Topics

SC & DXK link to WSJTX

Joe - KC2TN

To ALL:

To close the loop on a problem I had with WSJT-X logging into DXKeeper, I’ve highlighted the solution for other’s below.

The problem I was having had to do with QSO’s NOT logging automatically into DXKeeper when the Spot Collector Database reached a size of approximately 30,000 entries.

The QSO’s would be logged fine when the entries in the Spot Collector Database were LOW,
but would begin to slow and then eventually FAIL to log altogether as the Database grew in size.

I originally thought it was a database size issue but after working with Dave and a few custom releases of SC installed,
Dave noticed SLOW database write times between transactions for every spot checked and written to the database.

We then started to address performance issues on my computer, which BTW is no slouch with a Ryzen 7-3700X 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor and SSD drives.

Turns out I was being bit by the Virus\Malware protection software I was using.
I had “MalwareBytes” installed for which I HAD EXCLUDED the \DXLab folder,
BUT I had neglected to exclude it from “Windows Defender”.

So, the moral of the story Is , CHECK ALL of the Virus and Malware programs you’re running and add the exclusions for DXLab programs.

Keep in mind I didn’t notice the slow down until the QSO’s began to fail on logging.
Now things are running much faster and smoother.
If you suspect a sluggish computer or experience errors, check your Virus\Malware software settings.

My timings went from a Max of 70 milliseconds per Spot down to 5-10 milliseconds.

Thanks AGAIN for the rescue Dave,
Joe -KC2TN

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Joe - KC2TN via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 3:49 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] SC & DXK link to WSJTX

I’ve been using the SC and DXK link to WSJTX link the past several weeks.

I switched off JTAlert during this time.

I like how the link works showing all my digital award goals.

However, I’ve noticed with all the spots from WSJTx flowing into the SC database it gets bloated rather quickly.

I set my purge back to 1 day and I’ve been keeping track of it’s size. When SC DATABASE approaches 60k records my logging link to DXK stops functioning.

When I purge it again, logging starts up again.

This has happened several times, so at this point it’s just an observation. I’m not really sure what the cause is.

Normally I’d look at my computer horsepower but this is a new set up with a fast computer and plenty of memory.

Just wondering if anyone else had noticed this?

Joe - KC2TN

Dave AA6YQ

Thanks Joe for your "after action report".

At this point, interference from an improperly configured (or incompetent) anti-malware or firewall application is the most frequent root cause of problems being reported here.

To determine whether slow performance or slow startup is being caused by this kind of interference, reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking" and then start only those applications necessary to assess any change in performance. If the adverse behavior is gone, then one of the applications that Windows automatically starts when booted "normally" is at fault. The culprit is almost always an anti-malware or firewall application; for additional information, see

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference>>

+ Note that when Windows is booted into "Safe Mode with Networking", it does not load device drivers, so Commander will be unable to communicate with your transceiver, and DXView will be unable to communicate with your antenna rotator.

Dave, AA6YQ

To close the loop on a problem I had with WSJT-X logging into DXKeeper, I ve highlighted the solution for other s below.

The problem I was having had to do with QSO s NOT logging automatically into DXKeeper when the Spot Collector Database reached a size of approximately 30,000 entries.

The QSO s would be logged fine when the entries in the Spot Collector Database were LOW, but would begin to slow and then eventually FAIL to log altogether as the Database grew in size.

I originally thought it was a database size issue but after working with Dave and a few custom releases of SC installed, Dave noticed SLOW database write times between transactions for every spot checked and written to the database.

We then started to address performance issues on my computer, which BTW is no slouch with a Ryzen 7-3700X 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor and SSD drives.

Turns out I was being bit by the Virus\Malware protection software I was using.
I had MalwareBytes installed for which I HAD EXCLUDED the \DXLab folder, BUT I had neglected to exclude it from Windows Defender .

So, the moral of the story Is , CHECK ALL of the Virus and Malware programs you re running and add the exclusions for DXLab programs.

Keep in mind I didn t notice the slow down until the QSO s began to fail on logging.
Now things are running much faster and smoother.
If you suspect a sluggish computer or experience errors, check your Virus\Malware software settings.

My timings went from a Max of 70 milliseconds per Spot down to 5-10 milliseconds.

Thanks AGAIN for the rescue Dave,
Joe -KC2TN

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Joe - KC2TN via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 3:49 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] SC & DXK link to WSJTX

I ve been using the SC and DXK link to WSJTX link the past several weeks.

I switched off JTAlert during this time.

I like how the link works showing all my digital award goals.

However, I ve noticed with all the spots from WSJTx flowing into the SC database it gets bloated rather quickly.

I set my purge back to 1 day and I ve been keeping track of it s size. When SC DATABASE approaches 60k records my logging link to DXK stops functioning.

When I purge it again, logging starts up again.

This has happened several times, so at this point it s just an observation. I m not really sure what the cause is.

Normally I d look at my computer horsepower but this is a new set up with a fast computer and plenty of memory.

Just wondering if anyone else had noticed this?

Joe - KC2TN

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com