Topics

Spot Collector throws a nutty

Pete W1RM

Today when I started up my DXlab suite, spot collector starts and asks for my call.  I entered it then spot collector starts but I lost all my settings – my SQL settings didn’t load, my spot sources didn’t load.

I restored my SQL settings OK but where are the other startup settings stored?

Pete Chamalian, W1RM

W1rm@...

Today when I started up my DXlab suite, spot collector starts and asks for my call.  I entered it then spot collector starts but I lost all my settings – my SQL settings didn’t load, my spot sources didn’t load.

+ That means the section of the WIndows Registry in which SpotCollector stores its settings was corrupted.

I restored my SQL settings OK but where are the other startup settings stored?

+ All of SpotCollector's settings are stored in the Windows Registry. You can recover those settings by directing the Launcher to restore SpotCollector's settings from the Workspace you created to backup your settings, as described in the "

+ section of

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateUpdateWorkspace

+ I suggest that you examine your system's Windows Event Logs for recent hardware or software error reports.

Tom LeClerc

And the same thing happened to me on Thursday.  Luckily I had a pretty recent backup and got most of it back.  But I have installed nothing other than Windows upgrades - especially on my station computers...

Backup OFTEN!

73, Tom

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 2:12 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Today when I started up my DXlab suite, spot collector starts and asks for my call.  I entered it then spot collector starts but I lost all my settings – my SQL settings didn’t load, my spot sources didn’t load.

+ That means the section of the WIndows Registry in which SpotCollector stores its settings was corrupted.

I restored my SQL settings OK but where are the other startup settings stored?

+ All of SpotCollector's settings are stored in the Windows Registry. You can recover those settings by directing the Launcher to restore SpotCollector's settings from the Workspace you created to backup your settings, as described in the "

+ section of

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateUpdateWorkspace

+ I suggest that you examine your system's Windows Event Logs for recent hardware or software error reports.

Tom LeClerc, Amateur Radio Station W1TJL
 (past calls WB1CBY, /VE8,XL8,CI8,VO2)

               LeClerc Consulting
              email: w1tjl@...
            PC/Network Consulting

Pete W1RM

Fortunately, I have several work spaces so I was able to restore spot collector settings from one of them.  Whew.

Thanks Dave

[...]

+ Good!

+ Is there an errorlog.txt file in your SpotCollector folder? If so, please attach it to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

3a2mw Franco Lucioni

Spot Collector did the same to me yesterday and today.
The Error Log follows
73
Franco 3A2MW
2021-01-17 13:45:20 > SpotCollector version 8.8.0
2021-01-17 13:45:20 > App.Path : C:\DXLab\SpotCollector
2021-01-17 13:45:20 > App.exe : SpotCollector
2021-01-17 13:45:20 > Module : C:\DXLab\SpotCollector\SpotCollector.exe
2021-01-17 13:45:20 > Operating System : Windows 10 Home (64-bit) build 19042
2021-01-17 13:45:20 > Locale ID : 1036 (0x40C)
2021-01-17 13:45:20 > ANSI CodePage : 1252
2021-01-17 13:45:20 > OEM CodePage : 850
2021-01-17 13:45:20 > Country : France
2021-01-17 13:45:20 > Language : French
2021-01-17 13:45:20 > DecimalSeparator : .
2021-01-17 13:45:20 > ThousandSeparator :
2021-01-17 13:45:20 > DXLab Apps :
2021-01-17 14:43:33 > Monitors : 1
2021-01-17 14:43:33 > Monitor 1
2021-01-17 14:43:33 > width : 1536
2021-01-17 14:43:33 > height : 864
2021-01-17 14:43:33 > dimensions : (0, 0)-(1536, 864)
2021-01-17 14:43:33.835 > program error 3420 in module LogDatabaseModule.Terminate. State = 1: L'objet est incorrect ou n'est plus défini.
2021-01-17 14:43:33.851 > Common.Terminate: SpotCollector shutdown

