Topics

Speeding Up DXLabs Launch and Spot Collector

w4axmack

I'm a long time user of the DXLabs suite. However, when I launch DXLabs from the Launcher it take all the programs several minutes to load. During the recent CW contest SpotCollector was unuseable with the high spot volume. I'm using an i7 processor with 12 cores Win 10 Pro (all updates), 64 GB of RAM, fasted SSDs, fasted Nvidia video cards. (basically a high end gaming machine).

Per Dave's suggestions I have tried the following:
1. Boot Win 10 into Safe Mode with Networking (DXLabs loads and SpotCollector functions LIGHTENING fast). The programs load in about 15 seconds.
2. I've followed Dave's SpotCollector suggestions and limited the spot duration, load a fresh database with each launch, assigning high priority, dedicate a core of the i7 to that process. No joy.

I using the standard Microsoft Windows Defender anti-virus and firewall.

My questions are:
Dave usually suggests the culprit is the AV software.
Does anyone have any suggestions I haven't tried or can you tell me the AV software you are using that performs with DXLabs and doesn't cause a slow down?
Other suggestions?

73,

Mack

W4AX

I'm a long time user of the DXLabs suite. However, when I launch DXLabs from the Launcher it take all the programs several minutes to load. During the recent CW contest SpotCollector was unuseable with the high spot volume. I'm using an i7 processor with 12 cores Win 10 Pro (all updates), 64 GB of RAM, fasted SSDs, fasted Nvidia video cards. (basically a high end gaming machine).

Per Dave's suggestions I have tried the following:

1. Boot Win 10 into Safe Mode with Networking (DXLabs loads and SpotCollector functions LIGHTENING fast). The programs load in about 15 seconds.

+ That's proof that your "slow startup" problem is the result of an interfering application, typically a misconfigured firewall or anti-malware

2. I've followed Dave's SpotCollector suggestions and limited the spot duration, load a fresh database with each launch, assigning high priority, dedicate a core of the i7 to that process. No joy.

I using the standard Microsoft Windows Defender anti-virus and firewall.

My questions are:
Dave usually suggests the culprit is the AV software.
Does anyone have any suggestions I haven't tried or can you tell me the AV software you are using that performs with DXLabs and doesn't cause a slow down?
Other suggestions?

+ With the exception of Norton products, interference from firewalls and anti-malware can be eliminated with proper configuration. Such applications generally provide a way to indicate that an application is "safe".

Jim Wysocki

I'm using Zone Alarm Extreme Security as my firewall and antivirus product.  It has never interfered with the DXLab suite.  Startup time with Launcher and DXKeeper takes between 45 seconds and a minute for both to complete.  I have over 13,000 QSOs in my log.

Jim  W9FI

On 6/15/2019 8:39 AM, w4axmack wrote:

[...]

+ If you temporarily reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking", what is the startup time for DXKeeper?

K9MK

Have you tried turning off (disabling) Intel's speed stepping?

I found about a 4X speed improvement when I disabled mine and simply let the i7 run full throttle.

This is usually a selectable bios setting.

Mike K9MK

[...]

Michael Adams

I run the stock antivirus/firewall built into Windows, usually without issue. (It can sometimes be a little slow to realize I want to work, and therefore it should pause a system scan.)

There are at least two culprits that slow down DXLab on my machines.

The one I've identified is Logitech's keyboard/mouse utilities. The DXLabs documentation specifically mentions SetPoint, but I have noticed that LCore.exe, which is used with some of their gaming keyboards, also creates issues. Those utilities can add 15 minutes to DXLab's start time even on my new PC. (Workaround: kill the Logitech utilities; start DXLab; restart the Logitech utilities when DXLab programs are fully up.)

There is something else on my machine that interferes with DXLabs startup and initiating DDE, after my PC has been up for several hours.  I suspect a memory/resource leak from the Logitech utilities or maybe Citrix receiver...but I haven't fully tracked down the culprit(s).

(Yes, I have DXLab whitelisted from Windows Defender.)

Michael Adams | mda@...

w4axmack

I wanted to post how I substantially sped up my DXLabs performance. I can't say for sure which items made the most improvement so I'm posting them all here.

