Topics

TCI protocol

Greg

I have been off the air for awhile.  The software for SunSDR now uses a control interface called TCI.  It is a very simple setup and can pass CAT data, audio, signals for controlling bandpass filters and amps.

Does DXLabs leverage this protocol or is there any plan to implement in the future?

Tnx
Greg
AB7R

I have been off the air for awhile.

+ Welcome back, Greg!

The software for SunSDR now uses a control interface called TCI.  It is a very simple setup and can pass CAT data, audio, signals for controlling bandpass filters and amps.

Does DXLabs leverage this protocol or is there any plan to implement in the future?

+ I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it above. Where's the specification?

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 11:52 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

I have been off the air for awhile.

+ Welcome back, Greg!

The software for SunSDR now uses a control interface called TCI. It is a very simple setup and can pass CAT data, audio, signals for controlling bandpass filters and amps.

Does DXLabs leverage this protocol or is there any plan to implement in the future?

+ I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it above. Where's the specification?
Google found: https://github.com/maksimus1210/TCI/blob/master/doc/TCI_interface_1.4.pdf

It appears that another solution may be to run the SunSDR software
with "ECAT" support enabled, which emulates a Kenwood transceiver,
probably combined with a software null modem (e.g. com0com).

I've not tried any of the above - just gleaned from a bit of curious
poking around....

73,

~iain / N6ML

The software for SunSDR now uses a control interface called TCI. It is a very simple setup and can pass CAT data, audio, signals for controlling bandpass filters and amps.

Does DXLabs leverage this protocol or is there any plan to implement in the future?

+ I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it above. Where's the specification?
Google found: https://github.com/maksimus1210/TCI/blob/master/doc/TCI_interface_1.4.pdf

+ Thanks, Iain. Though it claims otherwise, it appears to be designed to enable a panadaptor to interact with hardware to create an SDR. The level of description approaches Yaesu-class ambiguity and incompleteness. For example, in the description of the VFO command to set the receiver's tuning frequency, "arg2" is described as

"channel number (VFO A/B)"

+ Nowhere in the specification is there a definition of "channel" or "VFO".

+ Attempting to extend Commander to support such a poorly-specified protocol without direct access to the SDR hardware would be a waste of time.

It appears that another solution may be to run the SunSDR software with "ECAT" support enabled, which emulates a Kenwood transceiver, probably combined with a software null modem (e.g. com0com).

+ My understanding is that DXLab users that employ SunSDR software have been successfully using its Kenwood emulation -- which makes TCI's cost-benefit ratio even less attractive.

g4wjs

On 23/01/2021 21:21, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Hi Dave,

there is a client application with source code in the project_examples directory:

https://github.com/maksimus1210/TCI

Bill

G4WJS.

there is a client application with source code in the project_examples directory:

https://github.com/maksimus1210/TCI

+ Code is not documentation, especially when its devoid of comments.

g4wjs

On 23/01/2021 21:57, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

there is a client application with source code in the project_examples directory:

https://github.com/maksimus1210/TCI

+ Code is not documentation, especially when its devoid of comments.

Hi Dave,

I wasn't suggesting it was, just speculating that someone has made it work although I guess that someone is the same person that wrote the server side. It doesn't seem very comprehensive and looks like it focuses on displaying a spectrum/waterfall.

Bill

G4WJS.

I wasn't suggesting it was, just speculating that someone has made it work although I guess that someone is the same person that wrote the server side. It doesn't seem very comprehensive and looks like it focuses on displaying a spectrum/waterfall.

+ With direct access to a radio and a person who can answer questions, it can certainly be made to work. The site lists several logging applications that support it.

+ Given the Kenwood emulation option, I see no benefit to be gained in undertaking this unnecessarily difficult mission. Being in the middle of repetitively guessing how Yaesu's FTDX-10 works has not increased my appetite for this sort of project.

Greg

No COM ports are used, no VAC.  Provides connectivity for antenna
switches, amplifiers, loggers, multiple skimmers (no VAC) for CW and
digital modes...etc.

https://eesdr.com/en/software-en/software-en

http://sdc.qrz.ru/en/

Tnx

Greg

On 1/23/2021 3:36 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ None of that changes the fact that in the TCI specification's current form, I can't extend Commander to support it without physical access to a SunSDR.

+ Note that Commander provides connectivity for antenna switches, amplifiers, loggers, and skimmers via its secondary CAT port, and via its emission of N1MM-style UDP messages.