Topics

SPOT COLLECTOR SLOW TO START

Steve

Here's the sequence of events...

Click on Launcher icon on desktop
All except SC start quickly
Message box... "SC failed to start after 180 seconds"
Click OK
Opened Launchers window and SC button is red
Clicked on the SC box under the red button
Message indicates that SC is already running
Clicked OK in the message box and the SC button on Launcher window turned green
No sign of SC on the desktop, task bar or task manager
After a few minutes of head banging, SC finally appeared on desktop.

Now all modules function as they should.  Clicking on a spot callsign causes the radio to QSY and PF to show QRZ page.  Radio freq tracking win Commander freq.

Computer is new to me.  Wiped HD, new Win10 from MS, i7, 16GB.  Strictly a Ham computer, no junk software.

Any help in solving the slow start would be appreciated.

Best 73 and Aloha ....  Steve KH6CT

Here's the sequence of events...

Click on Launcher icon on desktop
All except SC start quickly
Message box... "SC failed to start after 180 seconds"
Click OK
Opened Launchers window and SC button is red Clicked on the SC box under the red button Message indicates that SC is already running Clicked OK in the message box and the SC button on Launcher window turned green No sign of SC on the desktop, task bar or task manager After a few minutes of head banging, SC finally appeared on desktop.

Now all modules function as they should. Clicking on a spot callsign causes the radio to QSY and PF to show QRZ page. Radio freq tracking win Commander freq.

Computer is new to me. Wiped HD, new Win10 from MS, i7, 16GB. Strictly a Ham computer, no junk software.

Any help in solving the slow start would be appreciated.

+ Is this new behavior, or has this always been the case?

+ If it's new behavior, when did it first appear, and what changes did you make to your hardware or software around that time?

Steve

Hi Dave and thanks for the quick response.
It's new behavior which started when I installed a new computer in the shack.  It's a clean Dell computer with just Win4Yaesu, DXLabs OmniRig, SDR Console V3 and some other stuff (backup, antivirus, etc.) installed.  When installing your programs, followed carefully all the direction in the "Relocating to new Computer Wiki".  Made sure all DXL programs were allowed through the firewall, and turned off my AV program.  No other software (except Windows system stuff) was running for the timeperiod of the test outlined above.  Commander is connected directly to the enhanced port provided by the Yaesu FTdx3000.

Another program, SDR Console V3, is giving me problems also and may be related.  When I start that program, the GUI appears instantly, but no spectrum or waterfall appears.  I do see a message box....  SERVER BUSY.  Then I have to wait 63 seconds before I can see the spectrum and waterfall.

When booting up, the computer starts quickly with no issues, so I'm thinking it may not be a computer issue.  Situation is all very disturbing as I thought a newer box with more ram and a better CPU would be better.

Thanks again...  Steve KH6CT

[...]

+ As a first diagnostic step, please do the following:

1. boot windows into "Safe mode with networking"

2. start the Launcher

3. direct the Launcher to start SpotCollector

+ What happens?

Steve

Started in safe with networking, but networking was unable to connect.  Couldn't run the network troubleshooting program.  It wanted me to reboot to normal to start networking.
After all that, Spot Collector started within about two to five seconds of clicking on the Launcher.  But of course there were no connections to the spot sources.

Steve KH6CT

Started in safe with networking, but networking was unable to connect. Couldn't run the network troubleshooting program. It wanted me to reboot to normal to start networking.
After all that, Spot Collector started within about two to five seconds of clicking on the Launcher. But of course there were no connections to the spot sources.

+ If SpotCollector started within 2-5 seconds of your directing the Launcher to start it, then the problem when you boot Windows normally is that some application being automatically started in that configuration is interfering. Most likely, it's an anti-malware application or firewall not properly configured to consider your DXLab applications to be "safe".

+ See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference>

Steve

Update....
Made exclusions in Bitdefender for all DXL programs, allowed all through firewall and followed guidance in "ApplicationInterferrence", but no luck with geting SC to start normally.
Tried a different method of troubleshooting:
Reinstalled Windows; Updated everything Windows offered, now running current, up to date OS
Installed DXL, allowing firewall exceptions requested by the installation, and copying files from old DXL.
Started DXL and it worked perfectly, no delays on any module.
Installed BitDefender and ensured exception was made for DXL.
Started DXL and everything but SC worked just fine...  Message that SC failed to start within 180 seconds.
Uninstalled Bitdefender and DXL again worked perfectly.
Installed AVAST AV and had same results as with Bitdefender.
Uninstalled AVAST  and again DXL works perfectly.
Win4Yaesu, DXLab and SDR Console V3 are all working nicely and communicating with each other !!!  I'm HAPPY !!

However, now running with just the AV provided with Win10....   Am I safe enough with just the Win10 AV, or do I need something better ??

73, Steve KH6CT

Gilbert Baron W0MN

Save your time and money. The only other thing you need is a backup strategy if you do not have one.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

[...]

+ My recollection is that several users have reported successfully configuring Bitdefender to not interfere with their DXLab applications. My advice is to contact Microsoft for help with configuring it.