special characters

Jeff Tostenrude K5UHF

I am using Gridtracker to log to DXKeeper, LoTW and QRZ and have found that when I complete a QSO with someone that has a special character in their name (e.g. umlaut) that it will upload to LoTW and QRZ just fine, but I receive an error from DXKeeper saying that it could not be logged. When I attempt to download these QSOs from LoTW to DXKeeper, any that have special characters are skipped.

Surely, others must have seen this issue before. I searched the group and found some discussions on special characters, but could not find a resolution to my issue.

73,
Jeff

I am using Gridtracker to log to DXKeeper, LoTW and QRZ and have found that when I complete a QSO with someone that has a special character in their name (e.g. umlaut) that it will upload to LoTW and QRZ just fine, but I receive an error from DXKeeper saying that it could not be logged.

+ DXKeeper does not upload the contents of a QSO's NAME item to LoTW or LoTW. What is the exact text of the error message that DXKeeper displays? Is there an errorlog.txt file in your DXKeeper folder?

When I attempt to download these QSOs from LoTW to DXKeeper, any that have special characters are skipped.

+ When directed to report accepted or confirmed QSOs by DXKeeper's "Sync" operations, LoTW does not report any NAME items.

+ The ADIF protocol used to submit logged QSOs to LoTW and report the status of QSOs in LoTW is limited to ASCII characters.

Surely, others must have seen this issue before.

+ No one has reported this issue here during the past 20+ years.

Jeff Tostenrude K5UHF

Sounds like there is something else going on then. Odd that it coincides with these characters. I will send a screenshot and my error log.

73,
Jeff

Sounds like there is something else going on then. Odd that it coincides with these characters. I will send a screenshot and my error log

+ Please attach those to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Jeff Tostenrude K5UHF

Ok, just sent it.

I am using Gridtracker to send the logs to DXKeeper

+ Thanks for the errorlog you sent me. It shows that when a "Log QSO" directive conveying an ADIF record that contains one or more "special characters" is received from GridTracker, the directive incorrectly specifies the total number characters in the ADIF record. As a result, the required <EOR> tag at the end of the ADIF record is truncated, causing DXKeeper to reject the directive.

+ I am copying a Jonathan KF5QHQ, a member of the GridTracker team, so that he can convey this defect report.

when I try to download the QSOs from LoTW, there is still an issue.

+ Why are you downloading QSOs from LotW? What steps are you taking to do this? What leads you to conclude that "there is still an issue"?

+ The appropriate action after submitting QSOs to LoTW is to invoke DXKeeper's "Sync LoTW QSOs" function to update your logged QSOs to reflect their acceptance by LoTW, and then invoke its "Sync LoTW QSLs" to update your QSOs to reflect their confirmation by LoTW. See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLingLotW

Jeff Tostenrude K5UHF

Thank you for investigating this. I have not looked at the GT forum yet to see if this had previously been reported.

The QSO does get logged to LoTW (from GT), so I was hoping that by using the Sync LoTW QSOs function, it would record the QSO in DXKeeper, but it does not. (It works fine for all other QSOs.)

73,
Jeff

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 3:09 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Looks like I got all the missing QSOs sorted out. Thank you again for all the assistance. Let's hope they get the bug fixed on the Gridtracker side.

73,
Jeff