Sync LoTW QSOs strangeness

Chris Codella

Hi all.
For a while now, when doing a "Sync LoTW QSOs" in DXKeeper's QSL tab, the report never goes below "13 QSOs processed, 13 log entries updated". Sometimes, for example after I've done an upload, I'll first see some number above 13, then if I repeat the operation it'll again report a lucky 13 with each successive invocation.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? I've searched my log various ways looking for a clue to no avail, hence my question to the group.

Thanks, 73,
Chris, W2PA

Dave AA6YQ

For a while now, when doing a "Sync LoTW QSOs" in DXKeeper's QSL tab, the report never goes below "13 QSOs processed, 13 log entries updated". Sometimes, for example after I've done an upload, I'll first see some number above 13, then if I repeat the operation it'll again report a lucky 13 with each successive invocation.

+ What date and time appear beneath the "Sync LoTW QSOs" button?

+ When did you last submit new QSOs to LotW?

Chris Codella

On 5/20/2022 12:48 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
For a while now, when doing a "Sync LoTW QSOs" in DXKeeper's QSL tab, the report never goes below "13 QSOs processed, 13 log entries updated". Sometimes, for example after I've done an upload, I'll first see some number above 13, then if I repeat the operation it'll again report a lucky 13 with each successive invocation.

+ What date and time appear beneath the "Sync LoTW QSOs" button?

+ When did you last submit new QSOs to LotW?

The date and time beneath the button never change each time I get
the 13 count: 5/19/2022 18:46:45 That is roughly six minutes after my last upload at 18:40:21 of the same day (and the last time the date/time changed).

73,
Chris, W2PA

For a while now, when doing a "Sync LoTW QSOs" in DXKeeper's QSL tab, the report never goes below "13 QSOs processed, 13 log entries updated". Sometimes, for example after I've done an upload, I'll first see some number above 13, then if I repeat the operation it'll again report a lucky 13 with each successive invocation.

+ What date and time appear beneath the "Sync LoTW QSOs" button?

+ When did you last submit new QSOs to LotW?

The date and time beneath the button never change each time I get
the 13 count: 5/19/2022 18:46:45 That is roughly six minutes after my last upload at 18:40:21 of the same day (and the last time the date/time changed).
+ There is a long-standing defect in the LoTW web service that DXKeeper uses to implement "Sync LoTW QSOs" and "Sync LoTW QSLs": when directed to report all QSOs newly accepted after 5/19/2022 18:46:45, for example, it reports all QSOs newly accepted after 5/19/2022 00:00:00. Thus if you continue to invoke "Sync LoTW QSOs", LoTW will continue to report all QSOs accepted between 5/19/2022 00:00:00 and 5/19/2022 18:46:45. Similar behavior occurs with "Sync LoTW QSLs".

+ I first reported this defect to the ARRL when LoTW first became publicly available ~19 years ago.

Chris Codella

On 5/20/2022 7:25 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
For a while now, when doing a "Sync LoTW QSOs" in DXKeeper's QSL tab, the report never goes below "13 QSOs processed, 13 log entries updated". Sometimes, for example after I've done an upload, I'll first see some number above 13, then if I repeat the operation it'll again report a lucky 13 with each successive invocation.

+ What date and time appear beneath the "Sync LoTW QSOs" button?

+ When did you last submit new QSOs to LotW?

The date and time beneath the button never change each time I get
the 13 count: 5/19/2022 18:46:45 That is roughly six minutes after my last upload at 18:40:21 of the same day (and the last time the date/time changed).
+ There is a long-standing defect in the LoTW web service that DXKeeper uses to implement "Sync LoTW QSOs" and "Sync LoTW QSLs": when directed to report all QSOs newly accepted after 5/19/2022 18:46:45, for example, it reports all QSOs newly accepted after 5/19/2022 00:00:00. Thus if you continue to invoke "Sync LoTW QSOs", LoTW will continue to report all QSOs accepted between 5/19/2022 00:00:00 and 5/19/2022 18:46:45. Similar behavior occurs with "Sync LoTW QSLs".

+ I first reported this defect to the ARRL when LoTW first became publicly available ~19 years ago.

>>> I had to read this a few times to make sure you weren't kidding (by pointing to my exact time ;-).
So, if I understand correctly, you're saying this defect causes it to keep reporting all QSOs accepted since the last upload, up until the time of my first "Sync"?  Sounds like that would explain this behavior.  I've never run into it before because I don't normally do more than one sync after an upload.  I just happened to hit this by accident.

And in the first "Sync" after my last upload it reported 30-something QSOs processed, but then came back to 13 after that, so it's still a bit puzzling. Why didn't it continue to report the same 30-something?  I'll try again after making some QSOs tomorrow and see how or if the behavior changes.

Thanks for the answer though, Dave.  I'll chalk it up to a long standing issue.

73,
Chris, W2PA

Dave AA6YQ

I had to read this a few times to make sure you weren't kidding (by pointing to my exact time ;-).
So, if I understand correctly, you're saying this defect causes it to keep reporting all QSOs accepted since the last upload, up until the time of my first "Sync"? Sounds like that would explain this behavior. I've never run into it before because I don't normally do more than one sync after an upload. I just happened to hit this by accident.

And in the first "Sync" after my last upload it reported 30-something QSOs processed, but then came back to 13 after that, so it's still a bit puzzling. Why didn't it continue to report the same 30-something?

+ The first 17-something were accepted prior to 0Z the specified date. The last 13 were accepted after 0Z on the specified date, and will continue to be reported by LoTW until it accepts one or more QSOs after that date.