Topics

Setting up WSJT-X again

Norman Heyen

Hey folks,
I had WSJT-X, JTAlert and DXLab working with my Kenwood TS-570 and Signalink. Then a Windows 10 update failed and my PC would not even boot*. So everything I had setup was lost. I had created a log backup and a workspace backup, so getting DXLab up again wasn't too bad.

But I am not getting the sound card (Signalink) setup correctly. I know I got some help before, printed it and promptly filed it somewhere I can't find. So can someone assist me again? My setup is a Signalink in Windows 10 Pro (release 1909) talking to the latest releases of DXLab, WSJT-X and JTAlert.

I have DXLab setup as the radio and when I select a frequency (7.074) in WSJT-X, the radio changes and Commander shows the correct frequency. So at least that is working.

WSJT-X decodes and displays the activity, it shows up in the waterfall. When I click on a CQ in JTAlert, the call sign populates the DXView window, fills in the country and all that. Clicking on a CQ in WSJT-X also  populates the DXView window.

Clicking on a CQ in either JTAlert or WSJT-X does not activate the "Enable TX" button (turn red). When I manually click on the "Enable TX", the radio goes into transmit mode and split frequency. But no indication there is any signal being transmitted (the power meter stays at 0). The Signalink does it's clicking sounds like it is switching to TX.

I have found the hard to find Windows panel to set the levels but none of the levels I've tried (0db) in the USB-CODEC Out (the Signalink, I think).

I'm lost and don't know what else to try. It seems I am so close but not finding one last check box, button or something. But I can't figure out why there is no output. Nothing physical has changed, the cables are plugged in correctly, everything works in SSB but I am at a loss at this point.

Thanks in advance,
Norman

* Quite frankly, I've about had it with Windows. The quality of the updates and the complexity of finding where to do anything is disappointing. And don't get me wrong, I've been a SQL Server DBA for over a decade and have used Windows since it's debut as Windows 1.0 but the past year has been a complete disaster. I entered a call with Microsoft support to get the 1809 update installed. No help from them other than "Wait until the next release, maybe it will be fixed then". I have reopened the same ticket twice since and no one at Microsoft is able or willing to help. I don't know if even DXLab is enough to keep me using Windows.

I had WSJT-X, JTAlert and DXLab working with my Kenwood TS-570 and Signalink. Then a Windows 10 update failed and my PC would not even boot*. So everything I had setup was lost. I had created a log backup and a workspace backup, so getting DXLab up again wasn't too bad.

+ Sorry about the failed update, but nice work on hygiene!!!

[...]

+ If someone here with Signalink experience doesn't respond to your request for help, I suggest posting on the WSJT-X support group:

https://groups.io/g/WSJTX

Greg

Norman

These seemed to be what fixed it last time:

Greg VK3VT

And we have a winner! Changing the PTT from CAT to VOX makes the TS-570 work like it should. A rig specific oddity. Glad it wasn't anything really complicated.

Thank you Bill and Dave for taking the time to help me out. I don't know enough about the digital ins and outs to have gone against the published guidelines.

Thanks again and hope to make a contact with you soon.
Norman
KC9NVN

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 7:35 PM g4wjs <bill.8@...> wrote:
On 12/06/2019 23:56, Norman Heyen wrote:
> I think I followed the steps in the "Getting started with K1JT modes
> using WSJT-X, JTAlert and DXLab". Followed the steps but when I tried
> to send an FT8 call, the radio (Kenwood 570) the radio displays Tx,
> the Signalink PTT LED turns on but the power meter doesn't move. Like
> the radio is set to zero watt power. The TEST PTT button in the WSJT-X
> configuration Radio tab goes red.

Hi Norman,

I believe the TS-570 will only take Tx audio from the rear ACC socket
when it is keyed via the PKS pin on that socket, the SignaLink USB will
do that autonomously without any PTT input from elsewhere. You probably
need to set the "Settings->Radio->PTT Method" to "VOX" in WSJT-X, with
that setting WSJT-X does not attempt to assert PTT. You will find that
the "Settings->Radio->Test PTT" button is non-functional in that
configuration, to test Tx functionality use the "Tune" button on the
WSJT-X main window.

Bill

G4WJS.

On 29/03/2020 09:52, Norman Heyen wrote:
[...]

Bill, you are my hero! I looked for the old messages and just could not find this one. One simple radio button change and all worked again. And an end to hours of frustration...

Thanks!
Norman

On March 28, 2020 at 9:13 PM Greg <greg@...> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks in advance,
Norman

* Quite frankly, I've about had it with Windows. The quality of the updates and the complexity of finding where to do anything is disappointing. And don't get me wrong, I've been a SQL Server DBA for over a decade and have used Windows since it's debut as Windows 1.0 but the past year has been a complete disaster. I entered a call with Microsoft support to get the 1809 update installed. No help from them other than "Wait until the next release, maybe it will be fixed then". I have reopened the same ticket twice since and no one at Microsoft is able or willing to help. I don't know if even DXLab is enough to keep me using Windows.

Sorry Greg, I was looking at the old message... It has been a long day.
Greg, you are also my hero! :-)