Scheduled backups

Joe W4WT

Dave, I would like to suggest that an option be added to DxKeeper's backup capability to perform a backup automatically after a certain amount of time has passed since the last backup (hours, day, days, etc.).   Maybe before the backup starts, check the database to see if anything has actually changed and if not just reset the "timer" to the next time period to reduce duplicate backups.

The reason for the request is I (probably like many) leave DxLab running for many days in a row and do not always remember to manually create a backup when I finish for the day.  I may go for two weeks or more with DxKeeper running and possibly not backed up because it has not been closed and/or I just didn't think to click backup.

I realize I should remember to do this for my own well being but I'm old and forgetful these days.

Thanks for considering,

Joe

Dave, I would like to suggest that an option be added to DxKeeper's backup capability to perform a backup automatically after a certain amount of time has passed since the last backup (hours, day, days, etc.). Maybe before the backup starts, check the database to see if anything has actually changed and if not just reset the "timer" to the next time period to reduce duplicate backups.

The reason for the request is I (probably like many) leave DxLab running for many days in a row and do not always remember to manually create a backup when I finish for the day. I may go for two weeks or more with DxKeeper running and possibly not backed up because it has not been closed and/or I just didn't think to click backup.

I realize I should remember to do this for my own well being but I'm old and forgetful these days.

+ There are "backup and recovery" applications that will automatically backup your log -- and any other files you designate -- at whatever frequency you wish. At least one of them is free. See step 4 in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/BackupRecovery

KA9JAC

Dave,

Another not on your list that I have used for years...
Syncback, The best backup software for Windows: local, cloud & network (2brightsparks.com)
there is a free version available.

73
Bob, KA9JAC

On 1/22/2022 2:03 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Another not on your list that I have used for years...
Syncback, The best backup software for Windows: local, cloud & network (2brightsparks.com) <https://www.2brightsparks.com/> there is a free version available.

+ Thanks, Bob! I've added SyncBack to the list. I did not find a link to a free version, however, and so did not denote it as "free".

Dave

KA9JAC

Free backup software - no strings attached (2brightsparks.com)

On 1/22/2022 2:23 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Another not on your list that I have used for years...
Syncback, The best backup software for Windows: local, cloud & network (2brightsparks.com) <https://www.2brightsparks.com/> there is a free version available.

+ Thanks, Bob! I've added SyncBack to the list. I did not find a link to a free version, however, and so did not denote it as "free".

          Dave

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Dave AA6YQ

@ more AA6YQ comments below

Free backup software - no strings attached (2brightsparks.com) <https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html>

@ Added, thanks!

Joe W4WT

+ There are "backup and recovery" applications that will automatically backup your log -- and any other files you designate -- at whatever frequency you wish. At least one of them is free. See step 4 in

Yep, knew that.

Thanks,

Joe

Steve Jones

Having it run from dxlabs means that open databases can be closed or quiesced. That will a better change for a good backup and and a an uncorrupted database.
Steve

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 2:03 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Steve WS5W

Having it run from dxlabs means that open databases can be closed or quiesced. That will a better change for a good backup and and a an uncorrupted database.

+ In the 20 years since DXKeeper has been publicly available, there has not been one report of a corrupted log database recovered from any backup. Had there been one, the responsible Backup & Recovery application would be listed on a "do not fly" list.