Topics

Sync LOTW QSL's time out

Julio Peralta

Last night I attempted to run Ctrl + Sync LOTW QSL’s function as you recommended, however the process timed out after less than 30 seconds and a DXK error message popped up “Unable to download from LOTW connection timeout”

Julio, W4HY

Last night I attempted to run Ctrl + Sync LOTW QSL's function as you recommended, however the process timed out after less than 30
seconds and a DXK error message popped up "Unable to download from LOTW connection timeout"

+ Since you haven't recently reported being unable to Sync with LoTW, this was presumably the result of an intermittent failure;
perhaps LoTW or your ISP were "down".

Julio Peralta

At this point I've tried several times during the
day and am getting the same error.

Julio

Last night I attempted to run Ctrl + Sync LOTW
QSL's function as you recommended, however the
process timed out after less than 30
seconds and a DXK error message popped up "Unable
to download from LOTW connection timeout"

+ Since you haven't recently reported being unable
to Sync with LoTW, this was presumably the result
of an intermittent failure;
perhaps LoTW or your ISP were "down".

At this point I've tried several times during the day and am getting the same error.

+ If your internet connection is working, then check for a misconfigured anti-malware application that is preventing DXKeeper from
accessing the internet. Test for this by booting Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking" to see if DXKeeper can now Sync with LoTW.

Julio Peralta

I checked MS Defender and I have the whole DXL
directory listed as safe.

I booted into safe mode with networking and
received the same results. The Ctrl + "Sync LOTW
QSL's" process times out after about 30 seconds
and an error message pops up. unable to download
from LOTW connection timeout.

I've never really had any problems with LOTW
before this. Just clicking on "Sync LOTW QSL's"
seems to work as I see messages telling me that
1,2,3... QSL's have been updated and in fact the R
has changed to a Y in the LOTW recv box.

Julio

At this point I've tried several times during the
day and am getting the same error.

+ If your internet connection is working, then
check for a misconfigured anti-malware application
that is preventing DXKeeper from
accessing the internet. Test for this by booting
Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking" to see if
DXKeeper can now Sync with LoTW.

I checked MS Defender and I have the whole DXL directory listed as safe.

I booted into safe mode with networking and received the same results. The Ctrl + "Sync LOTW QSL's" process times out after about 30
seconds and an error message pops up. unable to download from LOTW connection timeout.

I've never really had any problems with LOTW before this. Just clicking on "Sync LOTW QSL's"
seems to work as I see messages telling me that 1,2,3... QSL's have been updated and in fact the R has changed to a Y in the LOTW
recv box.

+ Your results show that interference from a misconfigured anti-malware application are not responsible for the timeout.

+ When you depress the CTRL key and click "Sync LoTW QSLs", LoTW is directed to report all confirmed QSOs in your LoTW account. It
can take LoTW awhile to assemble the response it will send to DXKeeper. Evidently, something in your system's internet stack is
giving up before that response is received. You can work around that by breaking the operation into two separate transactions:

1. use your web browser to download the confirmed QSOs from LoTW

2. direct DXKeeper to process the downloaded confirmed QSOs

+ This accomplished by temporarily checking the "PC has no internet connection" box on the LoTW tab of DXKeeper's Configuration
window, and then following the "Obtaining New Confirmations from LotW" instructions in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/LotWNoInternetAccess>

+ with the modification that in step 3, you should depress the CTRL key when invoking "Sync LoTW QSLs".

+ As mentioned in my previous response, you can alternative use DXKeeper's "DXCC Credit Manager" to update your logged QSOs to
reflect DXCC Credit Granted.

+ Next time, I hope you'll use DXKeeper's DXCC Submission automation, as it would reduce your current activity to clicking its
"Verify Submission" button.

Julio Peralta

I ran the process you recommended in "Obtaining
New Confirmations from LotW" the result was a 1K
size .adi file with one QSO in it, so I didn't go
any further.

I don't understand what the internet stack is and
how it could be causing the time out, is that
something that can be fixed?

Julio

[...]

* AA6YQ comments below

I ran the process you recommended in "Obtaining New Confirmations from LotW" the result was a 1K size .adi file with one QSO in it,
so I didn't go any further.

* In step 3 of the "Obtaining New Confirmations from LoTW" section of

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/LotWNoInternetAccess>

did you depress the CTRL key when invoking "Sync LoTW QSLs" as stated in my post below?

I don't understand what the internet stack is and how it could be causing the time out, is that something that can be fixed?

* The "Internet Stack" is the collection of components - from device driver to network functionality - that enable Windows to access
the internet. Most of these components can be "tuned" either through the Windows Control panel, or entries in the Windows Registry.
Some application adjust some of the settings. Some of these components impose timeouts.

[...]

https://www.avg.com

Julio Peralta

I missed the step about using the ctrl key. I went
back and used the control key and received the
same results a 1K file with one QSO in it.

Julio

[...]

+ I assume that you have more than one QSO confirmed via LoTW.

+ With the "PC has no internet connection" option enabled, CTRL-Clicking the "Sync LoTW QSLs" button displays a "DXKeeper Sync LotW
QSLs (no internet)" window whose first line is

"Perform the LoTW query:"

+ followed by a URL. If you successfully depressed the CTRL key while clicking the "Sync LoTW QSLs" button, then the URL will not
include a

qso_qslsince

parameter, which means "report all QSOs confirmed via LoTW".

+ Note that DXKeeper places this URL in the Windows Clipboard, so you can simply paste it into your web browser's address bar.

+ If you still can't get this working, please paste the URL into an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com