1. I added all DXLabs apps to the virus and firewall exception rules (Win 10 Defender)
2. I disabled all Logitech apps.
3. In the motherboard bios I set the performance to maximum.
4. In Win 10 I change all power settings to 100% CPU speed and disabled all power saving features on the SSD drives, USB, etc.

My total load time for seven DXLabs apps is now 57 seconds. Very reasonable. I won't know the full impact until we have a CW contest where I can see if SpotCollector chokes.

Thanks to Dave and others for your suggestions. Let's keep the ideas coming since so many people seem to have this issues(s).

73,

Mack
W4AX

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 03:08 PM, w4axmack wrote:

I wanted to post how I substantially sped up my DXLabs performance. I can't say for sure which items made the most improvement so I'm posting them all here.

1. I added all DXLabs apps to the virus and firewall exception rules (Win 10 Defender)
2. I disabled all Logitech apps.
3. In the motherboard bios I set the performance to maximum.
4. In Win 10 I change all power settings to 100% CPU speed and disabled all power saving features on the SSD drives, USB, etc.

My total load time for seven DXLabs apps is now 57 seconds. Very reasonable. I won't know the full impact until we have a CW contest where I can see if SpotCollector chokes.

+ Thanks, Mack!

+ Instructions for optimizing SpotCollector's performance are here:|

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeSCPerformance>

Steve

Using BitDefender here and have never had a problem.  It's free and it works.  Realtime protection, daily DB updates and a complete system scan.
Steve KH6CT

Jim Wysocki

Well, rebooting Win10-64bit into "safe mode with networking" was the start of today's adventure. The computer first came up in safe mode with a completely black (i.e., blank) screen.  After an hour's research on another machine I was able to force Windows into refreshing the monitor driver and restore the picture.  But Windows Safe Mode w/networking wouldn't turn on the Linksys USB wifi module, so when the Launcher came up it couldn't find the Internet. Instead I turned my attention to the effects of the peripherals on the Launcher and DXKeeper.

Some progress was made: it seems that the Logitech USB wireless mouse software does slow down the Launcher a bit.  Without the Logitech receiver plugged in, the Launcher and DXKeeper loads about twice as fast as before.  (I'm just beginning to learn how to use DXView so that module was kept out of the testing activities.  Commander and the transceiver work fine together regardless of whatever is attached to the computer, so there was no need to spend much time with them.  The other modules are on the "learn to use them" list, so they weren't included either.)

I'm not particularly bothered by some slower performance at first startup with the Logitech module plugged in, since once everything is going the other internet-based functions (LotW, eQSL, and ClubLog  updates, etc.) are still pretty zippy.

Overall computer performance now is a little better as well, as some of the changes to the startup sequence that were put there by successive waves of Windows updates were changed back to their desired configurations.  Now it's time to reattach the radio, the rotor, the printer, etc. and get back to hunting DX.

Dave, thanks for your interest in making things better.  In this case even though the testing followed a different route it still resulted in a better overall system's performance.

73,  Jim  W9FI

On 6/15/2019 9:08 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I'm using Zone Alarm Extreme Security as my firewall and antivirus product. It has never interfered with the DXLab suite. Startup time with Launcher and DXKeeper takes between 45 seconds and a minute for both to complete. I have over 13,000 QSOs in my log.

+ If you temporarily reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking", what is the startup time for DXKeeper?

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 16/06/2019 1:46 am, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
With the exception of Norton products, interference from firewalls and anti-malware can be eliminated with proper configuration. Such applications generally provide a way to indicate that an application is "safe".
My 2cents, also consider excluding the DXKeeper & SpotCollector databases (directories and files) from AV real-time scanning. These database files get hit with lots of reads/writes and some AV software depending on their configuration will intercept each disk R/W operation and perform a scan/analysis.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Dave AA6YQ

* more AA6YQ comments below

+ With the exception of Norton products, interference from firewalls and anti-malware can be eliminated with proper configuration.
Such applications generally provide a way to indicate that an application is "safe".

My 2cents, also consider excluding the DXKeeper & SpotCollector databases (directories and files) from AV real-time scanning. These
database files get hit with lots of reads/writes and some AV software depending on their configuration will intercept each disk R/W
operation and perform a scan/analysis.

* Good point, Laurie!

John Hudson

I just read this section about optimizing SC performance, and WOW!!

