Slow Spotcollector - Database size

Steve Wedge

Good afternoon, all!

I wasn't aware that there was a setting in Spotcollector to limit the size of the spots database.  My SC was taking an extremely long time to come up and was getting worse with time.

There is a setting in the Config window, on the "Spot Database" tab with a subpanel called "Size Control".  Set this to prune entries after how ever many days you want (I chose 7 days) and told it to "Prune Database on startup".

Everything is running great now!  By spot database had been accumulating for years and was at about 1.5 GB!  This computer has a mechanical hard drive but a database THAT big would probably slow down a SSD noticeably, as well.

This was a very simple solution to a vexing problem.  TNX to K4QE for coming up with this suggestion.

Steve Wedge, W1ES/4

Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Steve, W1ES/4

iain macdonnell - N6ML

See also: http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeSCPerformance

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 11:10 AM Steve Wedge via groups.io
<w1es=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

+ That's documented here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/Help/SpotDatabase.htm#Pruning%20the%20Spot%20Database

My SC was taking an extremely long time to come up and was getting worse with time.

There is a setting in the Config window, on the "Spot Database" tab with a subpanel called "Size Control". Set this to prune entries after how ever many days you want (I chose 7 days) and told it to "Prune Database on startup".

Everything is running great now! By spot database had been accumulating for years and was at about 1.5 GB! This computer has a mechanical hard drive but a database THAT big would probably slow down a SSD noticeably, as well.

This was a very simple solution to a vexing problem. TNX to K4QE for coming up with this suggestion.

+ There are more performance-impacting factors than Spot Database Size. See "Optimizing SpotCollector's Performance" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeSCPerformance