Topics

setting up on the laptop: file saving 101

K5ZM

Continuing on from yesterday…

Dave, I was able to follow the wiki info on ‘moving between PCs’ with *almost* no trouble. I copied relevant/desired files from the source PC to a thumb drive. Simple enough. It was in creating/saving to a workspace that tripped me up. I dutifully created my ‘RelocationBackup’ workspace name and hit the ‘save data to workspace’ button.

Loaded the thumb drive onto the destination PC and, what’s this…? No file called ‘RelocationBackup’..?? Ah, of course there isn’t. I’d saved it to the source PC! (That said, it ended up being an empty file. Mystery #1. So…being the bright(?) guy that I am, I tried to create a new workspace -only this time I included a full pathname directing it to the thumb drive. My brilliant idea was met with a message box informing me that I:\Safe Storage\Launcher\Workspaces\RelocationBackup is an invalid pathname. Mystery #2 -at least to me.

I’m sure it’s some Dummies level item I’ve overlooking but -several rereadings later- I still can’t spot it. Kinda feeling like if I were to stand next to a wall and shine a flashlight into my far ear, the beam would pass straight through the near ear! :\

Tnx es 73

Ian, K5ZM

Dave, I was able to follow the wiki info on 'moving between PCs' with *almost* no trouble. I copied relevant/desired files from the
source PC to a thumb drive. Simple enough. It was in creating/saving to a workspace that tripped me up. I dutifully created my
'RelocationBackup' workspace name and hit the 'save data to workspace' button.

+ I'm assuming you took these steps on your "source PC". Start the Launcher on the "source PC" and open the Launcher's Workspaces
window. What is specified in the "Current Workspace Folder" box in the window's lower-right corner?

K5ZM

Yes. The source machine. See attached screenshot. I ended up manually copying/pasting the relatively small number of files between desktop and laptop via the thumb drive. Aside from some minor adjustments to the log page display, everything seems to be behaving as expected so far. I'm still curious, though, what it was I missed. Appreciate your patience 😉

[...]

+ The Launcher on the source machine and the Launcher on the destination machine each have a Workspaces folder. User the thumb drive to copy the contents of the source machine's Workspaces folder to the destination machine's Workspaces folder. Then direct the Launcher on the destination machine to load its settings from the Workspace in its Workspaces folder.

Dave, I was able to follow the wiki info on 'moving between PCs' with *almost* no trouble. I copied relevant/desired files from the source PC to a thumb drive. Simple enough. It was in creating/saving to a workspace that tripped me up. I dutifully created my 'RelocationBackup' workspace name and hit the 'save data to workspace' button.

+ I'm assuming you took these steps on your "source PC". Start the
+ Launcher on the "source PC" and open the Launcher's Workspaces
window. What is specified in the "Current Workspace Folder" box in the window's lower-right corner?

https://www.avg.com

K5ZM

I see the error of my ways -and it was indeed a 'Dummies level' misstep. If I experience any issues from the manual C&P I did, I'll know what NOT to overlook. For now, I'm gonna chalk it up to having gone all day without food.

Tnx, Dave!