SC says 'Invalid Spot Frequency'

Scott Stembaugh

I was trying to spot J5T on 24.890 and I get a pop up from SpotCollector,

"24890kHz is not a valid spot frequency".

Is this because it is right on the band edge? (He was working up 1.x).

73,
--scott

Scott Stembaugh

It DOES let me spot a LOCAL spot though.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 12:24 PM Scott Stembaugh <radio.n9ljx@...> wrote:
I was trying to spot J5T on 24.890 and I get a pop up from SpotCollector,

"24890kHz is not a valid spot frequency".

Is this because it is right on the band edge? (He was working up 1.x).

73,
--scott

I was trying to spot J5T on 24.890 and I get a pop up from SpotCollector,

"24890kHz is not a valid spot frequency".

Is this because it is right on the band edge? (He was working up 1.x).

+ What's the lower bound on that band segment in SpotCollector's sub-band definition file?

+ The sub-band definition file included with SpotCollector specifies this entry:

24890.1,24915,CW,12M

+ which makes 24890 invalid.

Scott Stembaugh

Thanks, Dave.

Yes, that is what the BandModes file has.  I see that is the same for all bands (bottom range .1 up from bottom of band).  Is there a particular reason for this, other than to discourage spots at band edges?  And why would it work for Local spots but not Cluster spots?

73,
--scott

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 3:24 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
I was trying to spot J5T on 24.890 and I get a pop up from SpotCollector,

"24890kHz is not a valid spot frequency".

Is this because it is right on the band edge? (He was working up 1.x).

+ What's the lower bound on that band segment in SpotCollector's sub-band definition file?

+ The sub-band definition file included with SpotCollector specifies this entry:

24890.1,24915,CW,12M

+ which makes 24890 invalid.

Yes, that is what the BandModes file has.  I see that is the same for all bands (bottom range .1 up from bottom of band).  Is there a particular reason for this, other than to discourage spots at band edges?

+ That was the result of a 2009 discussion here about ignoring "bottom-of-band" spots, which often are broadcast messages rather than DX spots; see

https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/65854

And why would it work for Local spots but not Cluster spots?

+ The above-mentioned "bottom-of-band spot" problem does not exist with local spots, so they don't reference the sub-band definition file to derive the band name from the frequency; anything between 24890 and 24990 (inclusive) is considered 12m.