Topics

Spot Collector & My Call

segwin

Hello All,

Been out of radio for a while but retired now and getting back into it.

I'm running WSJT-X, JTAlert and Spot Collector. Looking at the FT8 mode in Spot Collector all I see is my call for the source - no other calls. Am I spamming Spot Collector? I'm not quite sure how I'm placing these as well.

Feel like such a noob.

Thanks

K8TJM / Terry

Been out of radio for a while but retired now and getting back into it.

+ Welcome back, Terry!

I'm running WSJT-X, JTAlert and Spot Collector. Looking at the FT8 mode in Spot Collector all I see is my call for the source - no other calls. Am I spamming Spot Collector? I'm not quite sure how I'm placing these as well.

+ You have JT-Alert configured to "Post decoded Callsigns to SpotCollector as local spots". SpotCollector creates spot database entries for these stations, and color-codes the entries to reflect "need" for the awards you are pursuing; needed stations will be announced by "Joe DX" if SpotCollector is appropriately configured.

+ Viewing the locations of the stations you're decoding on DXView's world map provides a nice realtime indication of propagation on the band you're monitoring; in the DX section of the Plot panel at the bottom of DXView's world map window,

1. select Spots

2. check the QSOs box

3. check the My box

+ Its step 3 that limits the display to stations that you've spotted.; uncheck it to see the locations of active stations from all spot sources.

segwin

Hello Dave - thanks for the welcome back (and it's good to be back)!

Thanks for the detailed reply Dave - appreciate it.

When I see nothing but my call in FT-8 do others see that as well??

With Covid around it's a great time to be in the shack. Hams invented social distancing :)

Thanks again.

Terry / K8TJM

When I see nothing but my call in FT-8 do others see that as well??

+ I don't understand what you mean by " When I see nothing but my call in FT-8"; please elaborate.

segwin

Edited

Tried pasting a pic but it didn't take.

In the column that has the title "Source" it's just my call there for every entry.

Thanks Dave

Tried pasting a pic but it didn't take.

+ Attachments are not conveyed in this group.

In the column that has the title "Source" it's just my call there.

+ That means you are the most recent station to have reported the active station in FT8 near the entry's frequency.

+ JTAlert is sending "local spots" to SpotCollector, which means that a Spot Database Entry for the reported station is being created or updated, but nothing is being sent to the cluster network for other ops to see. If you want to cluster network users, you must direct SpotCollector to generate an outgoing spot via the "Outgoing spot" panel at the top of SpotCollector's Main window.

segwin

Thanks very much Dave. Appreciate the help.

73 & Peace