Rig control error -- UPDATE

Jim Miller, AB3CV

Edited

TLDR VERSION: removing latest Win11 update restored reliable performance. Commander and SC along with WSJT have now run for 16 hours continuously with no errors. Prior to this they would only run for a few minutes. Based on what I saw, the problem was with Win11 and the update to it on this machine rather than DXLabs or WSJT.

The June 2022 Win11 update for some reason impaired the performance of the TCP stack on my machine. No idea why. Removing the update fixed the problems. (Microsoft doesn't make it easy to find out how...) Not only were Commander, SC and WSJT affected but I noticed browser performance (Chroime) was also impaired. DXlabs launcher took multiple tries to connect as well.

Prior to removing the update I checked all the settings to ensure they were in accordance with DXLab instructions for interoperation of WSJT and DXlabs.

I then ran multiple virus scan packages and found no errors.

I also ran sfc /scannow which only found a single file corrupted, one which was the bluetooth driver, and repaired/replaced it.

So before giving up and reinstalling Win11 and all the apps I finally found the tool to uninstall the last update. It's buried in the system repair code upon the special booting options.

Once that was done I ran DXlabs Commander and Spotcollector along with WSJT on a busy band (20m) over night and it is still running now properly coloring LOTW user callsigns and responding to VFOA changes. WSJT is using Commander as the radio.

I've now put a 5 week hold on Win11 updates.

No idea why this update caused this problem on my machine. It's a NUC11 with 16G of memory and a 1T M.2 SSD. Never had an update problem in the past.

73

jim ab3cv

Pete Smith

Thanks, Jim - I'm still using Windows 10 Pro, but just in case the affected component is common to the two OSes, I decided to pause my upgrades until late July.

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 6/20/2022 9:38 AM, Jim Miller, AB3CV wrote:

TLDR VERSION: removing latest Win11 update restored reliable performance. Commander and SC along with WSJT have now run for 16 hours continuously with no errors. Prior to this they would only run for a few minutes. Based on what I saw, the problem was with Win11 and the update to it on this machine rather than DXLabs or WSJT.

The June 2022 Win11 update for some reason impaired the performance of the TCP stack on my machine. No idea why. Removing the update (Microsoft doesn't make it easy to find out how...) Not only were Commander, SC and WSJT affected but I noticed browser performance (Chroime) was also impaired. DXlabs launcher took multiple tries to connect as well.