Topics

Spotcollector, or Capture problem?

David Bunte

I have been experiencing some bothersome behavior for some time now.

Not always, but almost always when I double click on a spot in SC the call shows up in Capture, disappears, and shows up again... that might happen up to 4 times before the call stays there. The rig almost always switches to the correct frequency right away, but sometimes the mode is not seen in Capture, and sometimes previous contacts with that station do not show up in DXK until the 2nd or third time the call appears in Capture.

I dabble in a few contests, mostly looking for friends without bothering to use N1MM+, but just logging as usual in DXK. Sometimes while doing that I will double click a spot in SC and the call may show up, then go away, but then the call of a previous QSO will show up in the Capture window. Earlier tonight I double clicked on a call in SC and over the next 10 or 20 seconds the calls of each of my previous QSOs showed up in Capture before the one I wanted finally stayed in the Capture window... but the station's name, and QTH never showed up, although I had worked them many times.

I ran this past some of the locals using DXLab and we still have not figured it out.

I am running a 4th generation i7 with 16 GB of ram. Win 10 64 bit is running... Version 1903. I prune my Spot Database to remove entries older than 1 day. This evening the Database size is 31249.

 Although I don't do much contesting, the problem is also annoying in my casual rag chewing and DX chasing.

Suggestions are very welcome.

73 de Dave - K9FN

[...]

+ So that I can see what's going on, please do the following:

1. on the General tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, check the "log debugging info" box

2. terminate DXKeeper

3. start DXKeeper

4. when the adverse behavior first occurs,

4a. on the General tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, uncheck the "log debugging info" box

4b. describe the specific adverse behavior that occurred in an email message (callsign, date, time, band, mode, what you observed happening)

4c. attach the errorlog.txt file from your DXKeeper folder to the email message created in step 4.b

4d. send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 08:08 PM, David Bunte wrote:

[...]

+ The errorlog that Dave K9FN sent me in followup to the above problem report revealed a defect in SpotCollector created when I extended it to interoperate directly with WSJT-X: if WinWarbler is running, double-clicking a Spot Database Entry whose mode is not a "K1JT mode" erroneously sends the Entry's information to both WinWarbler and DXKeeper. WinWarbler subsequently sends the information to DXKeeper, which performs a second "lookup", causing the behavior Dave reports above. I have corrected this defect in the next version of DXKeeper, with which I would appreciate some help testing. If you typically run SpotCollector with WinWarbler also running, are comfortable manually downloading a zip file from the internet and extracting the file it contains into your SpotCollector folder, and would like to help with the testing, please send me email via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com