2021-01-18 15:56:26 > SpotCollector version 8.8.0
2021-01-18 15:56:26 > App.Path : C:\DXLab\SpotCollector
2021-01-18 15:56:26 > App.exe : SpotCollector
2021-01-18 15:56:26 > Module : C:\DXLab\SpotCollector\SpotCollector.exe
2021-01-18 15:56:26 > Operating System : Windows 10 Home (64-bit) build 19042
2021-01-18 15:56:26 > Locale ID : 1036 (0x40C)
2021-01-18 15:56:26 > ANSI CodePage : 1252
2021-01-18 15:56:26 > OEM CodePage : 850
2021-01-18 15:56:26 > Country : France
2021-01-18 15:56:26 > Language : French
2021-01-18 15:56:26 > DecimalSeparator : .
2021-01-18 15:56:26 > ThousandSeparator :
2021-01-18 15:56:26 > DXLab Apps :
2021-01-18 16:39:49 > Monitors : 1
2021-01-18 16:39:49 > Monitor 1
2021-01-18 16:39:49 > width : 1536
2021-01-18 16:39:49 > height : 864
2021-01-18 16:39:49 > dimensions : (0, 0)-(1536, 864)
2021-01-18 16:39:49.543 > program error 3420 in module LogDatabaseModule.Terminate. State = 1: L'objet est incorrect ou n'est plus défini.
2021-01-18 16:39:49.559 > Common.Terminate: SpotCollector shutdown

Dave AA6YQ

Franco, in both cases, SpotCollector was in the process of terminating, was attempting to close its "view" of your log's DXCC progress table, and found that this view does not exist.

Please do the following:

1. On the Configuration window's General tab, check the "Log debugging info" box

2. Terminate SpotCollector

3. Start SpotCollector, and wait for it to fully initialize

4. Right-click an Entry in the Spot Database Display, and choose "Display Award Tracking for ..." from the pop-up menu

5. Terminate SpotCollector

6. Attach the errorlog.txt file from your SpotCollector folder to an email message, and send the email message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

7. Start SpotCollector

8. On the Configuration window's General tab, uncheck the "Log debugging info" box

9. Terminate SpotCollector

[...]
2021-01-17 14:43:33.835 > program error 3420 in module LogDatabaseModule.Terminate. State = 1: L'objet est incorrect ou n'est plus d�fini.
[...]

2021-01-18 16:39:49.543 > program error 3420 in module LogDatabaseModule.Terminate. State = 1: L'objet est incorrect ou n'est plus d�fini.
2021-01-18 16:39:49.559 > Common.Terminate: SpotCollector shutdown

https://www.avg.com

Matthias Zwoch

I could reproduce the loss of settings in the spot collector. When DXLab
with its applications including spotcollector is on and the computer is
shut down, the spotcollector will be terminated by W10 before the
settings are written to the registry and I saw either a partial or a
full loss of spotcollector settings.
If DXlab is terminated (no matter how it is done) before the shutdown
was requested no issues happened.

73 Matthias, DD7NT

I could reproduce the loss of settings in the spot collector. When DXLab with its applications including spotcollector is on and the computer is shut down, the spotcollector will be terminated by W10 before the settings are written to the registry and I saw either a partial or a full loss of spotcollector settings.

+ What's an example of a setting that is "lost"?

If DXlab is terminated (no matter how it is done) before the shutdown was requested no issues happened.

+ On startup, SpotCollector reads its settings from the Windows Registry; those settings remain unmodified in the Windows Registry.

+ When SpotCollector terminates "normally", it saves its settings to the Windows Registry. If SpotCollector were terminated by Windows (without a "normal" termination), then SpotCollector's settings in the Windows Registry would remain as they were when SpotCollector started up -- they would not be "lost" unless something intentionally cleared them.

Matthias Zwoch

Am 19.01.2021 um 10:12 schrieb Dave AA6YQ:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I could reproduce the loss of settings in the spot collector. When DXLab with its applications including spotcollector is on and the computer is shut down, the spotcollector will be terminated by W10 before the settings are written to the registry and I saw either a partial or a full loss of spotcollector settings.

