Switching EXTFSK port

Bob N9AKR

I have an IC-7300 and IC-9700 side by side set up for RTTY fsk with WinWarbler. The multi radio function works great
switching between rigs. I don’t see a way to switch the EXTFSK port automatically however. The rigs use a different
fsk port. I can change the port manually in the EXTFSK 2.0e window but I’m wondering if there isn’t a better way.

Bob, N9AKR

Joe Subich, W4TV

With stand alone MMTTY you can copy EXTFSK64.FSK in the MMTTY directory
and rename that copy EXTFSK64_1.FSK. Both EXTFSK64 and EXTFSK64_1 will
appear as choices in the PTT&FSK port. One can be used for each rig as
each version will generate its own ini file.

Unfortunately, I have not found a way to enable both EXTFSK64 and EXTFSK64_1 options for FSK Control in WinWarbler and WW -> MultiRadio.

The one option that WinWarbler and WW -> MultiRadio will support is
installing both the original EXTFSK (EXTFSK 1.06) and the 64 bit
EXTFSK64 (EXTFSK 2.0e). You can use one for one rig and one for
the other (each will have its own port). The only downside is the
higher bit jitter in EXTFSK 1.06.

If EXTFSK.dll is not already installed in WinWrbler, you can also
copy EXTFSK64.FSK to EXTFSK.dll then use EXTFSK64 for one radio
and EXTFSK for the other one.

On 2021-01-30 12:27 PM, Bob N9AKR wrote:
I have an IC-7300 and IC-9700 side by side set up for RTTY fsk with WinWarbler. The multi radio function works great
switching between rigs. I don’t see a way to switch the EXTFSK port automatically however. The rigs use a different
fsk port. I can change the port manually in the EXTFSK 2.0e window but I’m wondering if there isn’t a better way.
Bob, N9AKR

Bob N9AKR

Hi Joe,

What about 2 different instances of MMTTY? Could WW select one or the other for a specific rig?

Bob, N9AKR

On 2021-01-30 12:27 PM, Bob N9AKR wrote:
[...]

+ WinWarbler includes EXTFSK.dll so it should always be present.

+ Have you tried this:

1. rename EXTFSK.dll to EXTFSK106.dll

2. make a copy of EXTFSK64.FSK and rename that copy EXTFSK.dll

?

What about 2 different instances of MMTTY? Could WW select one or the other for a specific rig?

+ It would be far less work to extend WinWarbler to update EXTFSK.ini when switching transceivers, if the renaming technique suggested earlier isn't effective.

Bob N9AKR

Hi Dave,

So what exactly was this supposed to do? Do I need to change a setting also? When I switch rigs on Commander the
EXTFSK port doesn't change.

Bob

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 11:59 AM, Bob N9AKR wrote:
So what exactly was this supposed to do?
+ To what does the word "this" refer?

Bob N9AKR

+ AA6YQ comments below

With stand alone MMTTY you can copy EXTFSK64.FSK in the MMTTY directory and rename that copy EXTFSK64_1.FSK.  Both EXTFSK64 and EXTFSK64_1 will appear as choices in the PTT&FSK port.  One can be used for each rig as each version will generate its own ini file.

Unfortunately, I have not found a way to enable both EXTFSK64 and
EXTFSK64_1 options for FSK Control in WinWarbler and WW -> MultiRadio.

+ Have you tried this:

1. rename EXTFSK.dll to EXTFSK106.dll

2. make a copy of EXTFSK64.FSK and rename that copy EXTFSK.dll

?

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 11:59 AM, Bob N9AKR wrote:
So what exactly was this supposed to do?
+ To what does the word "this" refer?

# More AA6YQ comments below
+ AA6YQ comments below

With stand alone MMTTY you can copy EXTFSK64.FSK in the MMTTY directory and rename that copy EXTFSK64_1.FSK.  Both EXTFSK64 and EXTFSK64_1 will appear as choices in the PTT&FSK port.  One can be used for each rig as each version will generate its own ini file.

Unfortunately, I have not found a way to enable both EXTFSK64 and
EXTFSK64_1 options for FSK Control in WinWarbler and WW -> MultiRadio.

+ Have you tried this:

1. rename EXTFSK.dll to EXTFSK106.dll

2. make a copy of EXTFSK64.FSK and rename that copy EXTFSK.dll

# Along the lines of Joe W4TV's suggestion, if the above approach works, you'd use the RTTY tab of WinWarbler's "MultiRadio Configuration" window to select EXTFSK for one transceiver, and EXTFSK64 for the other, and then configure each to select the desired port. Both would be instances of EXTFSK64.

Bob N9AKR

Dave,

Thanks for the clarification on where we were going. I did what you said putting one rig on extfsk and extfsk64 on the other.
Whenever I switch to the rig on extfsk I get an error message “cannot open extfsk at 45 baud; if the selected serial port can’t handle this baud rate, use ext fsk”

Bob

[...]

