Switching between FT-8 and CW modes

Jim NG2J

I’ve read over the setup procedure for direct operation with WSJT and DXLab but wonder is the setup is compatible with using WinWarbler/Commander for CW (controlling a 7300).

That is, assuming the setup enables FT-8 contacts with WSJT and logging to DxKeeper, if I want to switch modes to CW, is the process as simple as quitting WSJT and launching WinWarbler or do some settings have to be restored in the Config panels for DxKeeper, Commander and Spot Collector?

I can try it for myself but if someone already knows that switching modes is a big deal, then it will save me some time and I will stick to a simple WSJT - JTAlert - DXKeeper setup.

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

That is, assuming the setup enables FT-8 contacts with WSJT and logging to DxKeeper, if I want to switch modes to CW, is the process as simple as quitting WSJT and launching WinWarbler or do some settings have to be restored in the Config panels for DxKeeper, Commander and Spot Collector?

+ No setting changes in DXKeeper, Commander, or SpotCollector are required, though you'll probably want to adjust your radio's RX bandwidth. I frequently switch between WinWarbler (CW) and the direct interoperation between DXLab and WSJT-X.

Dave, AA6YQ

AF4T

Dave:

Are you able to switch between WinWarbler and WJST-X without closing the one you aren't using?

I will swap between the two pretty often myself, but I have to do it on an either-or basis.  I can't get WSJT-X (or WSJT-X plus JTAlert to be accurate) to connect to Commander if WinWarbler is running.

Since I managed to forget to turn off WinWarbler about one-third of the time, I worked out an AutoIT script that:
1.  Closes WinWarbler;
2.  Starts JTAlert and WSJT-X;
3.  Goes into a (timed) idle loop while JTAlert and WSJT-X are running.
4.  When JTAlert and WSJT-X are both closed, and the loop timer ends/restarts, the script automatically restarts WinWarbler and the script ends.

It's clunky, it's pathetic I need a crutch  for something that simple, and neither WinWarbler nor JTAlert+WSTJ-X start up all that quickly for me, but it does work.  I am sure one could do the same with AHK.  I should try that myself and see if AHK executes any faster than AutoIT.

Thanks, Doug AF4T

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2022-05-13 10:17 AM, AF4T wrote:

Are you able to switch between WinWarbler and WJST-X /without /closing
the one you aren't using?
I do it all the time with WinWarbler and JTDX/JTAlert using Commander
for rig control. I have a set of mode based macros in WinWarbler that
will even set the receive bandwidth based on mode (4 KHz for PSK/DATA-U,
400 Hz for CW).

... Joe, W4TV

Dave:
Are you able to switch between WinWarbler and WJST-X /without /closing the one you aren't using?
I will swap between the two pretty often myself, but I have to do it on an either-or basis.  I can't get WSJT-X (or WSJT-X plus JTAlert to be accurate) to connect to Commander if WinWarbler is running.
Since I managed to forget to turn off WinWarbler about one-third of the time, I worked out an AutoIT script that:
1.  Closes WinWarbler;
4.  When JTAlert and WSJT-X are both closed, /and /the loop timer ends/restarts, the script automatically restarts WinWarbler and the script ends.
It's clunky, it's pathetic I need a crutch  for something that simple, and neither WinWarbler nor JTAlert+WSTJ-X start up all that quickly for me, but it /does /work.  I am sure one could do the same with AHK.  I should try that myself and see if AHK executes any faster than AutoIT.
Thanks, Doug AF4T

Ron Rosson

Joe,

Would you mind sharing the macros and what is needed to get this to work.

--
73 de KF5JRA
Ron
kf5jra at oneinsane dot org

On May 13, 2022, at 8:57 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

>
> Are you able to switch between WinWarbler and WJST-X /without /closing
> the one you aren't using?

for rig control.  I have a set of mode based macros in WinWarbler that
400 Hz for CW).

... Joe, W4TV

Dave:
Are you able to switch between WinWarbler and WJST-X /without /closing the one you aren't using?
1.  Closes WinWarbler;
4.  When JTAlert and WSJT-X are both closed, /and /the loop timer ends/restarts, the script automatically restarts WinWarbler and the script ends.
It's clunky, it's pathetic I need a crutch  for something that simple, and neither WinWarbler nor JTAlert+WSTJ-X start up all that quickly for me, but it /does /work.  I am sure one could do the same with AHK.  I should try that myself and see if AHK executes any faster than AutoIT.
Thanks, Doug AF4T

Joe Subich, W4TV

There is nothing special needed to make it work. I simply load
an appropriate <xcvrcommand, > string in each of Winwarbler
mode startup macro slots. WW causes that command string to be
sent to my transceiver each time the mode changes in WW.

WW is configured to select CW when the transceiver operating
mode is CW or CW-R, Phone when the transceiver operating mode
is AM, FM, USB or LSB, RTTY when the transceiver operating mode
is RTTY or RTTY-R and PSK31 when the transceiver operating mode
is DATA-U or DATA-L.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-05-13 11:09 AM, Ron Rosson via groups.io wrote:
Joe,
Would you mind sharing the macros and what is needed to get this to work.
--
73 de KF5JRA
Ron
kf5jra at oneinsane dot org

On May 13, 2022, at 8:57 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

Are you able to switch between WinWarbler and WJST-X /without /closing
the one you aren't using?
for rig control. I have a set of mode based macros in WinWarbler that
400 Hz for CW).

... Joe, W4TV

Dave:
I will swap between the two pretty often myself, but I have to do it on an either-or basis. I can't get WSJT-X (or WSJT-X plus JTAlert to be accurate) to connect to Commander if WinWarbler is running.
1. Closes WinWarbler;
2. Starts JTAlert and WSJT-X;
3. Goes into a (timed) idle loop while JTAlert and WSJT-X are running.
4. When JTAlert and WSJT-X are both closed, /and /the loop timer ends/restarts, the script automatically restarts WinWarbler and the script ends.
It's clunky, it's pathetic I need a crutch for something that simple, and neither WinWarbler nor JTAlert+WSTJ-X start up all that quickly for me, but it /does /work. I am sure one could do the same with AHK. I should try that myself and see if AHK executes any faster than AutoIT.
Thanks, Doug AF4T

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Are you able to switch between WinWarbler and WJST-X without closing the one you aren't using?

+ I don’t do that, for two reasons:

1. I'm not confident in the behavior of Windows and its soundcard drivers when the same soundcard section is opened by more than one application

2. Every running application consumes CPU and memory resources.

Dave, AA6YQ