Topics

Spot Collector and CPU

Dwight Bosselman

Wondering why Spot Collector is so CPU hungry? I run 4 clusters with-in it. This morning it was running up to 35% cpu utilization as indicated in taskmanger.

I have an I5-2400@3.1GHZ with 16gb of Ram.

73 Dwight NS9I

Inbody, Don

I have discovered the same. During contests I usually open only one or none. Otherwise it drags things down.

Don

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020, 08:45 Dwight Bosselman <NS9I@...> wrote:
Wondering why Spot Collector is so CPU hungry? I run 4 clusters with-in
it. This morning it was running up to 35% cpu utilization as indicated
in taskmanger.

I have an I5-2400@3.1GHZ with 16gb of Ram.

73 Dwight NS9I

DAVID BERNHEISEL

Howdy,

As a start, check on the SC configuration page on the General tab.  In the center of the page, in the Propagation Prediction block.

Enable SNR & Probability prediction.  If you have enabled this, then checking for all stations will use more CPU than For Needed stations.  The calculations can be CPU intensive.

Dave, N2DPF

On 1/7/2020 08:35, Inbody, Don wrote:
I have discovered the same. During contests I usually open only one or none. Otherwise it drags things down.

Don

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020, 08:45 Dwight Bosselman <NS9I@...> wrote:
Wondering why Spot Collector is so CPU hungry? I run 4 clusters with-in
it. This morning it was running up to 35% cpu utilization as indicated
in taskmanger.

I have an I5-2400@3.1GHZ with 16gb of Ram.

73 Dwight NS9I

wb6bee

That's interesting Dave.

I don't know if it makes a difference for sure.   I limit my spot data base sources to a couple.   I filter the origins to what I can hear.   Makes no difference what is going on in Europe to me, if I can't hear it, doesn't matter.   I also limit the timelife of spots to something really short.   During a contest, I remove spot sources and, clear the data base routinely.    Spot collector is always in the two one or two uses of the CPU.

Don
WB6BEE

Dave AA6YQ

Wondering why Spot Collector is so CPU hungry? I run 4 clusters with-in it. This morning it was running up to 35% cpu utilization as indicated in taskmanger.

I have an I5-2400@3.1GHZ with 16gb of Ram.

+ Step-by-step instructions for optimizing SpotCollector's performance are here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeSCPerformance>

+ Step-by-step instructions for optimizing Windows 10 for SpotCollector are here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeWindows10ForSpotCollector>

I have discovered the same. During contests I usually open only one or none. Otherwise it drags things down.

+ Step-by-step instructions for optimizing SpotCollector's performance are here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeSCPerformance>

+ Step-by-step instructions for optimizing Windows 10 for SpotCollector are here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeWindows10ForSpotCollector>

I don't know if it makes a difference for sure. I limit my spot data base sources to a couple. I filter the origins to what I can hear. Makes no difference what is going on in Europe to me, if I can't hear it, doesn't matter.

+ The fact that a needed DX station was first spotted from Europe doesn't mean you can't hear it and work it. The better way to hide Spot Database Entries for stations you likely can't hear is to assess propagation; see

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/HidingDXYouCantHear>

Jim McPhee

Dave,

That is a neat feature that I had no idea existed. Thanks for pointing it out!
--
Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM