Spot Collector Sluggish and slowing everything down

Saad Mahaini

Hello

Once i start Spot Collector, seems like everything slows down considerable and response time on other modules i.e. logging, etc. become noticeably sluggish, unresponsive in some cases

The worst response is when i try to do anything on teh spot Collector window.  For example clicking on a spot sometimes take many clicks /tries for it to respond.

Checking Windows task Manager shows Spot Collector continuously hogging anywhere from 25 % to 30 % of the CPU usage.

I limited the Spot collector spot sources to only one source (N6WS), that did not make a difference

I ran the PC in safe mode an that did not make a difference either

I disabled the protection (Defender and virus scans, etc) , with no difference

I'm not sure what to try next.

I guess the question is if its normal for SC to utilize this much CPU, and if so, why does it bring things to halt even at 30% CPU usage.   Even with everything running including SC, the total CPU usage is in the 50ish % range , is that too much?

73 Saad N5FF

rcktscientist64

Try this and see if it helps.

On Mar 28, 2021, at 1:11 PM, Saad Mahaini via groups.io <n5ff@...> wrote:

[...]

w6de

This article in the DXLab WIKI outlines several things you can do to improve SpotCollector performance.

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeSCPerformance

You might start at limiting the size of the database file by Pruning the database more frequently.

73,

Dave, w6de

[...]

+ CPU usage is only one of several factors that can slow system performance. See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeSCPerformance

Saad Mahaini

Dave,

Just to circle back on this issue with some feedback

Everything got to the point of being so sluggish, almost non responsive and unusable.  During a contest with spots pouring in so fast, it was practically almost frozen.

I tried about everything recommend in the document., short of adding more memory and dedicating CPUs, the only thing that made HUGE difference is  "Size control" in the SC Config / Spot database.  I "cleared" it and also changed "Brune entries to  older than 1 day", also checked "clear data base on startup".

This made a night and day difference, and everything was responded instantly.

I will still explore the memory upgrade and CPU  allocation when i get to it, but for now this certainly made a huge difference

73 Saad N5FF

On Sunday, March 28, 2021, 02:27:02 PM CDT, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ Managing a large database requires available RAM. Instead of enabling "clear data base on startup", I suggest that you enable "Prune Spot Database hourly".

+ When seeking to understand the operating pattern of a particular station, add its callsign to SpotCollector's Special Callsign List with a NOPRUNE tag.