Support for icom ID-5100

nicolas.mailloux@...

Hi, is support for ID-5100 planned ? It already almost works using othe rmodels.

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 4:23 PM <nicolas.mailloux@micronick.com> wrote:

Hi, is support for ID-5100 planned ? It already almost works using othe rmodels.
Which radio did you set it to that is "close"? I have the baby
brother, ID-4100A and would like to see what I can do with Commander
and that radio.

Hi, is support for ID-5100 planned ? It already almost works using othe models.

+ The ID-5100 only operates on 144 mHz and 440 mHz, and only in AM, FM, or Digital Voice; neither CW nor SSB are supported. It's CI-V instruction set is significantly different than that of any other Icom transceiver supported by Commander.

+ I have no plan to extend Commander to support the ID-5100.

nicolas.mailloux@...

The ID-5100 only operates on 144 mHz and 440 mHz, and only in AM, FM, or Digital Voice; neither CW nor SSB are supported. It's CI-V instruction set is significantly different than that of any other Icom transceiver supported by Commander.

I have no plan to extend Commander to support the ID-5100.
Thanks for letting us know, Dave. I have already started on writing a software for operating the 5100 in a headless mode.

nicolas.mailloux@...

Which radio did you set it to that is "close"? I have the baby
brother, ID-4100A and would like to see what I can do with Commander
and that radio.
IC-756 works for basic stuff.

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 10:59 AM <nicolas.mailloux@micronick.com> wrote:

Which radio did you set it to that is "close"? I have the baby
brother, ID-4100A and would like to see what I can do with Commander
and that radio.

IC-756 works for basic stuff.

Thanks - I'll give that a try.

DF4OR has a (metric) ton of CI-V stuff here, but his fascination ran
out some years ago. So, as a result, there isn't much new stuff
there. As you've found, the basic commands are all the same. Where
the command set really goes crazy is with the $1A subcommands - that's
where all the "unique to a particular model" stuff seems to go.

http://www.plicht.de/ekki/civ/

Icom has never been really good at documenting CI-V but the site above
is a good stand-in. Maybe we should see if the author would let us
convert that to a Wiki and expand on it ...

nicolas.mailloux@...

Edited

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 12:21 PM, Peter Laws / N5UWY wrote:
DF4OR has a (metric) ton of CI-V stuff here, but his fascination ran
out some years ago. So, as a result, there isn't much new stuff
there. As you've found, the basic commands are all the same. Where
the command set really goes crazy is with the $1A subcommands - that's
where all the "unique to a particular model" stuff seems to go.

http://www.plicht.de/ekki/civ/

Icom has never been really good at documenting CI-V but the site above
is a good stand-in. Maybe we should see if the author would let us
convert that to a Wiki and expand on it ...
Thanks, I'm working on something similar specifically made for the ID-5000. I already have a console (dos) application in alpha mode with almost no features, but this is going to be the test base for a more user friendly windows application. My goal is to have a command line that works under linux and windows and a gui application that works on Windows that will mimic the LCD screen.

VE2UTK

Which radio did you set it to that is "close"? I have the baby
brother, ID-4100A and would like to see what I can do with Commander
and that radio.

IC-756 works for basic stuff.

Thanks - I'll give that a try.

DF4OR has a (metric) ton of CI-V stuff here, but his fascination ran out some years ago. So, as a result, there isn't much new stuff there. As you've found, the basic commands are all the same. Where the command set really goes crazy is with the $1A subcommands - that's where all the "unique to a particular model" stuff seems to go.

+ The ID-5100 diverges in VFO support (command 07), as well as not supporting CW and SSB (command 04).