+ What's an example of a setting that is "lost"?
Full loss: Spocollector asks for call and spot sources, queries etc.must
be restored
Partial loss: the queries were missed but spot sources are there. This
case I reproduced just now another time. Shut the computer down wile
spotcollector was still open. If you would like to see it, I did a
reg-export of the spotcollector tree. May restore the settings and
export again, so you can see them complete and the damaged status.

If DXlab is terminated (no matter how it is done) before the shutdown was requested no issues happened.

+ On startup, SpotCollector reads its settings from the Windows Registry; those settings remain unmodified in the Windows Registry.

+ When SpotCollector terminates "normally", it saves its settings to the Windows Registry. If SpotCollector were terminated by Windows (without a "normal" termination), then SpotCollector's settings in the Windows Registry would remain as they were when SpotCollector started up -- they would not be "lost" unless something intentionally cleared them.
OK but looks if W10 kills that while it "terminates normally" inmid of
saving settings. Assume that you renew the whole spotcollector registry
tree.

73 Matthias, DD7NT

I had a similar situation after a power  failure this week.  Spotcollector was running on my laptop when it finally lost battery power and shut down.  When I brought up the laptop when the power was restored and started Spotcollector, everything restored except the SQL Filter buttons.  I restored from the saved SQL Filter Buttons and all has been well since.

Bob AF9W

Dave AA6YQ

* More AA6YQ comments below

I could reproduce the loss of settings in the spot collector. When DXLab with its applications including spotcollector is on and the computer is shut down, the spotcollector will be terminated by W10 before the settings are written to the registry and I saw either a partial or a full loss of spotcollector settings.

+ What's an example of a setting that is "lost"?
Full loss: Spocollector asks for call and spot sources, queries etc.must be restored Partial loss: the queries were missed but spot sources are there. This case I reproduced just now another time. Shut the computer down wile spotcollector was still open. If you would like to see it, I did a reg-export of the spotcollector tree. May restore the settings and export again, so you can see them complete and the damaged status.

* On startup, SpotCollector only displays the small window asking for your callsign if the callsign stored in the Windows Registry is blank. There are only three ways this can happen:

1. you are running SpotCollector for the first time

2. you've cleared the "Operator Callsign" box in on the Configuration window's General tab, and then terminated SpotCollector

3. you've directed the Launcher to load a Workspace that was created when SpotCollector's "Operator Callsign" box has been cleared (or never set).

* If terminating SpotCollector "abnormally" -- preventing it from executing its shutdown code -- is causing the loss of settings in the Windows Registry, then unless one of the above 3 situations is in force, the fault lies in Windows. The Launcher's ability to save and restore application settings to a Workspace is your defense against this unfortunate possibility.

I had a similar situation after a power failure this week. Spotcollector was running on my laptop when it finally lost battery power and shut down. When I brought up the laptop when the power was restored and started Spotcollector, everything restored except the SQL Filter buttons. I restored from the saved SQL Filter Buttons and all has been well since.

+ Prior to SpotCollector version 8.8.0, SQL filters were not saved between sessions in the Windows Registry; they were saved to a designated file by clicking the Save button in the "SQL Filter" window. In SpotCollector 8.8.0, SQL filters are saved in the Windows Registry on termination, and restored from the Windows Registry on startup.

+ What version of SpotCollector are you running, Bob?

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 9:54 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

I had a similar situation after a power failure this week. Spotcollector was running on my laptop when it finally lost battery power and shut down. When I brought up the laptop when the power was restored and started Spotcollector, everything restored except the SQL Filter buttons. I restored from the saved SQL Filter Buttons and all has been well since.

+ Prior to SpotCollector version 8.8.0, SQL filters were not saved between sessions in the Windows Registry; they were saved to a designated file by clicking the Save button in the "SQL Filter" window. In SpotCollector 8.8.0, SQL filters are saved in the Windows Registry on termination, and restored from the Windows Registry on startup.
That doesn't sound right. I've never saved my SpotCollector SQL
filters to a file, and they were always retained (prior to 8.8.0).

