Topics

Smart SDR 3.0.1.9 loaded but WSJT-X stopped receiving

K4PX K4PX

So my Flex 6400+Maestro was working great on FT8 with WSJT-X until I loaded Smart SDR 3.0.1.9 and now it will not receive.  I did not change anything.  I can hear the audio and WSJT-X is not reporting anything on the 0 dB-80 dB vertical scale.  I am using DX Labs.  Any ideas?  Thank you!

ND9G Mike

Did you also upgrade SmartSDR CAT and DAX?

73,
Mike ND9G

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 9:17 AM K4PX K4PX <K4PXjoe@...> wrote:
So my Flex 6400+Maestro was working great on FT8 with WSJT-X until I loaded Smart SDR 3.0.1.9 and now it will not receive.  I did not change anything.  I can hear the audio and WSJT-X is not reporting anything on the 0 dB-80 dB vertical scale.  I am using DX Labs.  Any ideas?  Thank you!

So my Flex 6400+Maestro was working great on FT8 with WSJT-X until I loaded Smart SDR 3.0.1.9 and now it will not receive. I did not change anything. I can hear the audio and WSJT-X is not reporting anything on the 0 dB-80 dB vertical scale. I am using DX Labs. Any ideas? Thank you!

+ As I announced here 13 days ago, DXLab does not support SmartSDR v3:

<https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/184991>

+ I received a "SmartSDR v3 migration guide" in late November. The primary new functionality in SmartSDR v3 - multiFlex - enables multiple ops to simultaneously use one Flex Signature transceiver. This did not strike me providing significant value to either DXers or general operators, so support for v3 was added to Commander's enhancement list, where it would compete for attention with other requested enhancements. I was also unhappy with Flex's lack of progress in providing requested SmartLink documentation, and in correcting a months-old SmartSDR 2.4.9 defect that causes audio glitches when callsigns are displayed on a SmartSDR panadaptor.

+ When it became clear that the release of SmartSDR v3 was imminent, I checked with Eric KE5DTO of Flex, who informed me that changes would be required in Commander to support SmartSDR v3 even if the user is not employing multiFlex. Specifically, when controlling a Flex Signature transceiver running SmartSDR v3, the current version of Commander cannot switch the transceiver between RX and TX, and cannot mute a slice; I have yet to review the "migration guide", so there may well be additional incompatibilities.

+ Making SmartSDR v3 non-upward-compatible with v2 can only be described as an egregious error. No competent software organization makes non-upward-compatible modifications to an API used by complementary 3rd party developers.

+ If you want to use DXLab with your Flex Signature transceiver, don't upgrade to SmartSDR v3.

+ Will Commander support SmartSDR v3? Yes, but this support is not imminent.

+ Will Commander support multiFlex? I haven't yet decided whether the value to a small fraction of the user community justifies the opportunity cost (development cycles diverted from tasks that would generate more value to a larger fraction of users).

Did you also upgrade SmartSDR CAT and DAX?

+ Commander does not use SmartSDR CAT to interoperate with Flex Signature radios. It uses the SmartSDR API.

ND9G Mike

I simply offered up a suggestion, as he didn't specifically mention that he was having a problem with Commander, just that he was having a problem with WSJT-X and FT8, after updating to 3.0. The DX Labs reference seemed as more an after thought that anything.

I had a similar problem, when my Maestro prompted the update to 3.0. It updated itself and the radio, but I had to manually download and install SmartSDR to update CAT and DAX, of which DAX is used for FT8 operation.

Having said that, I thought your message regarding problems with SmartSDR, was about using it via SmartLink, not that it didn't work at all. I am running v3.0 on my 6600+Maestro with Commander (13.9.0), but I also don't use Commander to the extent that some on this group do. So perhaps the problems with it are further in on some of the deeper features of Commander.

73,
Mike ND9G

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:22 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Did you also upgrade SmartSDR CAT and DAX?

+ Commander does not use SmartSDR CAT to interoperate with Flex Signature radios. It uses the SmartSDR API.

I simply offered up a suggestion, as he didn't specifically mention that he was having a problem with Commander, just that he was having a problem with WSJT-X and FT8, after updating to 3.0. The DX Labs reference seemed as more an after thought that anything.

+ The only way to control a Flex Signature radio via CAT is to set Commander's Radio Model selector to Kenwood. This is an unsupported configuration.

I had a similar problem, when my Maestro prompted the update to 3.0. It updated itself and the radio, but I had to manually download and install SmartSDR to update CAT and DAX, of which DAX is used for FT8 operation.

Having said that, I thought your message regarding problems with SmartSDR, was about using it via SmartLink, not that it didn't work at all. I am running v3.0 on my 6600+Maestro with Commander (13.9.0), but I also don't use Commander to the extent that some on this group do. So perhaps the problems with it are further in on some of the deeper features of Commander.

+ I have not installed SmartSDR v3. From what I see on the Flex v3 Alpha test email reflector and the Flex Forums, it does not yet appear stable. However, Eric KE5DTO of Flex states that until Commander is extended to support v3, it will be unable to switch the transceiver between RX and TX, and unable to mute a slice.

Jamie WW3S

perhaps I'm just lucky, I upgraded to 3.0 and Commander still works for me....

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 06:41 PM, Jamie WW3S wrote:

perhaps I'm just lucky, I upgraded to 3.0 and Commander still works for me....

Try directing Commander to switch your Flex transceiver between RX and TX.

Jamie WW3S

goes into TX , but not switching to RX, it stays in TX.....but then again, I never use this function.....I'm more of a control the radio and let the software follow kinda guy.....mainly cw here, using semi breakin, so I've never had the need to use that in commander.....

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 06:41 PM, Jamie WW3S wrote:

perhaps I'm just lucky, I upgraded to 3.0 and Commander still works for me....

Try directing Commander to switch your Flex transceiver between RX and TX.

goes into TX , but not switching to RX, it stays in TX.....but then again, I never use this function.....I'm more of a control the radio and let the software follow kinda guy.....mainly cw here, using semi breakin, so I've never had the need to use that in commander.....

+ So you happen to not employ a function that doesn't work when Commander is controlling a Flex Signature running SmartSDR v3.

+ Anyone using Commander for transceiver control with FLDigi, MixW, MMTTY, MultiPSK, WinWarbler, or WSJT-X would not say that "DXLab works fine with SmartSDR v3".