Topics

Terminate Non-DX Lab Applications

wb6bee

Since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I have not found the clue to terminating non-DXlab apps in Launcher.   The Windows 10 Task Manager doesn't have an "Applications" tab.   I have tried various configurations in the Caption window, but no cigar

Don
WB6BEE

Since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I have not found the clue to terminating non-DXlab apps in Launcher. The Windows 10 Task Manager doesn't have an "Applications" tab. I have tried various configurations in the Caption window, but no cigar

+ The Launcher can be configured to start non-DXLab applications, but cannot be configured to terminate them. That's because there is no standard way to convey an "initiate graceful shutdown" directive to Windows applications. Each DXLab application accepts a "initiate graceful shutdown" directive, which is how the Launcher instructs them to terminate.

+ Yes, the Launcher could terminate a non-DXLab application by invoking a Windows API that terminates the application's process, but that could cause the application to lose or corrupt data.

wb6bee

I seem to remember you could terminate "some" non-DXLab applications in Windows 7.    Appears not possible in Windows 10, so will quit attempting to do that.

Thanks

Don
WB6BEE

Ronald Wolenski

I have been doing it in Windows 10 since Windows 10 came out.  What you need to do is on the Apps started before DXLabs app or the Apps started after DXLabs Apps is to click on the Show Captions box, then enter the caption that is on the title window of the app exactly.  Now when you do a terminate it will also terminate the non-DXLabs app.  However like someone said, not all apps are written to terminate nicely so some apps won't terminate.
--
Ron N8WCR
https://n8wcr.us

I have been doing it in Windows 10 since Windows 10 came out. What you need to do is on the Apps started before DXLabs app or the Apps started after DXLabs Apps is to click on the Show Captions box, then enter the caption that is on the title window of the app exactly. Now when you do a terminate it will also terminate the non-DXLabs app. However like someone said, not all apps are written to terminate nicely so some apps won't terminate.

+ You are correct, Ron!

+ Not only did I forget that I extended the Launcher to provide the ability to terminate non-DXLab applications, but when I checked the documentation in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/Launcher/Help/ControllingApplications.htm>

+ there was no description of how to configure the Launcher to terminate non-DXLab applications. That's why my earlier response to the posted questions was incorrect.

+ This omission has been corrected: there's now a "Terminating non-DXLab applications" section that says

------------------
If you want a non-DXLab application to terminate when you click the Terminate button on the Launcher's Main window, you must specify the "caption" displayed in the title bar of its Main window. To do so, click the "Show Captions" button on the Configuration window's "Apps Started Before DXLab Apps" or "Apps Started After DXLab Apps" tab, and enter the caption in the application's "Main Window Caption" textbox. Note that the specified caption must exactly match the caption shown on the Windows Task Manager's Applications tab, including upper/lower case characters, spaces, and punctuation. Non-DXLab applications whose Main Window Caption changes over time cannot be terminated via the Terminate button.
------------------

+ Termination is accomplished by sending a WM_CLOSE message to the application with the specified Main window caption. By convention, the application should respond as if you clicked the X button in the upper-right corner of its Main window - but not all applications obey this convention.

wb6bee

Ron / Dave

The verbiage in the "Terminating non-DXLab applications" section is not really clear to understand.    To be specific, in Windows 7 task manager there is a tab at the top called "Applications".   There is no such tab in Windows 10.  The closest thing in Windows 10 is called " Processes" and it does not contain the correct caption to terminate a Non DXL function,   I believe what Ron was describing was the application name as listed in to top bar of the application.   The application name in on the left of the bar and the "minimize" and "close" buttons are on the right side.    For example, in Windows 10 Task manager, the process NaP3 is titled NaP3 (32 bit).  No caption like NaP3 (32 bit) or NaP3 will terminate.   However, the caption using what is in the applications top bar "NaP3 - Elecraft K3 - v5.6.0" will terminate.

If a browser is open, like Microsoft Edge, the name in the right hand first tab will terminate the Browser.

Multiple applications with the same name in the title bar appear to only terminate one.   I have three versions of Band Master running.   Only one will terminate.

Aggregator, running in the system tray, won't terminate

Haven't found a way to terminate Win4K3.  The title bar has time, band, power and all sorts of parameters noted, that change depending on what you are doing.

Anyway, glad to be able to terminate some of the functions running.

Don
WB6BEE

The verbiage in the "Terminating non-DXLab applications" section is not really clear to understand. To be specific, in Windows 7 task manager there is a tab at the top called "Applications". There is no such tab in Windows 10. The closest thing in Windows 10 is called " Processes" and it does not contain the correct caption to terminate a Non DXL function, I believe what Ron was describing was the application name as listed in to top bar of the application. The application name in on the left of the bar and the "minimize" and "close" buttons are on the right side. For example, in Windows 10 Task manager, the process NaP3 is titled NaP3 (32 bit). No caption like NaP3 (32 bit) or NaP3 will terminate. However, the caption using what is in the applications top bar "NaP3 - Elecraft K3 - v5.6.0" will terminate.

+ Thanks, Don! I have updated the descriptions in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/Launcher/Help/ControllingApplications.htm>

+ and

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/Launcher/Help/Configuration.htm>

+ to reference the information display in the main window title bar of the non-DXLab application to be terminated. The Windows Task Manager is no longer mentioned.