+ Instructions for optimizing SpotCollector's performance are here:|

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeSCPerformance>

I’m running a WIN7 i3 with 4gb ram. Almost every time I started DXL  SC would timeout after 180 seconds. I did this optimizing and suggestions and now all the modules including WW load up in less than 60 seconds. THANKS

John

KO4XJ

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 03:08 PM, w4axmack wrote:

I wanted to post how I substantially sped up my DXLabs performance. I can't say for sure which items made the most improvement so I'm posting them all here.

1. I added all DXLabs apps to the virus and firewall exception rules (Win 10 Defender)

2. I disabled all Logitech apps.

3. In the motherboard bios I set the performance to maximum.

4. In Win 10 I change all power settings to 100% CPU speed and disabled all power saving features on the SSD drives, USB, etc.

My total load time for seven DXLabs apps is now 57 seconds. Very reasonable. I won't know the full impact until we have a CW contest where I can see if SpotCollector chokes.

+ Thanks, Mack!

+ Instructions for optimizing SpotCollector's performance are here:|

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeSCPerformance>

Bernd - KB7AK

Hi Mack,

Can you add a short blurb as to how you add DXLabs apps to firewall exception rules. And, also, how did you disable Logitech apps?

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 12:05 PM, Bernd - KB7AK wrote:

Can you add a short blurb as to how you add DXLabs apps to firewall exception rules

+ I refrain from offering configuration advice for firewall and anti-malware applications here, and suggest that everyone follow this practice. Such applications do not only affect DXLab applications, they affect all applications and data on a user's computer. If someone modifies their firewall settings based on advice given here and has their bank account emptied the next morning, things could get very ugly very fast.

+ Every reputable firewall and anti-malware provider has a Technical Support operation that one can call or email for assistance with configuration. That's the appropriate place to seek help.

Gilbert Baron W0MN

Starting the complete suite has never been an instantaneous operation. On the other hand it has not changed much as my computer has been improved. It takes 75 seconds to open ALL of the applications with the last 15 being WW. I do not consider it a problem. They all seem very responsive once they are open an running.

My PC is 12Gig i7 Spinning drive and 2 monitors. The interface is via USB to a TS590SG and I use a Winkey. I am currently on W10 1903 and use the built in security and nothing else, There is a lot of code to load here and start up. I imagine if I switched to an SSD I could probably cut the time in half but do not consider 35 seconds worth the cost and the loss of storage from 2 terabytes to probably 500 Gigs.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

44.08226N 92.51265 W en34rb

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 12:05 PM, Bernd - KB7AK wrote:

Can you add a short blurb as to how you add DXLabs apps to firewall exception rules

+ I refrain from offering configuration advice for firewall and anti-malware applications here, and suggest that everyone follow this practice. Such applications do not only affect DXLab applications, they affect all applications and data on a user's computer. If someone modifies their firewall settings based on advice given here and has their bank account emptied the next morning, things could get very ugly very fast.

+ Every reputable firewall and anti-malware provider has a Technical Support operation that one can call or email for assistance with configuration. That's the appropriate place to seek help.

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

w3qt_mike

Dave,

Spot on and clearly stated.  Things do have a way of spinning out of control and "could get very ugly very fast."  Not only could they, but they do quite frequently when money is involved and even in the "closest" of families.  I have no issue with KB7AK asking the question but applaud your response, especially as it applies to "reputable" providers.  A natural question ... an even more sensible response ... and you continue to hit the mark with your support.

73,
Mike, W3QT

On 6/16/2019 03:48 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 12:05 PM, Bernd - KB7AK wrote:

Can you add a short blurb as to how you add DXLabs apps to firewall exception rules

+ I refrain from offering configuration advice for firewall and anti-malware applications here, and suggest that everyone follow this practice. Such applications do not only affect DXLab applications, they affect all applications and data on a user's computer. If someone modifies their firewall settings based on advice given here and has their bank account emptied the next morning, things could get very ugly very fast.

+ Every reputable firewall and anti-malware provider has a Technical Support operation that one can call or email for assistance with configuration. That's the appropriate place to seek help.

Email Service

So it takes a few seconds for DXKEEPER to launch!
Once it is running it does so fast with 50,000 QSO’s in my log.
It takes my amp 3 minutes to warm up!
DXKEEPER is up and running long b4 that.
Jack AK7O

Sent from XFINITY Connect App