Topics

Scotland not Shetland Islands

Kent N6WT

In SpotCollector, I have been getting spots for Scotland stations that are mistaken for the Shetland Islands. Is there a way to stop it?

The latest was GM4KJO.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 09:09 AM, Kent N6WT wrote:

In SpotCollector, I have been getting spots for Scotland stations that are mistaken for the Shetland Islands. Is there a way to stop it?

The latest was GM4KJO.

+ Yes: define an override for GM4KJO that specifies his or her location:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateEntityOverride>

+ Then direct SpotCollector to "recompute".

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 9:23 AM Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 09:09 AM, Kent N6WT wrote:

In SpotCollector, I have been getting spots for Scotland stations that are mistaken for the Shetland Islands. Is there a way to stop it?

The latest was GM4KJO.

+ Yes: define an override for GM4KJO that specifies his or her location:
Shouldn't we first explore why it's getting associated with GM/s in
the first place? I don't see GM4KJO in the DXCC database. I do see
GM4KJQ, though.... ???

73,

~iain / N6ML

Kent N6WT

I have received other spots for different stations that are clearly in Scotland. I just did not take note of them.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 9:28 AM iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@...> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 9:23 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

> + AA6YQ comments below
>
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 09:09 AM, Kent N6WT wrote:
>
> In SpotCollector, I have been getting spots for Scotland stations that are mistaken for the Shetland Islands. Is there a way to stop it?
>
> The latest was GM4KJO.
>
> + Yes: define an override for GM4KJO that specifies his or her location:

Shouldn't we first explore why it's getting associated with GM/s in
the first place? I don't see GM4KJO in the DXCC database. I do see
GM4KJQ, though.... ???

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

iain macdonnell - N6ML

In this case, was it actually KJO, or KJQ ?

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 9:28 AM iain macdonnell - N6ML <@N6ML> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 9:23 AM Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 09:09 AM, Kent N6WT wrote:

In SpotCollector, I have been getting spots for Scotland stations that are mistaken for the Shetland Islands. Is there a way to stop it?

The latest was GM4KJO.

+ Yes: define an override for GM4KJO that specifies his or her location:
Shouldn't we first explore why it's getting associated with GM/s in
the first place? I don't see GM4KJO in the DXCC database. I do see
GM4KJQ, though.... ???

73,

~iain / N6ML

aart wedemeijer PA3C

Shetland is same DXCC as Scotland

Aart PA3C

Kent N6WT

KJQ

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 9:41 AM iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@...> wrote:
In this case, was it actually KJO, or KJQ ?

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 9:34 AM Kent N6WT <kilo6dko@...> wrote:

> I have received other spots for different stations that are clearly in Scotland. I just did not take note of them.
>
> Thanks
> 73
> Kent
> N6WT
>

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 9:28 AM iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@...> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 9:23 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > + AA6YQ comments below
>> >
>> > On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 09:09 AM, Kent N6WT wrote:
>> >
>> > In SpotCollector, I have been getting spots for Scotland stations that are mistaken for the Shetland Islands. Is there a way to stop it?
>> >
>> > The latest was GM4KJO.
>> >
>> > + Yes: define an override for GM4KJO that specifies his or her location:
>>
>> Shouldn't we first explore why it's getting associated with GM/s in
>> the first place? I don't see GM4KJO in the DXCC database. I do see
>> GM4KJQ, though.... ???
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>     ~iain / N6ML

iain macdonnell - N6ML

Looks like the association between GM4KJQ and GM/s was removed from
the "country files" in 2014:

https://www.country-files.com/n3fjp-19-november-2014/

It probably should be removed from DXView's DXCC database too.

Meanwhile, an override will work around it, or you could modify your
DXCC database locally. http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/Help/DXCC.htm

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 9:51 AM Kent N6WT <kilo6dko@...> wrote:

KJQ

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 9:41 AM iain macdonnell - N6ML <@N6ML> wrote:

[...]

+ Correct, but for CQ and WAE awards, the Shetland Islands are a country separate from Scotland. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/AwardInfo.htm>

Kent N6WT

Override created for GM4KJQ.

I also found one other call that I created an override for about a week ago GM4CAQ. It just seemed odd that these were showing up as unworked marathon countries.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:18 AM, Kent N6WT wrote:

I also found one other call that I created an override for about a week ago GM4CAQ. It just seemed odd that these were showing up as unworked marathon countries

+ If those stations are on the Shetland Islands and you haven't worked Shetland Islands this year, then its correct for them to be highlighted as needed for the CQ DX Marathon.

