificate in
a certificate container.

If you follow the old instructions I wrote 15 years ago and do not
use a password, tQSL (and DXLab Suite) will not need/ask for a password
when signing QSOs and uploading to LotW.

On 2019-10-30 10:42 AM, Ed wrote:
Dave,
The steps I put into my previous note are from the referenced documentation. I simply don't understand them
""Enter the password for your active W2GHD callsign certificate." What is the active call sign certificate password?"
What is the definition of  "the active call sign certificate password" ?
Ed W2GHD

The steps I put into my previous note are from the referenced documentation. I simply don't understand them

+ The referenced documentation

<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/removecertificatepassword/>

+ does not include the word "active", so you must be using some other documentation.

"Enter the password for your active W2GHD callsign certificate." What is the active call sign certificate password?"

What is the definition of "the active call sign certificate password" ?

+ The phrase "active callsign" refers to your current primary callsign, which I suspect is W2GHD. Thus " the active call sign certificate password" means "the password for your W2GHD "Callsign Certificate".

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 9:16 AM Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

What is the definition of "the active call sign certificate password"
?
The "active call sign certificate password" is the password applied to
the "certificate container (.p12)" when you stored the certificate in
a certificate container.
This is not accurate. Technically, it's actually the password that was
used to encrypt the private key as it is locally stored for use by
TQSL. It's separate from the P12 password (that's why you get two
password prompts when you load a P12 file - it has to decrypt the
private key to generate the P12 content).

From a user's perspective, the "active call sign certificate password"
is the password that they specified when they either initially
generated the certificate, or that they specified when loading the
certificate, and the one that they are current required to enter when
signing logs - i.e. it's the password that they're trying to get rid
of.

73,

~iain / N6ML