Topics

spot collector was slowing down

k9us <k9us@...>

My spot collector over the past month was going slower and slower each
day. Until I could not use spot collector at all. I removed all other
program from my laptop but my task manager was showing spot collector
taking 90-95% of my CPU all the time. My computer was running so slow
it was useless. I finally turned off IRC in the spot collector config
and my pc is now running back to normal speed. Not sure what IRC was
doing to my PC, but it made all the difference in the world. Any ideas?
My pc is now running at it normal speed and spot collector is working
fine with IRC not selected.

Tim K9US

Dave AA6YQ

IRC uses a variant of the same Telnet protocol used by the DXClusters,
so its not obvious why it alone would cause you trouble, Tim. None of
the scenarios I can invent to explain this seem very likely, other than
that old chestnut "Windows is confused"...

How big is your spot database? Is SpotCollector configured to keep it
pruned?

--- In dxlab@yahoogroups.com, "k9us" <k9us@...> wrote:

My spot collector over the past month was going slower and slower
each
day. Until I could not use spot collector at all. I removed all other
program from my laptop but my task manager was showing spot collector
taking 90-95% of my CPU all the time. My computer was running so slow
it was useless. I finally turned off IRC in the spot collector config
and my pc is now running back to normal speed. Not sure what IRC was
doing to my PC, but it made all the difference in the world. Any
ideas?
My pc is now running at it normal speed and spot collector is working
fine with IRC not selected.

Tim K9US

Tim Miller <k9us@...>

Hi Dave

Here is my spot collector setup:

Prune DB on startup
Prune entires older than 1 day
Query op when dxkeeper log changes
Need filter unworked or unconfirmed
Spot update interval 1 min
Web server enabled
Max separation 1 min
Max freq separation 1khz
Max age 120
Make cumulative spot notes available is checked
Freq filter 10
Age 60

Here is my setup for IRC:
Host: irc.radiochat.org
Channel: CQDX
Caption: DX Summitt
Username: XXXX
First name: Tim
Robot: DDX

I have four dx clusters being watched and they seem to be working fine.
I do have a wireless network that I use with my laptop which is running my
DXlab programs.
I also have a high speed Internet connection via satellite.
I had IRC enable for over 6 months with no problems. It just been in the
past month that my PC has come to a halt.
Its so slow that you can do much of anything. Once I disabled IRC then
everything
Went back to normal speed. I don't think DX summitt is giving any new spots
that the other 4 dx cluster don't know about so
I can live without the IRC enabled. Just thought I might have something
setup wrong.
I am running Windows 2000 on an old laptop. It is a 500Mhz machine with 256
meg of ram.
Sure appreciate your time and support. I love DXlab and don't turn on my
radio without first startup DXlab.

Tim K9US

Dave AA6YQ

A "max separation in time" of one minute is going to result in multiple spot
database entries for the same DX station; I would set this to at least 15
minutes.

I typically run with a "max separation in frequency" of 2 khz, and a "max
age of valid incoming spots" of 60 minutes; neither of these has any impact
on performance.

The symptoms you describe are of an increasingly memory-bound processor. I
have run a few experiments here with IRC enabled and disabled, but have
observed no signicant difference in SpotCollector's memory utilization.
These weren't well-controlled, however, and there's the possibility that the
Windows TCP/IP stack consumes a lot more memory when running IRC -- which
wouldn't show up as SpotCollector's memory consumption.

[...]

Ed K0iL

Wow am I thankful I found this thread on SC.  You guys may have solved all 5 or 6 of my problems I was having.  Didn't know about the pruning thing, that file was humongous!  Under control now.

Thanks so much!!!!
--
73, de ed -K0iL
Omaha, NE

Wow am I thankful I found this thread on SC.  You guys may have solved all 5 or 6 of my problems I was having.  Didn't know about the pruning thing, that file was humongous!  Under control now.

Thanks so much!!!!

+ Take a look at this article:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeSCPerformance>