TQSL Update Problem

w2eck

When I open DXKeeper, I get a msg saying there is an TQSL update available. When I go to run the update process, I get a msg saying "The file C:\ecker\APPData\roaming\trusted QSL\ is not a valid installation package. Try to find the installation package tqslupdate.msi in a folder  from which you can install Trusted QSL 2/6/1". That folder is in fact where that msi file is located.
 Anyone know what is going on here or have an idea for a work around?

73 Paul w2eck

Norm - KC1BMD

Workaround: Run TQSL (application) and update from there.
--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Joe Subich, W4TV

The current newest version of tQSL is 2.6.3

Go to: http://arrl.org/tqsl-download and download from the link
on that page (box titled tQSL 2.6.3).

On 2022-06-16 10:31 AM, w2eck wrote:
When I open DXKeeper, I get a msg saying there is an TQSL update available. When I go to run the update process, I get a msg saying "The file C:\ecker\APPData\roaming\trusted QSL\ is not a valid installation package. Try to find the installation package tqslupdate.msi in a folder  from which you can install Trusted QSL 2/6/1". That folder is in fact where that msi file is located.
 Anyone know what is going on here or have an idea for a work around?
73 Paul w2eck

w2eck

Joe & Norm
So did that. Download from ARRL into my Downloads folder and started update from the TQSL app. Got the same msg. So browsed to the downloads folder and selected newly downloaded update. Got the same msg. Maybe some kind of Win 10 PC glitch??
73 Paul

Norm - KC1BMD

It probably shouldn't matter but instead of downloading the TQSL update file from the ARRL site, launch the TQSL application directly (with an internet connection, of course). At the menu bar at the top, click "Help" and select "Check for updates" and try updating from there. This should automatically grab any necessary files (application and configuration file updates) and apply them.

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Joe Subich, W4TV

So browsed to the downloads folder and selected newly downloaded
update.
Browse to the download folder. *RIGHT CLICK* on the downloaded file
and select "Properties". At the bottom where it says "Security" check
the box that says "Unblock" then click Apply. Double click on the
file and it should install.

On 2022-06-16 11:10 AM, w2eck wrote:
Joe & Norm
So did that. Download from ARRL into my Downloads folder and started update from the TQSL app. Got the same msg. So browsed to the downloads folder and selected newly downloaded update. Got the same msg. Maybe some kind of Win 10 PC glitch??
73 Paul

w2eck

Joe
Did the right click/select properties/ on the download msi file. I see a Security tab, but in that tab do not see the word "Block" anywhare. Under the area that says Permissions for the System, all are checked allow.

73 and tnx for the help
Paul w2eck

Bruce - K5WBM

Did you try rebooting the computer?

Bruce - K5WBM

On Jun 16, 2022, at 1:23 PM, w2eck <eckerpw@...> wrote:

Joe
Did the right click/select properties/ on the download msi file. I see a Security tab, but in that tab do not see the word "Block" anywhare. Under the area that says Permissions for the System, all are checked allow.

73 and tnx for the help
Paul w2eck

Joe Subich, W4TV

I see a Security tab,
IT'S *NOT* ON THE SECURITY TAB. If the file is "blocked", that options
is at the very bottom of the GENERAL tab. If there is not a paragraph
that looks like:

Security This file came from another
computer and might be blocked to [ ] Unblock
help protect this computer

then you don't have the issue I think you do.

Are you sure your downloads are binary (not text)? A text download will
make the file unreadable/not executable to Windows.

On 2022-06-16 2:23 PM, w2eck wrote:
Joe
Did the right click/select properties/ on the download msi file. I see a Security tab, but in that tab do not see the word "Block" anywhare. Under the area that says Permissions for the System, all are checked allow.
73 and tnx for the help
Paul w2eck

w2eck

Joe No there is no verbiage like that at the bottom of the General tab, and the file is not a txt file, it has an .msi file extension

73 Paul w2eck

Joe Subich, W4TV

Then contact ARRL for help - this is not a DXLab Suite issue.

On 2022-06-16 4:52 PM, w2eck wrote:
Joe No there is no verbiage like that at the bottom of the General tab, and the file is not a txt file, it has an .msi file extension
73 Paul w2eck

Rick Murphy

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 5:44 PM Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

Then contact ARRL for help - this is not a DXLab Suite issue.

That's true, it's not a DXLab Issue. But I doubt that ARRL can help here.

First,  your message seems incomplete here.
"I get a msg saying "The file C:\ecker\APPData\roaming\trusted QSL\ is not a valid installation package. "
NOTE: That is a message from the Windows OS, not from DXLab or TQSL.

Yes, that isn't a valid installation package, as it's a folder and not a file.
It should be "C:\ecker\AppData\Roaming\TrustedQSL\tqslupdate.msi"

That's where it is downloaded to. If you browse there and see a "tqslupdate.msi" file, double click to open it.
If Windows is still saying it's not a valid installation package, then something is interfering with your ability to download that file. Since your direct download apparently had exactly the same issue, something is blocking that download, likely your antivirus / malware package.
You will need to discuss the issues with the antimalware company and ask why they're blocking the install.  Or, get the file in some other way, like dowloading onto a different computer.

(Off the wall question: can you verify that the date is set correctly on your computer?)
73,
    -Rik

--
Rick Murphy, D. Sc., CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA

w2eck

Rik
if I double click on the file in the Downloads directory, the first msg i get seems to be from the  TQSL program saying" the feature you are trying to use is on network resource that is not available" The downloads directory is on the same PC that the TQSL program resides. I am using Windows Security program and haven't gotten any messages from it?

73 & tnx for the reply
Paul w2eck

Rick Murphy

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 3:04 PM w2eck <eckerpw@...> wrote:
Rik
if I double click on the file in the Downloads directory, the first msg i get seems to be from the  TQSL program saying" the feature you are trying to use is on network resource that is not available"

That's a Windows message.  It indicates that the Windows Installer database on your computer has a corrupted set of data for the program that you are trying to install.
This is commonly caused by defective "Clean Up" programs that claim to remove unnecessary files and registry settings.

The first thing to try is to uninstall TQSL using "Add/Remove Programs". DO NOT open the program files folder and delete the files. If that succeeds, then try opening that tqslupdate.msi file again.

If the uninstall fails, or if the reinstall still doesn't work, then you can follow the guidance in https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-network-resource-unavailable-install-error-windows-10 and see if that repairs the damage.
73,
    -Rick
--
[...]

+ Many thanks to Rick K1MU for monitoring this group's messages and jumping in to provide TQSL support!

+ TQSL is an open source project. Rick has been improving TQSL since early 2013, when he combined two previously independent, defective, and cryptic applications (TQSL and TQSLCert) into a single reliable application with a modern interface capable of being localized to other languages by volunteers. Today, users can interact with TQSL in any of 15 languages, undoubtedly enabling many more users around the world to submit their QSOs to LoTW. If only LoTW's web interface were similarly localizable...

w2eck

Rick - thanks do much for helping me solve this issue with not being able to update TQSL. I first tried uninstalling TQSL2.6.1 as you suggested. That did not work. I got the same error msg that I received when trying to update the program. I went to the Windows link you sent and wound up having to download and run the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter program. I then ran it on TQSL 2.6.1 and it said " found and fixed the problem". Then downloaded and and installed 2.6.4 and it is running just fine. So thank you again for helping me on this problem and thanks so much for all that you do for the Ham Community in your work on the TQSL program.
73 Paul w2eck

Rick Murphy

Paul,
Thanks for letting me know you got this fixed. These can be very difficult problems to solve.
73,
    -Rick