Spot collector and bandwidth RTTY click on frequency

Ron T

I'm sure I've seen this topic before but didn't see a resolution to the question in the replies...

Using AFSK set to LSB with a 7300 and would like to click on the bandwidth or spot collector and have it come up with the freq I want instead of
compensating by dropping down about 2 kcs to actually find that station in the waterfall. .  I think there is a setting that compensates for
this but not sure which one it is n the configuration. Simply put, I want to click on the station in the bandwidth window (or spot collector) and find it there on the waterfall as well as xmit
for the qso.

Joe Subich, W4TV

Settings are "Mark Offset" and "Optimal Offset" in Winwarbler ->
Config -> RTTY.

Typically, if one is using "High tones" (2125 Mark, 2295 Space),
Optimal Offset would be 2210 ((Mark+Space)/2) and Mark Offset
would be *-*2125 (don't forget the - for LSB).

On 2021-02-15 11:50 AM, Ron T via groups.io wrote:
I'm sure I've seen this topic before but didn't see a resolution to the question in the replies...
Using AFSK set to LSB with a 7300 and would like to click on the bandwidth or spot collector and have it come up with the freq I want instead of
compensating by dropping down about 2 kcs to actually find that station in the waterfall. .  I think there is a setting that compensates for
this but not sure which one it is n the configuration. Simply put, I want to click on the station in the bandwidth window (or spot collector) and find it there on the waterfall as well as xmit
for the qso.

Ron T

Edited

Tnx Joe....I'll give that a try. Did some of the rtty contest over the weekend and it would have been slick to just click on the bandwidth window at the spots shown there and be on the station rather than trying to guess where that station would be by sliding the freq down some. I think the optimal setting for AFSK is set by default to 2210 and the mark offset at 0. I should set the mark offest at 2125 and -LSB? I will give a try to this and see if it works as I expect. Tnx...73

iain macdonnell - N6ML

Hi Ron,

I think you mean the *bandspread* window?

It should be noted that click-to-QSY for RTTY spots is dependent on
the spotting station getting it right too. The convention amongst
"real RTTY ops" is to spot the mark frequency, but some "amateurs"
will spot their VFO frequency instead, so the spot will be off by the
amount of *their* tone offset (which you have no way of knowing).
Configured with the offsets for your setup, it should work at least
some (maybe most?) of the time, but not always.

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 11:24 AM Ron T via groups.io
<flamateurradio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Tnx Joe....I'll give that a try. Did some of the rtty contest over the weekend and it would have been slick to just click on the bandwidth window at the spots shown there and be on the station rather than trying to guess where that station would be by sliding the freq down some. I think the optimal setting for AFSK is set by default to 2210 and the mark offset at 0. I should set the mark offest at 2125 and -LSB? I will give a try to this and see if it works as I expect. Tnx...73

Joe Subich, W4TV

Set the mark offset to -2125, select AFSK LSB and set Xcvr Mode to
DATA_L.

On 2021-02-15 2:15 PM, Ron T via groups.io wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]
Tnx Joe....I'll give that a try. Did some of the rtty contest over the weekend and it would have been slick to just click on the bandwidth window at the spots shown there and be on the station rather than trying to guess where that station would be by sliding the freq down some. I think the optimal setting for AFSK is set by default to 2210 and the mark offset at 0. I should set the mark offest at 2210 and -LSB?

Ron T

N6ML....
you are correct....seems to depend a lot on listener who becomes the spotter....and I do mean bandspread window...mistaken to call it the bandwidth window since there isn't one of those. Tnx...just need some rtty signals now to play around with.

Ron T

So the Data_L needs to be included with the -2125 offset.

Ron T

DOn't see any "-" for LSB setting. Use the DATA_L instead?

Joe Subich, W4TV

NO - click the LSB radio button in the AFSK section of the "Modulation
and Transceiver mode" pane in WinWarbler's Config -> RTTY tab. Enter
DATA_L in the "Xcvr Mode" dropdown and enter the Mark Offset as "-2125".

On 2021-02-15 3:25 PM, Ron T via groups.io wrote:
DOn't see any "-" for LSB setting. Use the DATA_L instead?

Ron T

Of course....that's it...thanks. It's been so long since I had to set anything up for DXLab that I forgot the setting panels. Thanks....now I need some rtty and we'll see. Again, thanks your time...73
Ron

Tnx Joe....I'll give that a try. Did some of the rtty contest over the weekend and it would have been slick to just click on the bandwidth window at the spots shown there and be on the station rather than trying to guess where that station would be by sliding

+ The necessary settings have been documented here for more than a decade:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ConfigureRTTY

Ron T

While the documented setup information was helpful initially, the specifics of the mark offset in relation to the bandspread window was never addressed outside a few questions like mine where the issue never seemed to be resolved, hence my inquiry. Thanks to all who kindly offered up their suggestions and gave their time. Hopefully, this thread may now help others with the same question.

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ commentsb elow:
While the documented setup information was helpful initially, the specifics of the mark offset in relation to the bandspread window was never addressed outside a few questions like mine where the issue never seemed to be resolved, hence my inquiry. Thanks to all who kindly offered up their suggestions and gave their time. Hopefully, this thread may now help others with the same question.

+ Thanks, Ron. I added step 6 in the Configuration section of "Using the Bandspread Window to Change Frequency and Display Active DX Stations" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ChangingFrequencyBandspread

Ron T

Edited

Dave....great to hear. This has always been a question I had. CW works without any extra setup...just click on SC or the bandspread window and you're there...rtty was always off about 2 kcs....depending on the spot freq. Maybe with FSK, it was closer...I always used AFSK. This should get it close.
You have an awesome piece of software and the constant updates must be a labor of love. It's much appreciated by the ham community around the world.
73 Ron