Topics

Spotcollector - settings lost

Matthias Zwoch

Worked this morning abt 1h on the bands and then closed all DXLabs apps
with "terminate" in the launcher. Started some hours later again and
spotcollctor asked for my callsign. I set the callsign but all spot
sources, queries etc. had gone. All other applications kept their
settings properly.
Not a big problem - restored the spotcollector part from my last saved
workspace and all was fine again. This was the 2nd time during the last
few months I had to restore the spotcollector settings. Maybe be a
little bug there.

73 Matthias, DD7NT

John G

I too have had that happen, after a 'terminate' shutdown.

+ AA6YQ comments

Worked this morning abt 1h on the bands and then closed all DXLabs apps with "terminate" in the launcher. Started some hours later again and spotcollctor asked for my callsign. I set the callsign but all spot sources, queries etc. had gone. All other applications kept their settings properly.
Not a big problem - restored the spotcollector part from my last saved workspace and all was fine again. This was the 2nd time during the last few months I had to restore the spotcollector settings. Maybe be a little bug there.

+ Other than by directing the Launcher to load a Workspace containing empty settings, the loss of all SpotCollector settings can only be explained by a defect in Windows, or a hardware failure. I suggest that you review you Windows Event Logs for hardware and software failures.

Matthias Zwoch

Am 06.01.2021 um 21:55 schrieb Dave AA6YQ:
+ AA6YQ comments

Worked this morning abt 1h on the bands and then closed all DXLabs apps with "terminate" in the launcher. Started some hours later again and spotcollctor asked for my callsign. I set the callsign but all spot sources, queries etc. had gone. All other applications kept their settings properly.
Not a big problem - restored the spotcollector part from my last saved workspace and all was fine again. This was the 2nd time during the last few months I had to restore the spotcollector settings. Maybe be a little bug there.

+ Other than by directing the Launcher to load a Workspace containing empty settings, the loss of all SpotCollector settings can only be explained by a defect in Windows, or a hardware failure. I suggest that you review you Windows Event Logs for hardware and software failures.

Tnx Dave,

Checked the event log - application & system part. Nothing remarkable
there. But saw a defender update this morning at that time due to "rule
desingn changes". Some sevices were switched off and on and a lot of
other steps were reported. Maybe this has had a side efffect.
Tested the SATPC32 integration these days. Works fine and does save a
lot of typing when logging SAT QSOs

tnx agn 73 Matthias, DD7NT

3a2mw Franco Lucioni

Hello,
I had also that happen, 5/6 times in the last months. I use AVG , not Defender.
Easy repair from Workspace.
The page, coming after you introduced your call, has all the spots you had when closing last time and no sources.
73 Franco 3A2MW

I had also that happen, 5/6 times in the last months. I use AVG , not Defender.
Easy repair from Workspace.
The page, coming after you introduced your call, has all the spots you had when closing last time and no sources.

+ On startup, SpotCollector attempts to read the "Operator Callsign" setting from the Windows Registry. If this setting is empty, then SpotCollector prompts you to specify your callsign.

+ The only way that SpotCollector can clear the "Operator Callsign" setting in the Registry is if you clear the "Operator Callsign" box on the Configuration window's General tab, and then terminate SpotCollector.

+ Thus I suspect that something on your system is making changes to SpotCollector's settings stored in the Windows Registry.