Topics

Slow Program Response Followup

na5u mlt

I wanted to let the group know that the slow response was solved by a reload of Windows 10. I now have most the programs reloaded, as well as DXLab and all is well.
Mike
NA5U

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 05:25 PM, na5u mlt wrote:

I wanted to let the group know that the slow response was solved by a reload of Windows 10. I now have most the programs reloaded, as well as DXLab and all is well.

+ I'm glad that you got it sorted, Mike. What led you to conclude that reloading Windows 10 would eliminate the poor performance?

Dave, AA6YQ

na5u mlt

Dave,

In trying to eliminate the various possibilities, I forced it into Safe Mode. When in Safe Mode or at least the start of Safe Mode, it wanted a password; so I entered it and it would not take it. Turns out that is a know problem in some Windows builds (mine had the latest updates). So, I took it to Geek Squad and told them if they couldn’t get it our of Safe Mode just to wipe it and put a new load on. I backup all data off-line so all I had to do was reload the programs, which wasn’t a big deal. Everything is working well; even my graphics card is handling all 13 sq. ft. of monitor space without a problem.

Mike

NA5U

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

In trying to eliminate the various possibilities, I forced it into Safe Mode. When in Safe Mode or at least the start of Safe Mode, it wanted a password; so I entered it and it would not take it. Turns out that is a know problem in some Windows builds (mine had the latest updates). So, I took it to Geek Squad and told them if they couldn’t get it our of Safe Mode just to wipe it and put a new load on. I backup all data off-line so all I had to do was reload the programs, which wasn’t a big deal. Everything is working well; even my graphics card is handling all 13 sq. ft. of monitor space without a problem.

+ Thanks, Mike. So "Windows was broke" is what led you to re-install it, and a side-effect of the re-install was that the previously slow application performance was no longer present.

Dave, AA6YQ

Mike NA5U

Yep, Windows again. Thanks all.
NA5U

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 11:50 AM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Slow Program Response Followup

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ Thanks, Mike. So "Windows was broke" is what led you to re-install it, and a side-effect of the re-install was that the previously slow application performance was no longer present.

Dave, AA6YQ

Gary Smetana

Hi Mike,

Congrats on your performance upgrade.      Got a similar success story, that others may want to consider.

Because of wicked slow response times + some bizarre stuff from corrupted files,  I did a Re-Install of Windows 10.......after first doing a thorough back-up of my personal files + the DXkeeper log, etc.

After the new Windows 10 was loaded, I re-installed all my apps. + my personal files & the DXlab apps. + my DXkeeper log.

Then I did a thorough review & update of all the Drivers. (It's a l-o-n-g  list).    Many Drivers were out-of-date.

These actions have caused a boisterous  W o w !    My PC is perky & nimble again !       Not slow & sluggish anymore.
The Look-up of a call, using DXcapture & DXkeeper, is much faster now.  Done in < 2 sec. today... compared to >6 sec. before the Windows 10 Re-install, Driver updates, etc.

The "Microsoft Community" produced 2 Software volunteer experts that were my Chat coaches during this intricate process, where attention to detail is vital. The instructions on this website - and the support from its author -  were world-class, and critical to my success.

Gary  de W1EBM

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 8:26 PM na5u mlt <na5u@...> wrote:
Mike
NA5U

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Congrats on your performance upgrade. Got a similar success story, that others may want to consider.

Because of wicked slow response times + some bizarre stuff from corrupted files, I did a Re-Install of Windows 10.......after first doing a thorough back-up of my personal files + the DXkeeper log, etc.

After the new Windows 10 was loaded, I re-installed all my apps. + my personal files & the DXlab apps. + my DXkeeper log.

Then I did a thorough review & update of all the Drivers. (It's a l-o-n-g list). Many Drivers were out-of-date.

These actions have caused a boisterous W o w ! My PC is perky & nimble again ! Not slow & sluggish anymore.
The Look-up of a call, using DXcapture & DXkeeper, is much faster now. Done in < 2 sec. today... compared to >6 sec. before the Windows 10 Re-install, Driver updates, etc.

The "Microsoft Community" produced 2 Software volunteer experts that were my Chat coaches during this intricate process, where attention to detail is vital. The instructions on this website - and the support from its author - were world-class, and critical to my success.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587.

+ Thanks, Gary! I've added that URL to the top section of

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/WindowsTricks>

Dave, AA6YQ