Topics

SC Spot Source Timeout

w5ec

MySC Spot Sources (2) have always timed out and disconnected sometime during the night and that's understandable.
Now they time out and disconnect at random times during the day.
Yesterday it was at 5:00 pm local time. After restarting the sources, it happened at 8:00 pm.
Then they stayed connected all night last night and disconnected at 6:00 am this morning.
I reconnected and they timed out at 8:00am, and again at 10:30 am. They always time out at the same time.
How is that process supposed to work?
Bill W5EC

w6de

Bill, have you turned off the power save options in Windows?

From Joe, W4TV:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PreventUSBPortPowerDown?highlight=%28usb%29

73,

Dave, w6de

MySC Spot Sources (2) have always timed out and disconnected sometime during the night and that's understandable.
Now they time out and disconnect at random times during the day.
Yesterday it was at 5:00 pm local time. After restarting the sources, it happened at 8:00 pm.
Then they stayed connected all night last night and disconnected at 6:00 am this morning.
I reconnected and they timed out at 8:00am, and again at 10:30 am. They always time out at the same time.
How is that process supposed to work?
Bill W5EC

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 9:17 AM w5ec <bhw5ec@gmail.com> wrote:

MySC Spot Sources (2) have always timed out and disconnected sometime during the night and that's understandable.
Now they time out and disconnect at random times during the day.
Yesterday it was at 5:00 pm local time. After restarting the sources, it happened at 8:00 pm.
Then they stayed connected all night last night and disconnected at 6:00 am this morning.
I reconnected and they timed out at 8:00am, and again at 10:30 am. They always time out at the same time.
How is that process supposed to work?
When you say "time out", are you actually seeing some message that
mentions a timeout, or do you just mean that the connections are
getting dropped? What exactly do you see in SpotCollector when this
happens?

It sounds to me like something to do with your internet connectivity
is resetting periodically - it could be your router, or something that
your ISP is doing, or perhaps even some "malware protection" software
that you have installed on your PC.

73,

~iain / N6ML

MySC Spot Sources (2) have always timed out and disconnected sometime during the night and that's understandable.

+ That's not expected behavior unless your Internet Service Provider turns off your service each night.

Now they time out and disconnect at random times during the day.
Yesterday it was at 5:00 pm local time. After restarting the sources, it happened at 8:00 pm.
Then they stayed connected all night last night and disconnected at 6:00 am this morning.
I reconnected and they timed out at 8:00am, and again at 10:30 am. They always time out at the same time.
How is that process supposed to work?

+ Your computer is supposed to remain connected to the internet.

+ As Iain N6ML suggested, something in your system is causing connections to be dropped.
Bill W5EC

w5ec

The message in the spot sources say "connection timed out".

w5ec

The internet remains connected until I put the computer to sleep.
The computer is a dedicated desk top with no usb connections.
The sources timed out last night at approx 9:00 pm.
The computer was still connected to internet this morn. It will not reconnect automatically.

The internet remains connected until I put the computer to sleep.
The computer is a dedicated desk top with no usb connections.
The sources timed out last night at approx 9:00 pm.
The computer was still connected to internet this morn. It will not reconnect automatically.

+ If you want SpotCollector to remain connected to Internet-accessible Spot Sources 24x7, then you must configure your computer to remain connected to the internet 24x7. As others have noted in this thread, the principle causes of unexpected internet disconnection are

- the hardware interface that provides Internet access is configured allow Windows to shut it down to save power

- settings in your Internet router or modem

w5ec

What is the hardware interface you mention? The modem?
If so, can the use typically reconfigure?

What is the hardware interface you mention? The modem?

+ The modem converts the analog signals that provide Internet access to an Ethernet connection, typically a female RJ-45 connector; the modem may be referred to as a "Cable Modem" or "Optical Network Terminal" or "Satellite Modem". Sometimes, the modem includes Router functionality.

If so, can the use typically reconfigure?
+ That depends on the modem. Obtain the manual for you modem, and review it.

w5ec

Dave, your reply turned on the light bulb in my head.
I have Dish TV and each morning at 4:30 am it does a refresh (for no apparent reason).
I have satellite internet so I checked the modem and sure enough, it resets during the night and disconnects.
So I connected  using a wireless hotspot for internet and it also resets during the night!
Since I live way in a rural area where cable is not available I will live having to  reconnect the spot source(s) each morning.
I'm already used to it so it 's not a big problem.
Thanks
Bill W5EC

Dave, your reply turned on the light bulb in my head.
I have Dish TV and each morning at 4:30 am it does a refresh (for no apparent reason).
I have satellite internet so I checked the modem and sure enough, it resets during the night and disconnects.
So I connected using a wireless hotspot for internet and it also resets during the night!

+ You might investigate to see if that reset can be eliminated.

+ Alternatively, consider a router that can connect to a primary and a secondary Internet Service Provider (ISP), automatically falling back to the secondary when the primary fails. So long as your two ISPs reset at different times, your applications will have continuous access to the Internet.