"TQSL is unable to contact LoTW"

Dave AA6YQ

As you may recall, Rick, if the user has specified a pathname for TQSL.exe, DXKeeper on startup creates and runs a batch file that
invokes TQSL.exe with the -n command line option to be informed about

- a new version of TQSL
- a new version of TQSL's Configuration Data file
- expiring Callsign Certificates
- pending Callsign Certificates

Using the >2 command line option, the results of the operation are specified to be placed in a file named LotWNews.txt

Today, I and several other users began seeing this operation time out, causing DXKeeper to report "TQSL is unable to contact LoTW".

The Windows Task Manager shows that TQSL.exe is still running.

Running the batch file manually produces the same result: TQSL.exe starts, but doesn't terminate.

DXKeeper is still able to direct TQSL to upload QSOs to LoTW.

My guess is that LoTW is not providing the information that TQSL is requesting when invoked with the -n command line option; can you
investigate?

James Fuller N7VR

Hi Dave,
Dxview hangs with a command window open:
C:\DXLab\DXKeeper>"C:\TrustedQSL\tqsl.exe" -n 2>"C:\DXLab\DXKeeper\LotWNews.txt"
There is no response being shown.

This is after a restart for an install of KB5003173
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/may-11-2021-kb5003173-os-builds-19041-985-and-19042-985-2824ace2-eabe-4c3c-8a49-06e249f52527

Prior to the update, all worked well. I hope this might help.

Jim Fuller N7VR

On 5/12/2021 9:18 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
[...]

I am Sorry,
I meant DXKeeper.
[...]

+ DXKeeper isn't actually "hanging" is it?

+ See my message to TQSL developer Rick K1MU in

https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/201365?p=,,,20,0,0,0::created,0,,1,2,0,201365

Bernd - KB7AK

I saw the same issue yesterday, it happens directly after installing this week's Windows updates and the required reboot

ART W2NRA

Hi Dave,

I had this issue a couple of days ago. I figured out a copy of TQSL in a different directory. I deleted It and set TQSL’s location back to where DXLab’s settings said it should be. It’s working fine and no more pop up msg.

This is a guess but I think the culprit is Win 10 update.

73, Art W2NRA
CWOPS OPS #1955

Dave AA6YQ

+ Here's the diagnosis from Rick K1MU, the developer of TQSL:

--------------
Apparently this is the address lookup web service hanging.

For example, https://lotw.arrl.org/tqsl-setup.php?callsign=K1MU&dxcc=291

That should return a JSON blob with the station details for that call (address, etc.) it's currently not responding, eventually timing out.
If you have multiple callsigns, it'll have to time out the lookup for each one, so this can cause TQSL to hang on startup - not just when "-n" is used.

I'll ask the folks at HQ to have a look at it.

+ Thus this recent "TQSL is unable to contact LoTW" is not the result of a Windows 10 update!

+ Greg K0GW, who leads the ARRL's LoTW Committee, reports that ARRL staff are working to resolve the problem. They may have in fact corrected it, as when I just started DXKeeper, there was no "TQSL is unable to contact LoTW" message, and the Windows Task Manager does not show an instance of TQSL still running.

+ Here's what was happening:

1. At startup DXKeeper, created a batch job that started an instance of TQSL with a command line option to report the "news", meaning the availability of a new TQSL version, the availability of a new Configuration Data file, or the imminent expiration of one of your Callsign Certificates. If there is news to report, DXKeeper displays it in a small window.

2. Because of the LoTW lookup failure that Rick describes above, TQSL hung. When the "news" failed to appear within 30 seconds of the request, DXKeeper gave up and displayed the "TQSL is unable to contact LoTW" message. Note that DXKeeper was not twiddling its thumbs during this 30 seconds; it was operating normally, occasionally checking to see if TQSL had reported the "news".

3. The instance of TQSL started by the "report the news" batch job continued to run, but subsequent actions by DXKeeper to submit one or more QSOs to LoTW by invoking TQSL were successful, as they started an independent instance of TQSL.

+ Software that depends on interactions among multiple applications and online systems must be resilient -- able to detect failures, report them, and continue whatever operation is possible until the failure is repaired. In this case, the failure prevented nothing except display of the "news".

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 11:18 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

[...]

Rick Murphy, D. Sc., CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA