Rotor Control Question

Rick Heinrich

My station has a yagi and a rotatable dipole on the mast.  The rotatable dipole is parallel to the boom of the yagi.

I am assuming that I can use the "Alignment Panel" to select an offset for the dipole vs the yagi.  How do I set the bands for Ant 1 and Ant 2?  I am OK if only a number is represented for the long-path or short-path direction, but is it possible for the antenna pointing direction to be imposed on a map (equidistant map/world view)?

Still learning all the tricks...

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Rick N0YY

My station has a yagi and a rotatable dipole on the mast. The rotatable dipole is parallel to the boom of the yagi.

I am assuming that I can use the "Alignment Panel" to select an offset for the dipole vs the yagi.

+ Correct, as described in the "Managing an Antenna Mounted with an Offset" section of

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/RotatorControl

+ How do I set the bands for Ant 1 and Ant 2? I am OK if only a number is represented for the long-path or short-path direction, but is it possible for the antenna pointing direction to be imposed on a map (equidistant map/world view)?

+ DXView does not know which antenna is used on which bands. It enables you to define two antennas with differing offsets, and switch between them by double-clicking on the Main window's Heading panel.

+ When you select a location by any of the means described in the initial section of the above-cited article DXView displays your beam heading with a dark blue trace.

Still learning all the tricks...

+ Take a look at

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/Help/Operation.htm#Selecting%20a%20position

+ and

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/Help/Operation.htm#Positioning%20an%20antenna%20rotator

Rick Heinrich

Dave,

Thanks for the quick response.  I had read the referenced documents and had hoped there was something I was missing.  Guess I am always asking a "one-off" question.

Rick N0YY

Thanks for the quick response.  I had read the referenced documents and had hoped there was something I was missing.

+ So you'd like the option to have antenna selection be automatic as a function of your transceiver' current band as reported by Commander?

Guess I am always asking a "one-off" question.
+ Were you able to download and link your DXCC Credits?

Rick Heinrich

Dave,

I have had a running "discussion" with the LoTW desk about this issue.  They continue to tell me that LoTW does not recognize QSL confirmations, yet when I look at my honor roll listing as shown in LoTW the paper confirmations are included.

I have an instance where I have a paper confirmation with a VK9 on Cocos-Keeling.  It does not show as a valid/verified in MyQSO, but again it is in the Honor Roll listing.  I submitted for 5BWAZ and Jose shook his head when he did not find the Zone in 20 phone but did find it in the Honor Roll listing - I got credit for Zone 29 from Jose!

So the simple answer is that DXK is up to date and shows all credits - but disagrees with LoTW!

I also have tQSL questions that are outstanding with LoTW as well.  I have a valid certificate for my Novice callsign but they do not recognize my KZ5 card in LoTW - but again is shows on the honor roll list.

What I am told is that the Honor Roll is a DXCC list - OK I can accept that, but it is shown within LoTW.

Still no real answers...

But DXK is up to date and working perfectly.  I just can't do what wanted "automatically" with LoTW - but did it manually for record keeping.

Rick N0YY

Rick Heinrich

Dave,

What I would like is to have a bi-directional overlay when using the rotatable dipole on 40M vs the direct uni-directional beamwidth for the Yagi.  I already use BCD for radio based antenna selection, but would like the rotor representation to be band selectable.

I think I understand the options for Offsets.

I hope this helps.

Rick N0YY

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2022-08-17 6:35 PM, Rick Heinrich wrote:

I have had a running "discussion" with the LoTW desk about this issue. They continue to tell me that LoTW does not recognize QSL confirmations, yet when I look at my honor roll listing as shown in LoTW the paper confirmations are included.
Rick,

Technically the LotW desk is correct ... to them "LotW" are the QSOs
and QSLs that are shown on the "Your QSOs" view (tab). The information
shown on the "Awards" tab are "Awards" data and reflect data in *OTHER*
applications at ARRL (DXCC credit database, VUCC credit database, WAS
awards granted) and at CW (WAZ and WPX).

I have an instance where I have a paper confirmation with a VK9 on Cocos-Keeling. It does not show as a valid/verified in MyQSO, but again it is in the Honor Roll listing.
Again, a *PAPER* confirmation will *NEVER* appear in "Your QSOs" unless
you happen to get a subsequent "match" (QSL) via LotW. However, if you
go to Awards -> Select DXCC Account -> Mixed/CW/Phone/Data and select
"All Credits" then "Select DXCC Award to view" you will see that QSL
(or a place holder depending on how the ARRL data entry person entered
the QSL record) in the DXCC Credit database.

The number of credits in DXCC Credits Awarded and Total (Current) should
match the equivalent mode/band numbers in DXKeeper's "RealTime Award
Tracking -> Summary" display. If they don't you probably have not
"matched" credits to QSOs correctly somewhere within DXKeeper.

On 2022-08-17 6:35 PM, Rick Heinrich wrote:
Dave,
[...]

+ Rick, have you linked your LoTW account to your DXCC record, as described here?

https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/dxcc-setup/#linking

+ When you direct DXKeeper to download your DXCC Credits so that you can link them to your logged QSOs, DXKeeper obtains them from the ARRL's DXCC system, not from LoTW.

BILL KENNAMER

It may depend upon when you submitted the QSL card to DXCC for credit. For example, if you submitted before 1992, it would have gone on your paper record, and if it was submitted only for Mixed DXCC, there would have been no notation as to mode.

When records were upload from paper DXCC records, we entered only the country code number. No callsigns, no mode. Thus, you would see the correct number of credits in your LOTW record for Mixed DXCC, but there would be no record of mode, band, or callsign, since those didn’t matter for DXCC and weren’t entered.

You can get credit for those by resubmitting the cards, where band, mode, and callsign will be entered.

K5FUV

On Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 7:48 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ I don't know what you mean by "overlay".

+ DXView displays both the short-path and long-path heading to the location you've selected. In this screen shot, for example, it shows the short-path heading from my QTH (the black dot near Boston MA) to the Sovereign Military Order of Malta (blue dot), as well the long-path heading to that same location; these paths correspond to your dipole's two directions of maximum signal strength.

I already use BCD for radio based antenna selection, but would like the rotor representation to be band selectable.

+ For what is BCD an abbreviation (besides "Binary-coded Decimal")?

The screen shot referred to in the message below is here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/Bidirectional.jpg

+ AA6YQ comments below

What I would like is to have a bi-directional overlay when using the rotatable dipole on 40M vs the direct uni-directional beamwidth for the Yagi.

+ I don't know what you mean by "overlay".

+ DXView displays both the short-path and long-path heading to the location you've selected. In this screen shot, for example, it shows the short-path heading from my QTH (the black dot near Boston MA) to the Sovereign Military Order of Malta (blue dot), as well the long-path heading to that same location; these paths correspond to your dipole's two directions of maximum signal strength.

I already use BCD for radio based antenna selection, but would like the rotor representation to be band selectable.

+ For what is BCD an abbreviation (besides "Binary-coded Decimal")?

Rick Heinrich

Dave,

By overlay I am referring to the rotor display which shows the antenna "pointing".  For Yagi antennas it is logical for a single short or long path display.  For a bi-directional antenna like a rotatable dipole it would show a "figure 8".  in the base where the dipole is parallel to the boom of the Yagi, the "figure 8" would be 90 degrees off of the Yagi pointing direction.

So, yes - if a second Yagi were offset from the primary Yagi, then what is shown within the display would be correct.  But I am looking for a bi-directional display for those antennas that do not have a single radiation direction profile.

In my station, I am using Binary Coded Decimal (BCD) from the radio directly to the antenna switch.  I don't use any logging program to drive the antenna selection.  That was done to ensure that should the computer fail, I could still select the antenna directly from the radio when powered up.

I hope this helps explain what I am trying to describe.

Thanks,
Rick N0YY

Rick Heinrich

Dave,

I think I understand the confusion...  I am referring to using a great circle map reference with compass headings.  A Yagi would show a pattern of specified beamwidth pointing in a single direction.  When using a dipole antenna, the pattern would be a figure 8 on a great circle map.

Rick N0YY

By overlay I am referring to the rotor display which shows the antenna "pointing". For Yagi antennas it is logical for a single short or long path display. For a bi-directional antenna like a rotatable dipole it would show a "figure 8". in the base where the dipole is parallel to the boom of the Yagi, the "figure 8" would be 90 degrees off of the Yagi pointing direction.

So, yes - if a second Yagi were offset from the primary Yagi, then what is shown within the display would be correct. But I am looking for a bi-directional display for those antennas that do not have a single radiation direction profile.

+ DXLab does not compute antenna radiation patterns from physical antenna dimensions. Other applications have long provided that functionality.

Rick Heinrich

Bill,

Thank you!  I think I now have the answer I needed for all of this confusion!  All the issues I have are based on paper confirmations prior to 1992!  I guess the answer is to resubmit all the paper cards so that the records can be updated.

That will be a bit of an effort as I waited to apply for DXCC until I had 250 entities and submitted all those cards in blocks.  I need to find records of those incremental submissions and pull the cards together.

Again, thank you for the answer that finally fills the gap in understanding how this "misalignment" happened.

Rick N0YY

Rick Heinrich

Dave,

Thank you for the answer.  I made a few bad assumptions in what I had seen in the DXV dialog.  I realize that you had placed "bandwidth tracks" that were user defined on the map as shown in the attachment.  So I was not anticipating that DXLab was computing the beamwidth, but was user defined.

I guess my ask was to define another antenna mode - bidirectional - which would illustrate forward and reverse lobes set by the user - not calculated by the program.  But as I noted in an earlier response, I may be asking for something that is too specific.

This is a great, integrated package.  I am very pleased that I made the transition from other logging programs.  Yes the learning curve is steep because there are so many features embedded in this outstanding package.

What makes this all so great is your and the responses from other users that have taken steps to move the capabilities forward and then be able to explain their experiences.  My personal shortcoming is that I am NOT software oriented.  But I also know it is unreasonable to have a library of screenshots for every possibility.  Some of my headscratching is based on non-software interpretations of words used to describe interfaces, functions, etc.  That said, no one has ever backed away from helping me understand those shortcomings.  And your specific attention to responding to every nit and detail is AMAZING!

Thank you,
Rick N0YY

Rick Heinrich

My reference to "bandwidth tracks" should have been beamwidth tracks.  Apologies...

Rick N0YY

w6de

Take a look at DXAtlas.  DX Atlas offers an Azimuthal map, that can be configured to have your QTH at the center of the map.

DXAtlas can be integrated into DXView in place of the DXLab supplied map.  After switching to DXAtlas any spot you click on in SpotCollector will place a straight line on the Azimuthal map between your QTH and the DX station.

Install DXAtlas first http://dxatlas.com/ After installation select Azimuthal map and other options, you place your QTH on the map by clicking on the Map where your QTH is.

Then turn on DXAtlas in DXView.

See: DXView | Config | select “World Map” tab | DX Atlas panel.

file:///C:/DXLab/DXView/Help/Configuration.htm#World%20Map%20tab  [Scroll down to the DX Atlas section.]

Follow these instructions first: https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/DXAtlasWindows7

73,

Dave, w6de

[...]

+ The width of the line showing your signal's path on DXView's World Map conveys no meaning. Its primary purpose to illustrate a path's interaction with the (absorbtive) auroral zones, as well as the potential for gray line enhancement.

Rick Heinrich

Dave,

You are, of course, correct.  This is more of a visualization than actual.  The only "function" is a notional indication as to when an antenna could be rotated.  I do not use auto pointing tools because I do not want to dither the pointing.  That is why the beamwidth is a practical visual aid.

I will investigate the plots on the attached map yo provided and see if that would better meet my needs.

Thanks,
Rick N0YY