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:29 AM Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:18 AM, Kent N6WT wrote:

I also found one other call that I created an override for about a week ago GM4CAQ. It just seemed odd that these were showing up as unworked marathon countries

+ If those stations are on the Shetland Islands and you haven't worked Shetland Islands this year, then its correct for them to be highlighted as needed for the CQ DX Marathon.
Agreed, but....

GM4CAQ, per qrz.com bio, left GM/s in 1997.

Seems that a cleanup of the DXCC database may be in order........

73,

~iain / N6ML

Carlo - IK2RPE

.... WAE... and consequently valid also for DxMarathon

Carlo  IK2RPE

Il mer 29 lug 2020, 19:30 Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> ha scritto:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Shetland is same DXCC as Scotland

+ Correct, but for CQ and WAE awards, the Shetland Islands are a country separate from Scotland. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/AwardInfo.htm>

Joe Subich, W4TV

Seems that a cleanup of the DXCC database may be in order........
Well, unless changes like that are reported they can't be made.

On 2020-07-29 2:39 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:29 AM Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:18 AM, Kent N6WT wrote:

I also found one other call that I created an override for about a week ago GM4CAQ. It just seemed odd that these were showing up as unworked marathon countries

+ If those stations are on the Shetland Islands and you haven't worked Shetland Islands this year, then its correct for them to be highlighted as needed for the CQ DX Marathon.
Agreed, but....
GM4CAQ, per qrz.com bio, left GM/s in 1997.
Seems that a cleanup of the DXCC database may be in order........
73,
~iain / N6ML

Kent N6WT

According to the CQ Marathon webpage, those calls are not valid for Shetland Islands.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On 2020-07-29 2:39 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:29 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
>>
>> + AA6YQ comments below
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:18 AM, Kent N6WT wrote:
>>
>> I also found one other call that I created an override for about a week ago GM4CAQ. It just seemed odd that these were showing up as unworked marathon countries
>>
>> + If those stations are on the Shetland Islands and you haven't worked Shetland Islands this year, then its correct for them to be highlighted as needed for the CQ DX Marathon.
>
> Agreed, but....
>
> GM4CAQ, per qrz.com bio, left GM/s in 1997.
>
> Seems that a cleanup of the DXCC database may be in order........
>
> 73,
>
>      ~iain / N6ML

iain macdonnell - N6ML

Kent,

Here's the list of callsigns that the current DXView DXCC database
associates with GM/s:

2M0ZET,2M1ANT,2M1ASQ,2M1ODL,G0FBJ,GB2ELH,GB2ZET,GB#LER,GB4SI,GM0CXQ,MM6SJK,MS0ZCG,MS0ZET,GM0CYJ,GM0DJI,
GM0EKM,GM0GFL,GM0ILB,GM0JDB,GM0MZD,GM0OMV,GM0VFA,GM1BYL,GM1CBQ,GM1KKI,GM1MXN,GM1ZNR,GM3KLA,GM3KZH,
GM3RFR,GM3SJA,GM3STU,GM3UPU,GM3WCH,GM3WHT,GM3XPQ,GM3ZET,GM3ZNM,GM3ZXH,GM4AGX,MM6BDU,GM4CAQ,GM4DQD,
GM4ENK,GM4FNA,GM4FNE,GM4GPN,GM4GPP,GM4GQD,GM4GQM,GM4IPK,GM4JPI,GM4KJQ,GM4LBE,GM4LER,GM4PXG,GM4SLV,
GM4SRU,GM4SSA,GM4SWU,GM4WXQ,GM4YEL,GM4ZHL,GM6RTO,GM6VZB,GM6WVI,GM6YQA,GM7AFE,GM7GWW,GM7RKD,GM8LNH,
GM8MMA,GM8YEC,GS3ZET,MA1FJM,MM0LSM,MM0XAU,MM0ZAL,MM0ZCG,MM1FJM,MM3ZET,MM5PSL,MM6ACW

Perhaps if you come up with a list of the ones that you believe to be
incorrect, Joe might consider removing them from the database in the
next update.......

73,

~iain / N6ML

http://www.dxmarathon.com/helpfulhints/2020/HelpfulHints2020.htm#Shetland%20Islands

On 2020-07-29 2:39 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:29 AM Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:18 AM, Kent N6WT wrote:

I also found one other call that I created an override for about a week ago GM4CAQ. It just seemed odd that these were showing up as unworked marathon countries

+ If those stations are on the Shetland Islands and you haven't worked Shetland Islands this year, then its correct for them to be highlighted as needed for the CQ DX Marathon.
Agreed, but....

GM4CAQ, per qrz.com bio, left GM/s in 1997.

Seems that a cleanup of the DXCC database may be in order........

73,

~iain / N6ML

Andrew OBrien

Sort it out after the next referendum :)

Andy K3UK