+ Please make a screen shot showing that error message, attach it to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Joe Subich, W4TV

No, WinWarbler does not permit selecting among multiple instances
of MMTTY. It always uses the instance of MMTTY installed in the
WinWarbler folder.

Using EXTFSK.dll for one radio and EXTFSK64.FSK for the other
controlled by WinWarbler's MultiRadio function is the only way
I know to select FSK port independently with EXTFSK. I always
use UART (hardware/interface) ports for FSK not the USB port and
"bit flipped" FSK built into the radio.

The one limitation of using EXTFSK/EXTFSK64 and WinWarbler's
MultiRadio capability is that it only supports two of the
potential four radios.

Hi Joe,
-----Original Message----- From: Joe Subich, W4TV
On 2021-01-30 12:27 PM, Bob N9AKR wrote:
I have an IC-7300 and IC-9700 side by side set up for RTTY fsk with WinWarbler. The multi radio function works great
switching between rigs. I don’t see a way to switch the EXTFSK port automatically however. The rigs use a different
fsk port. I can change the port manually in the EXTFSK 2.0e window but I’m wondering if there isn’t a better way.

Bob, N9AKR

Bob N9AKR

Thanks for the info Joe. I'm running usb all the way on those rigs using virtual splitters. It works well except I need to run the
splitter program first b4 I start up Commander & WinWarbler. It's nice using just one usb cable to each rig.

Bob

Hi Joe,

On 2021-01-30 12:27 PM, Bob N9AKR wrote:
I have an IC-7300 and IC-9700 side by side set up for RTTY fsk with WinWarbler. The multi radio function works great
switching between rigs. I don’t see a way to switch the EXTFSK port automatically however. The rigs use a different
fsk port. I can change the port manually in the EXTFSK 2.0e window but I’m wondering if there isn’t a better way.

Bob, N9AKR

Thanks for the info Joe. I'm running usb all the way on those rigs using virtual splitters. It works well except I need to run the
splitter program first b4 I start up Commander & WinWarbler. It's nice using just one usb cable to each rig.

+ You can configure the DXLab Launcher to automatically start your splitter program.

Bob N9AKR

Yes indeed, Dave. I just did that yesterday and it works nicely. Wish I could do that when I start WSJT when I’m not using your
programs!

Bob

Thanks for the info Joe. I'm running usb all the way on those rigs using virtual splitters. It works well except I need to run the
splitter program first b4 I start up Commander & WinWarbler. It's nice using just one usb cable to each rig.

+ You can configure the DXLab Launcher to automatically start your splitter program.

Thanks for the screen shot. The

“cannot open extfsk at 45 baud; if the selected serial port can’t handle this baud rate, use extfsk”

message comes from EXTFSK, not from WinWarbler.

The implication is that EXTFSK is configured to open the selected serial port at 45 baud, but when it attempts to do so, it is informed that that port doesn't support operation at 45 baud.

You can only use the TxD option in EXTFSK's "FSK output" panel with a serial port that supports 45 baud, which many serial ports don't do. Use RTS or DTR instead.

See step 7.b in the "Configuring WinWarbler for FSK operation" section of "RTTY FSK":

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FSKConnection

Bob N9AKR

Dave,

I'm getting confused here. Will both instances still be EXTFSK64? That's what I'm after.

Bob

“cannot open extfsk at 45 baud; if the selected serial port can’t handle this baud rate, use extfsk”

message comes from EXTFSK, not from WinWarbler.

The implication is that EXTFSK is configured to open the selected serial port at 45 baud, but when it attempts to do so, it is informed that that port doesn't support operation at 45 baud.

You can only use the TxD option in EXTFSK's "FSK output" panel with a serial port that supports 45 baud, which many serial ports don't do. Use RTS or DTR instead.

See step 7.b in the "Configuring WinWarbler for FSK operation" section of "RTTY FSK":

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FSKConnection

I'm getting confused here. Will both instances still be EXTFSK64? That's what I'm after.

+ Based on Joe W4TV's earlier suggestion, I recommended creating an instance of EXTFSK64 named EXTFSK. If this works, then both radios would be using EXTFSK64, though one would be selecting EXTFSK.

ve3ki

I suspect this might not work. As I recall, EXTFSK or EXTFSK64 remembers its COM port using an ini file which, IIRC, is in the same directory as the dll itself (the MMTTY program directory, I think). You need two separate ini files to remember two separate COM ports. If the name of the ini file is hardwired inside the dll, renaming a copy of the same dll isn't going to help; you would need to use two separate dlls with different hardwired ini file names. The name of the ini file would have to be based on the file name of the dll, not hardwired inside the code, in order to support two copies of the same dll using different ini files.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 05:11 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ I was hoping there would be two distinct .ini files based on the DLL name -- one for EXTFSK, and the other for EXTFSK64. If that's not the case, then you're correct, Rich, this scheme won't work.