Slider "Function Field" Does not Appear when Hovering over Slider Label

John AC4CA

I successfully created a Commander command-generating slider to control a K4's main AF gain. It works fine. The "Function" field in the slider's configuration window reads "M.AF GAIN <value>." When I hover the mouse over the slider label I don't get a pop-up with string and value. Doesn't change the functionality of the slider, but I just wonder why I'm not seeing the pop-up.

I successfully created a Commander command-generating slider to control a K4's main AF gain. It works fine. The "Function" field in the slider's configuration window reads "M.AF GAIN <value>." When I hover the mouse over the slider label I don't get a pop-up with string and value. Doesn't change the functionality of the slider, but I just wonder why I'm not seeing the pop-up.

+ Click on the title bar of Commander's Main window (to activate it), and then let the mouse cursor hover over your slider's label.

John AC4CA

Thanks, Dave. Regardless of whether the Commander window is active, I get no pop-up for any sliders. (I made another to test whether it might be just this one...) When I move focus/deactivate the window all Commander window pop-ups lose functionality, as expected.

Thanks, Dave. Regardless of whether the Commander window is active, I get no pop-up for any sliders. (I made another to test whether it might be just this one...) When I move focus/deactivate the window all Commander window pop-ups lose functionality, as expected.

+ Please double-click your slider's label to display the "User Slider N Configuration" window. What is specified in the Function textbox?

John AC4CA

M.AF GAIN <value>

M.AF GAIN <value>

+ Thanks.

+ In the Guidance panel at the bottom of the General tab of Commander's Configuration window, is the "show control explanations" box checked?

John AC4CA

Yes, it's checked.

Dave AA6YQ

Yes, it's checked.

+ Then I can't explain why Windows is failing to display your slider's tooltip. You are the first to report this behavior.

@ AA6YQ comments below
Yes, it's checked.

+ Then I can't explain why Windows is failing to display your slider's tooltip. You are the first to report this behavior.

@ To debug this further, try changing the Slider's function definition to nothing but the letter A, and then save it. Does that cause your slider to display a tooltip?

John AC4CA

No change. Nothing displays. I also tried changing the Config value "Show within Main window" and "Show by expanding Main window." Neither choice affects the issue. Strange thing is, the labels for the User-defined Controls immediately above the sliders display function properly when hovered over. All other fields in the Commander window display guidance when hovered over. This is not a huge issue since it does not affect the functionality of the sliders. I'm thinking a debug session won't help, but if you think it will, I'd be glad to do one and provide it to you.

No change. Nothing displays. I also tried changing the Config value "Show within Main window" and "Show by expanding Main window." Neither choice affects the issue. Strange thing is, the labels for the User-defined Controls immediately above the sliders display function properly when hovered over. All other fields in the Commander window display guidance when hovered over. This is not a huge issue since it does not affect the functionality of the sliders. I'm thinking a debug session won't help, but if you think it will, I'd be glad to do one and provide it to you.

+ There's no way for any application to know whether or not Windows is displaying a tooltip - so an errorlog would not shed any light on the situation.

+ Is anyone else experiencing the absence of tooltips (explanatory popups) in Commander's user-defined sliders?

John AC4CA

Discovered that when using Win10 multiple monitors, tool tips for sliders only show up when the Commander window is displayed in "Monitor 1." Other tool tips in window work as advertised. Wow....

See this post https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/195587 for Dave's answer when I asked this question.

--
Bob AF9W
DXLab user since 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 04:53 AM, John AC4CA wrote:
Discovered that when using Win10 multiple monitors, tool tips for sliders only show up when the Commander window is displayed in "Monitor 1." Other tool tips in window work as advertised. Wow....
See this post https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/195587 for Dave's answer when I asked this question.

+ Yes, there is a known defect in the commercial component used to implement the "Log Page Display" in DXKeeper and the "Spot Database Display" in SpotCollector that prevents tooltips from appearing in those displays when they are positioned on any monitor other than the primary.

+ Commander's "Sliders" are implemented with a component known as a "horizontal scroll bar" that is provided by Microsoft; evidently, it contains a similar defect.