I just dug up an old workspace created in September 2019, and the
SpotCollector registry file contains my SQL filters from back then.

73,

~iain / N6ML

[...]

+ Based on a defect report here, I changed SpotCollector 8.8.0 to save SQL Filters in the Registry. I'll check the source code from the fall of 2019 to see what it did.

3a2mw Franco Lucioni

To DD7NT:
What happened to W1RM and W1TJL, I think, has nothing to do with closing Windows, before closing the DXLab programs. I always close all the open DxLab programs via Launcher, before closing Windows.And, being in town, I never had a power failure in the last 25 years.

I've sent the ErrorLog to Dave, I hope he can help him.

Have a nice day !

73
Franco 3A2MW

To DD7NT:
What happened to W1RM and W1TJL, I think, has nothing to do with closing Windows, before closing the DXLab programs. I always close all the open DxLab programs via Launcher, before closing Windows. And, being in town, I never had a power failure in the last 25 years.

I've sent the ErrorLog to Dave, I hope he can help him.

+ Thanks for sending me your errorlog, Franco. It shows that SpotCollector first began reporting the error 7 months ago:

2020-06-09 20:17:40.236 > program error 3420 in module LogDatabaseModule.Terminate: L'objet est incorrect ou n'est plus défini.

+ and has been occasionally reporting it ever since then. There are other error reports, all the result of the Jet database engine suddenly reporting that it cannot access information in your Spot Database, e.g.

2020-06-13 11:58:10.757 > program error 0 in module SpotDatabaseModule.DequeueSpot terminating: can't reference SpotRecordset.RecordCount 3420, PruneInProgress = False:

+ DXKeeper also employs the Jet database engine. Is there an errorlog.txt file in your DXKeeper folder? If so, please send it my way.

Matthias Zwoch

Am 20.01.2021 um 08:55 schrieb 3a2mw Franco Lucioni:
To DD7NT:
What happened to W1RM and W1TJL, I think, has nothing to do with closing Windows, before closing the DXLab programs. I always close all the open DxLab programs via Launcher, before closing Windows.And, being in town, I never had a power failure in the last 25 years.
Yes, if I close DXLab via Launcher before I close W10 all will go right.
But if I forget to close via Launcher one day late evening...
W10 when closing, will send a "close message" to the laucher and to all
other applications. I have checked "terminate on shutdown" so the
Laucher will start then with a regular stop of all open DXLabs
components. The Spotcollector is for me the last one in this row which
is to be closed. I assume that Spotcollector does not finish regularly
in this constellation although W10 should wait until it has finished.

73 Matthias, DD7NT

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 10:45 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

I saw that in the release notes, and I was slightly puzzled by it at
the time, but I let it go.

This is the problem that W5GP had described:

"In testing user switching I've discovered another problem concerning
SQL Filters in DXKeeper. If User 1 has, for example, a SQL Filter 11
but User 2 has NEVER had a Filter 11, then User 2 will inherit the
Filter 11 from User 1 after a user switch. The reason I say 'NEVER'
is because if User 2 blanks out the inherited Filter 11 from User 1
AND resaves his workspace, the problem doesn't reoccur. It appears
that when saving a workspace, the Launcher does not save a "blank"
filter to the workspace UNLESS that filter has been manually spaced
out."

SQL filters definitely were stored in the registry prior to 8.8.0. My
assumption was that you had made some tweak to the circumstances under
which the registry gets updated (on shutdown as well as immediately
after making a change, perhaps?)

73,

~iain / N6ML

W5ADD@arrl.net

I had this problem a couple of days ago.

At some point during the last month, Spotcollector SQL filters started being saved with "<CRLF>" inserted in a previously pure text file format. Restoring this corrupted the second and following SQL filters.

I opened Windows Firewall -> Allowed Programs and found multiple lines for "SpotCollector". I deleted all of the SpotCollector references and then allowed SpotCollector to communicate through both Private and Public firewalls.

That solved the problem for me.

Parker W5ADD